Libre dependancy

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So...my sensor ran out a couple of days ago and it turned out I'd run out of sensors...I could've cried. I'm now two days into going it alone but feeling really really lost without it. Has anyone else ever done this? Is it just me...or does anyone else feel lost without it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell me about it.
Mine ran out today at midday.
Am in mourning.

I KNOW my bg is fine, and will be all weekend with the menus I have planned.

Doesn't stop me from wanting to see the wee wiggly line on the graph though. It is very reassuring!

Reactions: 2 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar - I got a duff Dexcom transmitter just as Dexcom started up in Europe and were taking over from Advanced Therapeutics.

Followed by a second dud and the receiver packing up.

All in, I was CGMless for a month and it did my head in.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the plus side...I'm quite enjoying the new found freedom of being able to bump into door frames ;)

Magic172

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
****** British Weather
So...my sensor ran out a couple of days ago and it turned out I'd run out of sensors...I could've cried. I'm now two days into going it alone but feeling really really lost without it. Has anyone else ever done this? Is it just me...or does anyone else feel lost without it?
Just Recieved my Freestlye Libre Kit to Trial from my DSN and really impressed with it , so much easier , however way too expensive to maintain for the average person , i will certainly revert to it if/when it becomes available on the NHS. As for normal testing it seems so outdated and clunky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another type 2 who'd wear a Libre all the time if I could afford to, although I know from previous use that most of the time I don't actuaily need it. But I live in a permanent state of "if only i was wearing my sensor today, I'd know ...." [whatever - fill in the dots!]

My meter has always been my diabetic guide and and compass, but my sensor gives me the feeling of absolute control over my invisible beast - even though I know this isn't strictly true. So while its information may not be so vital to my diabetic management, I can understand some of what you feel.

Riobbity

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't use the Libre full time, the times I do I'm scanning all the time, when I'm not using one it takes a few days for me to stop thinking 'if only I had a sensor on ...' but it takes even longer for me to not swear out loud when I've bumped my upper arm on a door frame or what ever and thinking I've caught the sensor!

But regardless of if I have a sensor on or not I now suffer from doorframeaphobia !

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Totally - missing continuous data leaves a surprising hole...

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't use the Libre full time, the times I do I'm scanning all the time, when I'm not using one it takes a few days for me to stop thinking 'if only I had a sensor on ...' but it takes even longer for me to not swear out loud when I've bumped my upper arm on a door frame or what ever and thinking I've caught the sensor!

But regardless of if I have a sensor on or not I now suffer from doorframeaphobia !

I think all of us Libre users can relate to 'doorframephobia'...can't be too many among who've not lost one to a door frame :facepalm:

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Shhhh @Natalie1974 - you'll jinx me! Haven't yet had one of mine suffer from death by doorframe....... but it's only a matter of time!

:)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh this happened to me at the weekend. I put off buying new sensors until payday and then the sensor I applied on Sunday didn't work!

I now also have a 5-7 day wait for a replacement. I'm so cross with myself for not having a spare. To top it off I had a really nasty fall when out running on Sunday afternoon and have some very deep lacerations all down one arm and leg. They're really inflamed (my elbow has an extra elbow and my knee has an extra knee!) and possibly a smidge infected (have already gotten antibiotics from GP this AM) and now my sugars are trying to run high all the time. A sensor would have been really useful this week - sob!

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
Just new to the whole Libre thing and so far i'm struggling a wee bit. I was checking my bloods way too much and catching it on a high after food when my insulin hadn't even had a chance to work yet which then made me consider more insulin!!!! The graph freaks me out as its such a rollercoaster and it makes me feel that i'm making a complete **** of looking after my blood sugar levels. I am just being libre paranoid and are there fail safe ways of using this thing?????

