memory ??

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Ive been type 2 for about 18 months using insulin. Ive had very bad days and not so bad but I am finding that my memory isnt as good as it was. it may just be an age thing im 56 but ??? i would love to know if anyone else feels this way.

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well @parrotlady , I am 55 and I know that my erm.....my erm.....my erm.............MEMORY! is not as sharp as it used to be.

I guess it would depend on exactly what it is that you are experiencing? Not remembering where you parked the car in a multi storey car park is entirely different to not being able to remember the names of your children (for example).

Reactions: 5 people

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Well @parrotlady , I am 55 and I know that my erm.....my erm.....my erm.............MEMORY! is not as sharp as it used to be.

I guess it would depend on exactly what it is that you are experiencing? Not remembering where you parked the car in a multi storey car park is entirely different to not being able to remember the names of your children (for example).

hi @urbanracer i cant really explain. i just dont feel i can remember as clear as i used to. its like im thinking through fog sometimes. !!!!
love your pic a fellow biker. what do you ride. i follow my husband as pillion on his R1

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had a thread recently about the same thing.
I was rereading a series of books but couldn't remember the last two books, it's like I never read them.
Memory problems can be caused by many things including being ill!
Wether T2 affects your memory, I'm not so sure!

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
I have had a thread recently about the same thing.
I was rereading a series of books but couldn't remember the last two books, it's like I never read them.
Memory problems can be caused by many things including being ill!
Wether T2 affects your memory, I'm not so sure!
That sounds a lot like me. do you think i should talk to doc??

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi @urbanracer i cant really explain. i just dont feel i can remember as clear as i used to. its like im thinking through fog sometimes. !!!!
love your pic a fellow biker. what do you ride. i follow my husband as pillion on his R1

Fog? Could it be when your blood sugars are high,? I do remember having similar experiences before I started on Insulin, I was finding it hard to concentrate on things.

In answer to your question, GPZ1100S, but the car sees many more miles these days.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That sounds a lot like me. do you think i should talk to doc??

You can do, they have tests for early onset Alzheimer's.
Only takes a few minutes.
The brain is a complex organ and it will always help you live through the worst times, sometimes forgetting is a good thing, but I found forgetting memorys that I should remember difficult to accept!
I remember my hypo hell, but the details are thin on the ground!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@parrotlady , are you on statins? I came off statins when I realised they were affecting my memory. At the time, my GP said there was only anecdotal evidence that statins affected memory, but a short time later drug companies were told to include memory problems as a possible side effect.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have been the same lately, getting worse if I am honest.

I first noticed at a job interview a few weeks back when they were asking me to recall a time I had to do things, I couldn't think of one .................. and tomorrow I have an appointment with my Dsn who I have seen for the past 14 year or so and I could not remember her name at all until I looked at an e-mail from her, it is becoming quiet a worry

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
No im not on statins just insulin. Im the same i get a complete blank sometimes when I know I should know something. Also working things out like when i did something or went somewhere can be difficult.. ive been wondering if i can try those memory exercises i wonder if they might help. anyone had a go??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this in the couple of years between developing T2 and really getting on top of my blood glucose levels. I STILL have no memory of a lot of what went on during that time. I always called it brain fog. And it affected short term memory a lot. I was seriously thinking that I had early onset Alzheimers.

- and my blood glucose wasn't even that high. My HbA1c at the time was around the high 40s.

Once I got on top of things though, I my memory started recording things again.

I hope you find the answer. It was a worrying place to be!

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
I had this in the couple of years between developing T2 and really getting on top of my blood glucose levels. I STILL have no memory of a lot of what went on during that time. I always called it brain fog. And it affected short term memory a lot. I was seriously thinking that I had early onset Alzheimers.

- and my blood glucose wasn't even that high. My HbA1c at the time was around the high 40s.

Once I got on top of things though, I my memory started recording things again.

I hope you find the answer. It was a worrying place to be!
thanks for that. youve given me hope that maybe i can get through this. i feel such a fool sometimes when i dont know whats going on. it is scary

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can watch a film one night and I've forgotten by the time I've woken up... Same with reading books.. Yet I have really enjoyed the films or books. So its not due to lack of interest.
Moved house last Oct, didn't drive for 4 months but still haven't got a clue where I'm going wven though I really try...
Brain really has diminished..
Yet good memory for other things.
I know both my Mum and my Gran hAve/had bad memories so I just put it down to more bad genes..

Reactions: 2 people

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
I can watch a film one night and I've forgotten by the time I've woken up... Same with reading books.. Yet I have really enjoyed the films or books. So its not due to lack of interest.
Moved house last Oct, didn't drive for 4 months but still haven't got a clue where I'm going wven though I really try...
Brain really has diminished..
Yet good memory for other things.
I know both my Mum and my Gran hAve/had bad memories so I just put it down to more bad genes..
Sounds just like me :confused::confused::confused:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No im not on statins just insulin. Im the same i get a complete blank sometimes when I know I should know something. Also working things out like when i did something or went somewhere can be difficult.. ive been wondering if i can try those memory exercises i wonder if they might help. anyone had a go??

They did help me a little bit.
I found out that writing things down or putting it in your personal computer or downloading information and learning things again. Like I needed to do with my new job. I made real improvements in my memory and like my food diary and recording all my blood levels, you can use that to remind you, how you were coping and if you are making improvements in your diabetes care.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
It's very common when HbA1c's are high and in hyperglycaemia when your cognitive functions are diminished- a sort of brain fog when you don't take 100% in and that's usually why you have difficulty remembering. I had it for years with HbA1c's between 80-112 mmol/mol. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's very common when HbA1c's are high and in hyperglycaemia when your cognitive functions are diminished- a sort of brain fog when you don't take 100% in and that's usually why you have difficulty remembering. I had it for years with HbA1c's between 80-112 mmol/mol. :)

If you read up on the affect of hypoglycaemia on the brain, that can be very dangerous as well. My memory fog coincided with my hypo hell, which included hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia in the mix.
The list of symptoms is long, which includes, memory loss, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
If you read up on the affect of hypoglycaemia on the brain, that can be very dangerous as well. My memory fog coincided with my hypo hell, which included hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia in the mix.
The list of symptoms is long, which includes, memory loss, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression.
I should have included it, usually it's quicker to raise your BGs than to reduce them. Sometimes hyperglycaemia goes on for hours whereas hypoglycaemia deteriorates so quickly it can be a hospital admission. I think you knew where I was coming from.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I should have included it, usually it's quicker to raise your BGs than to reduce them. Sometimes hyperglycaemia goes on for hours whereas hypoglycaemia deteriorates so quickly it can be a hospital admission. I think you knew where I was coming from.

Oh yeah!
If I had a choice of either!
It would be hyperglycaemia!
But neither suits me better!

Is that a small poem?

DaveThompson

I hope my employer reads this before my discipline hearing. I got suspended for poor performance in the couple of months before I was diagnosed. Hba1c of 107. They don't believe it's related to my condition. T2 by the way.