dvla question 3b hypos

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so im reading the dvla diabetes form and on question 3b it says

Have you had an episode of hypoglycaemia?
Yes No If you have answered NO, do not answer questions 3c, 3d, 3e and 3f. Go straight to Section 2: Special Controls (see overleaf)

what exactly does it mean... im confused

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Are you saying that you don't know what a hypoglycaemic episode is?

If you've had a hypo annswer yes, and then answer the next questions.

If you've not had a hypo, answer no, and skip the next questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It just means that if you answer Yes you have to reply to 3c, 3d, 3e and 3f, very few type 1's would answer No but what the DVLA want to know (and are concerned about) is were the hypo's severe where you needed assistance from someone.

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you saying that you don't know what a hypoglycaemic episode is?

i know what a hypo and the symptoms is... but if i have a normal hypo and can spot it and treat it myself ..like the question says...
Have you had an episode of hypoglycaemia? ...should i put yes
but i have never passed out or had to have any emergency treatment because of one like the other question

Have you had more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia (requiring assistance from another person) in the last 12 months?

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they put it in because if you're diabetic but not on insulin (or other hypo-inducing medications) there's no need to answer questions about hypos.

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It just means that if you answer Yes you have to reply to 3c, 3d, 3e and 3f, very few type 1's would answer No but what the DVLA want to know (and are concerned about) is were the hypo's severe where you needed assistance from someone.

so if i have a normal hypo and can spot it and treat it myself ..like the question says...
but i have never passed out or had to have any emergency treatment because of one like the other question

Have you had more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia (requiring assistance from another person) in the last 12 months?

so i wont loose my licence because of a hypo which i can spot and treat

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds a bit like you are trying to answer question 3c at question 3b. 3b is asking if you have had a hypo - have you had a blood suga below 4 (if you are a type 1 diabetic treated with insuli unless you have been sprinkled with fairy dust you are going to have to tick yes, then answering 3c onwards gives you the opportunity to "explain" as you did in your post above, you have awareness, you treat them unaided etc...)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
You shouldn't do. But double check which boxes you are ticking. DVLA may be unforgiving if you make a mistake.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes you would answer Yes if you'd had a hypo, the questions thereafter ask if it was a severe (assisted hypo).

Just answer the questions truthfully but don't make a mistake as this can take some time to rectify (going by some members experiences with the DVLA).

denbo

Answer is yes as most diabetics AV a hypo then it asks u if u r aware when u AV a hypo and if u AV ad 3 party assistants