Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm kinda diabetic (confusing) so I'm currently under going diagnosis for type 1 most doctors r saying I have it but I need to see a consultant and my blood sugars r pretty stable ish around 15 16 normally so aperently I can wait juts to check 4-5 times a day and if it gets above 18 its dangerous ? So I tested it this morming and it said HI but I felt kinda okay so I thought the meter is broken and tested some water which was LO tested again mine said HI then later on today (last hour) I've felt really dizzy and faint and my stomach really hurts I keep being sick food and have the last few days but I'm not losing weight well barely ? I tested it and it came up as HI 4 times In a row after testing on different fingers what does this mean???

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you should right your doctor's surgery right away and explain to them what's happening. You don't want to get dka and you mentioned a couple of the symptoms of this.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Meters usually have an upper limit (check your instructions) and above this limit the meter will just read HI and not give a glucose reading.

Not sure about the advice your nurse gave you, I always thought that being consistently higher than 15mmol was dangerous. If you feel ill, I suggest you seek urgent medical assistance.

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you should right your doctor's surgery right away and explain to them what's happening. You don't want to get dka and you mentioned a couple of the symptoms of this.
What if I waited till the morning ???

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI on a monitor normally means over 30 - this is a dangerously high blood sugar level. Do you have any means of testing for ketones?

You have been runing at 15 for some time, this is more than twice the normal blood sugar target. This suggests you have insufficient insulin.

The symptoms of dizziness and stomach pain are symptoms of DKA - a dangerous condition which requires urgent treatment.

Please call 111 for advice or go to A&E. It wouldn't be unreasonable to call 999.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just asked my mum to take me and said she doesn't think its anything serious

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the uk? If so, Call 111 - it's a free phone number for medical advice

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is serious, show her these posts. You need urgent medical attention. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your help everyone I'm gonna phone 111 and see what they say

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your help everyone I'm gonna phone 111 and see what they say

Well done, let us know how you get on and if you have any questions during the call feel free to ask (ask 111 first, then us). Do try and involve your mum on the call if you can - they might advise that you get to A&E and ask if there is anyone who can take you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi the did tell me to go A&E and the doctor said I had ketoacidos?? So my blood is acidic or something they gave me alot of insulin and put me on a drip over night they gave me some more insulin this morning after breakfast and I'm still on the drip they said I've made good progress over night (whatever that means) and that I can go home after a few days to which is good xx thanks so everyone xx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi the did tell me to go A&E and the doctor said I had ketoacidos?? So my blood is acidic or something they gave me alot of insulin and put me on a drip over night they gave me some more insulin this morning after breakfast and I'm still on the drip they said I've made good progress over night (whatever that means) and that I can go home after a few days to which is good xx thanks so everyone xx

So glad to hear you are being taken care of and doing well :)