LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
Ladies and gents

I have recently being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I drive a taxi mainly evenings and nights. Trying to eat healthily has always been difficult. I now bring in a home made dinner. Is this ok ingredients wise:

2 x 100g turkey chunks
2 x boiled eggs
Tomato
Cucumber
A few olives
Cup size portion of brown pasta
Desert spoon low fat Mayo.

I swap the turkey for 2 x tuna in spring water. Also swap pasta for a packet of 2 minute microwave whole
grain rice.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully

Any other

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I don't know if this helps but I've cut my carbs intake to sub-30g a day. I would advise you to watch all carbs including complex carbs. You're right to have brown pasta instead of white. I personally just have a cooked breakfast in the mornings and my lunch and supper is purely protein and vegetables based. I do eat fruit but I still have to be careful.

My advice would be to watch all carbs and never skip meals. So have a filling cooked breakfast (grill your meat) and a balanced lunch as well as main meal
I would also get a blood sugar monitor to help ascertain what foods give you blood sugar jumps

Sent from my D6603 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LondonCabby17 :)

Let me tag @daisy1 who has some basic information.

Do you test your blood sugar? Testing two hours after a meal will show you how you're doing and if you need to take a look at the amount of carbs in your meal.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Forget about any kind of rice, pasta, bread or potatoes at least until you are confident have your blood glucose levels under control. Complex carbohydrates whole grain are still carbohydrates. The best kind of tinned Tuna for LCHF diet is any packed in oil preferably Olive Oil.
For a diabetic eating you have to turn most of the healthy plate eating that has been pushed to us for 30 years upside down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't say which meds (if any) you are taking, but generally speaking you need to test out meals that contain rice, pasta, bread, spuds, cereals and products made with flour, whether white or wholemeal. These are our danger foods as they convert to glucose once inside the system. A glucose meter will be of enormously helpful in showing you whether you need to avoid any of these foods or reduce the amounts you eat.
Also, change your low fat mayo for real mayo as it is better for you and has less carbohydrate
Personally I use Helmans Real Mayo. You can also make your own.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents

I have recently being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I drive a taxi mainly evenings and nights. Trying to eat healthily has always been difficult. I now bring in a home made dinner. Is this ok ingredients wise:

2 x 100g turkey chunks
2 x boiled eggs
Tomato
Cucumber
A few olives

I swap the turkey for 2 x tuna in spring water. Also swap pasta for a packet of 2 minute microwave whole
grain rice.

Any other

A couple of quick questions, Cabby.

Do you take any medication fr your diabetes, and secondly do you do finger prick blood testing at home?

LondonCabby17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life is too short for dislikes.
I am taking Metaformin 500g twice a day and Rampril 2.5 once a day. I have been taking these since the beginning of May. My initial blood tests came back with a HbA1c reading of 104. The Doctor wants this to be down to 70 by my next appointment in December. I also have an appointment with the Desmond Clinic in August when I hope to learn a lot more. I currently do not have a self test kit, I take it from the responses i should invest in one. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that diet is quite good. Although some people find it easy to cut carbs to below 50gm/day many struggle including me. Certainly get them as low as you can and 150gm as a possible maximum.

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the replies. I found out the hard way that I had to reduce carbs as much as possible as these are the danger foods. I now avoid rice potatoes and rice and cut back on wheat bran cereal due to carbs being too high. The cooked breakfast is the best way to work diabetics but avoid or restrict baked beans - even the reduced sugar variety. You're better off avoiding sandwiches for lunch - replace this with soups or salads. Dinner should be lean white meat or fish (white or oily fish is best). I personally wouldn't touch potatoes rice or pasta at all. You can eat good size portions but stick to protein and you need your greens

Sent from my D6603 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd say less carbs and more fat, since you're asking.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'd add some great fat laden, low carb nuts like Brasil, hazelnuts, walnuts etc. Tesco provide mixed bags of these usually in their natural food sidle, not with the roasted, salted rubbish:)

This group are only 5% carbs.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@LondonCabby17

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. The advice on carbs and the link to the Low Carb Program should be interesting for you. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

fene48

Ladies and gents

2 x 100g turkey chunks
2 x boiled eggs
Tomato
Cucumber
A few olives

grain rice.

Any other

Considering all the other comments, just one small tip. If you must have pasta (brown or white)as a treat, cook it the day before you need it (or store it in the freezer). This increases the amount of resistant starch by about 50% and reduces the effect on BGL's by roughly the same amount..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am taking Metaformin 500g twice a day and Rampril 2.5 once a day. I have been taking these since the beginning of May. My initial blood tests came back with a HbA1c reading of 104. The Doctor wants this to be down to 70 by my next appointment in December. I also have an appointment with the Desmond Clinic in August when I hope to learn a lot more. I currently do not have a self test kit, I take it from the responses i should invest in one. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Cabby, in your shoes, I'd definitely invest in a blood meter. That way you get feedback to you (in the form of the test results), and that will help guide you with what foods you can and can't comfortably eat, moving forward.

If you eat something and have a high reading, you then have a couple of options. You could banish it to the dietary hinterlands, never to be seen again, try it again, only next time halve the portion size or just put it onto a "once in a rare while" list for high days and holidays.

Looking at what you're eating now, I could be inclined to want to know how you react to the rice and pasta. Some can manage them, and others find them too tricky (based on testing).

For that sort of packed/picnic meal these days, I'd have all your delicious foods, but instead of the pasta or rice, I'd do some home made coleslaw. Shredded cabbage, a little onion/shallot, grated carrot (and whatever else is lurking in the pantry/fridge), then add whole fat Hellmans. that's so delicious that I almost always have a big Tupperware box of the stuff in the fridge. It's a great filler, and you can perk it up by adding cheese, hot sauce, if you like a bit of a spark.

Good luck with it all. You have an enquiring mind, so I reckon you'll do fine.

Reactions: 4 people
Ladies and gents

2 x 100g turkey chunks
2 x boiled eggs
Tomato
Cucumber
A few olives

grain rice.

Any other

I will suggest you please consult with your Dietitian because there is lot of information over diabetes but all that requires some evidence based research. Diabetes is global issue so don't experiment on yourself unless you are **** sure about results or benefits.