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just new to the whole Libre thing and so far i'm struggling a wee bit. I was checking my bloods way too much and catching it on a high after food when my insulin hadn't even had a chance to work yet which then made me consider more insulin!!!! The graph freaks me out as its such a rollercoaster and it makes me feel that i'm making a complete **** of looking after my blood sugar levels. I am just being libre paranoid and are there fail safe ways of using this thing?????
I had this problem too initially...which led me to make a fair few mistakes if I'm honest. There is a tendency to over react to the ups and downs but given time you will start to see the effects of food and insulin much more clearly and get a better understanding of how long your insulin takes to work for different types of foods. There is no fail safe method...but keep in mind any insulin on board before topping up. I found the daily patterns to be really useful too in terms of adjusting my basal rate...it can be a real eye opener at first but over time and with a lot of tweaking I've managed to gain really good control of my blood sugars now...although the thought of doing it without my libre is a pretty daunting thought these days

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
I had this problem too initially...which led me to make a fair few mistakes if I'm honest. There is a tendency to over react to the ups and downs but given time you will start to see the effects of food and insulin much more clearly and get a better understanding of how long your insulin takes to work for different types of foods. There is no fail safe method...but keep in mind any insulin on board before topping up. I found the daily patterns to be really useful too in terms of adjusting my basal rate...it can be a real eye opener at first but over time and with a lot of tweaking I've managed to gain really good control of my blood sugars now...although the thought of doing it without my libre is a pretty daunting thought these days
Thanks for that, and yes i'm hoping that the libre will prove to be life changing for me and help to get much better control over things. I'm also loving this site as the new info i've gathered tonight alone is staggering considering i've been diabetic for 26 years!!!!!!!!
I was reading on one forum that there are a lot of people having bad reactions to the glue used to stick the libre sensors, i'm on my first one and will be changing to second one tomorrow and fingers crossed no bad reaction as yet.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also guilty of over reacting to "it's still going up! Why's my bs still going up?!?" after meals, but it did lead me to discover that bolusing after eating wasn't the best way forward and that I could bolus up to half an hour ahead of time to reduce the spike (usual disclaimer: your diabetes may vary).

So @jinty73 you're not paranoid. I was told 'do a blood test, eat and bolus. If your blood sugar is in range two hours later, then you got it right.' Now I've found that there's a bit more to it...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jinty73 if you haven't already you could enable the 'professional' mode that allows you to use the libre to calculate your bolus (only if you use it to do blood tests as well) it then gives you the little yellow man symbol which will allow you to see how much insulin you already have on board - this will allow you to work out if you might need an insulin top-up or not and avoid 'stacking'.

Most people do find they are surprised at how up and down their BG levels are using it for the first time, and the majority soon work out that pre-bolus'ing helps, and also not to over treat hypos and also catching a low before it goes too low.

I'm a reactor to the adhesive, I wasn't to start with but about 3rd or 4th sensor in I started to itch and sensors left a red mark, they also weep and then become loose and fall off - Abbot are very good at replacing sensors that 'fail'.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@jinty73 if you haven't already you could enable the 'professional' mode that allows you to use the libre to calculate your bolus (only if you use it to do blood tests as well) it then gives you the little yellow man symbol which will allow you to see how much insulin you already have on board - this will allow you to work out if you might need an insulin top-up or not and avoid 'stacking'.

Most people do find they are surprised at how up and down their BG levels are using it for the first time, and the majority soon work out that pre-bolus'ing helps, and also not to over treat hypos and also catching a low before it goes too low.

I'm a reactor to the adhesive, I wasn't to start with but about 3rd or 4th sensor in I started to itch and sensors left a red mark, they also weep and then become loose and fall off - Abbot are very good at replacing sensors that 'fail'.

As of first thing this morning before my circuit class i have been taking my insulin before eating(if warranted to do so by what i'm eating), well, i can't believe how good my results have been so far today. On my libre i have almost managed to stay within my set range and no massive peaks at all!!!!! I have also printed off a huge amount of info regarding glycemic levels in different foods that make all the difference to when i should be taking my insulin. What an eyeopener this has been for me and i can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction:)

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi CapnGrumpy, do i not have to get my diabetic nurse or dr to access that part of the libre for me as it asks for a code? I do find that a bit annoying as surely as i've paid stupid money to have the machine i should be able to access all its bits and bobs!!!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi CapnGrumpy, do i not have to get my diabetic nurse or dr to access that part of the libre for me as it asks for a code? I do find that a bit annoying as surely as i've paid stupid money to have the machine i should be able to access all its bits and bobs!!!

Check your messages!