sugarfree red bull and coffee

lionrampant

None in moderation. Although there was a study somewhere recently (cannot remember where I saw it) that said even black coffee can raise blood sugar levels. Odd. :?

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hello derrick013,
The taurine in red bull can lower your blood sugar levels by improving your body's sensitivity to insulin. Taurine will also lower your blood sugar by mimicking the action of insulin.
The caffeine in coffee(and red bull) will cause your blood sugars to rise.

Regards,
timo.

Graham55

Hi,
Dont know if this helps but i test when i get home but before i have even a coffee if i even just taist my coffee my number goes up dramatically.
I take my coffee black with sweetex.??????

Leyland21

'Sugarfree' red bull? Full of caffeine - increases your blood pressure dramatically. Can be dangerous stuff if you drink too much!

ally5555

yes it is banned in france - the caffeine content is around 90mg - an espresso contains more so i have never been able to work out the logic!

I actually loath these stimulant drinks esp if people drink alot of them - I have encountered people not just sportsmen who drink 3-4 a day and it can cause palpitations, inc heart rate etc - its an unatural product.

pixie

before i got diabetes i used to drink vodka and red bull on a night
one night after a few, i felt like i was having a heart attack, couldn't breath, heart racing, pains in my chest
haven't touched the nasty stuff since, not even the sugar free stuff....its evil i tells ye!

Sweet3x

Red Bull (proper) was banned in France up until a few weeks ago, due to some additive (not caffeine) in it (I thought it was the Taurine or whatever it is?) Red Bull removed this additive, and now it's for sale in France. They had a huge sales thingy on the day it launched, mini's driving around Paris with huge Red Bull cans on top of them.
No idea if this is related to sugar free stuff.
It won't be the caffeine content that is the reason it's banned in France, however.

Nellie

It won't be the caffeine content that is the reason it's banned in France, however
According to the Connexion ( an English paper in France) it was because of 2 ingredients taurine and glucoractone which were said to affect heart rate and blood pressure.

Leyland21

Next time you open a can of red bull, have a look inside before you take swig...... there be eyes in there, looking at thee.....

Don't touch it....!

RichWatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know this thread is old, but i'm new to the forum and am hoping it will encourage a new conversation about sugar free red bull as I am looking for an alternative to coffee for those times when i need a quick energy boost.

It is true that coffee will raise your blood sugar. The caffeine hit makes your body release adrenaline, like the fight or flight reaction. in turn, this tells your liver to release extra glucose in the anticipation of needing to make a quick escape. Therefore the stronger your coffee the more your BG will rise. And i like strong espresso...

So, with that in mind, can any one add any experiences of using either sugar free red bull, or anything else for that matter, for a quick boost which does not have a significant impact on blood sugars? (btw class A is not the answer :***: )

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Does Caffine really spike your BG? I seriously I hope not as I drink industrial amounts of Coke-Zero...

If it does have an influence, then it's probably only a second order effect. I haven't researched it thoroughly, but from what I've seen most of the data is based on people consuming caffine and carbs together, which isn't a consideration for a low-carb dieter (or at least one that is very worried about insulin spikes:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517856-can-caffeine-kick-you-out-of-ketosis/ said:
Caffeine might increase insulin resistance, which might make losing weight more difficult and also increase your chances of developing type 2 diabetes, although this has not been clinically proven. A study conducted by researchers from Duke University Medical Center in the August 2004 issue of "Diabetes Care," published by the American Diabetes Association, discussed the effects of caffeine on blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity. This study showed that 250 mg of caffeine did not change fasting glucose levels but did raise glucose levels after consumption of 75 g of glucose compared with placebo.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/51785 ... z1t9mNsXj0

I know that lots of weight-lifters also use ECA-Stack (Ephedrine+Caffeine+Asprin) to increase fat burning while on ketogenic diets, which would suggest that any caffeine generated insulin spike isn't enough to knock them out of ketosis.