Breakfast Cereals

jbatista

Hi all, what cereals do you all eat in a morning as I begin to look at All Bran or fruit and fibre and the amount of sugars per 100g they have are enormous..
My usual breakfast is Porridge..as it keeps me filled up..sometimes I have shredded wheet or oatabix

bedshaped2000

hi watch yourself on the shredded wheat and the porridge.i was getting excellent readings after 2 hrs but the 1 hour readings were horrific! the only cereal i have is lizis granola which is gl tested and is the only cereal i can have which doesnt mess with bgs even the chocolate flavoured one gives good results. i was eating weetabix and shredded what all the time until someone advised me on here to try a 1 hour test . never again :oops:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jbatista,

Usual advice on here is to eat to your meter. Should porridge not cause post-meal spikes, then it is obviousely one cereal you can handle. Remember, it is all about portion control as well, a smaller portion in your breakfast bowl will have less impact on bg's than a larger portion.

I can eat all-bran without any problems, so this is my prefered choice. Remember to keep testing 1 and 2 hours after eating.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wouldn't dare eat any cereals. I have a piece of cheese, a slice of salami or eggs, with or without bacon.
Hana

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cereal manufacturers have done a fantastic job at convincing the vast majority that their products are somehow a breakfast staple. The norm, in the developed world. Generally speaking, they're highly refined starches, flavoured with salt and sugar and then magically fortified to chemically add the nutrients they stripped out in the first place, all at an astronomic premium on the cost of the raw ingredients. When I see some of the chocolate garbage touted at children, I could cry sometimes.
Not only are they completely unneccesary, in my view, they are about as far removed from proper food as it's possible to get - meat, fish, veg., dairy etc.
Now, back to my chocolate straws.

fergus

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess enjoys porridge, weetabix or cornflakes if she has a cereal for breakfast. Read the labels, some of the cereals are terrible for added sugars, especially the children's cereals.

John aka Wallycorker

jbatista said:
Hi all, what cereals do you all eat in a morning as I begin to look at All Bran or fruit and fibre and the amount of sugars per 100g they have are enormous..
My usual breakfast is Porridge..as it keeps me filled up..sometimes I have shredded wheet or oatabix
Hi,

I used to eat all of those and real porridge too! All of them sent me into double figures so I've stopped eating them altogether these days. It's grilled bacon and tomatoes for me most days - sometimes with mushrooms and/or a fried egg.

The only cereal that I found gave me a satisfactory result was Lizi's granola - a low-GI nut-based cereal. Tesco used to sell it but seem to have stopped. It's available in Waitrose I understand.

Best wishes - John

Shazza

Ewan has turkey rashers and a slice of toast, or 25g cereal the small kids boxes his bs is ok with these altho it is a small amount of cereal

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hiya,

I have a single wheatabix at 9 am and a single shredded wheat at 11 am with soya milk. Seems to be ok for me.

Carl

Reactions: lorraine95

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just bought Lizi's Granola on a recommendation off here, I will have a go with it in the morning, I will let you know how I get on.

John aka Wallycorker

kay957 said:
I have just bought Lizi's Granola on a recommendation off here, I will have a go with it in the morning, I will let you know how I get on.
Hope that it goes well for you kay957! Which shop did you find selling it?

Best wishes - John

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
John aka Wallycorker said:
kay957 said:
Hope that it goes well for you kay957! Which shop did you find selling it?

Best wishes - John

Hi ya John,

I got it from Tesco's, I just had some for brekkie and it's really delicious. On reading the package it has less sugars than porridge. I took a reading before eating and will take one in 2 hours to see what the effects are. I had the pecan variety which is even tastier.

bedshaped2000

the pecan and treacle gave me higher reedings than the other ones. the belgian chocalate one gave the best results for me suprisengly though i cant handle chocolate in the morning so i use it sometimes as a pudding mixed with greek yogurt yummy!

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well before breakfast today my BG levels was 6.0, I ate Lizi's granola and 2 hours later my levels was 7.3, that is a far better reading than I got from porridge. :D I am glad I have found another cereal to eat, it's hard being a diabetic and trying out different cereals, it doesn't suit many people but I seem ok on cereals. Unfortunately all those cereals I used to have are now banned from my diet.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Have you tried testing at 3 and 4 hours ? If it is slow acting it may well ' peak' later on.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After 3 hours my BG levels were 5.8 so it comes down steady, it reamins there until lunch, so it sustains me until lunch time.