Showering and the pump

Nicepud

Hope you can give me some advice.....
I started pumping yesterday, a Pardigm Veo, and so far so good. But I need a shower!! :oops:

When I remove the pump should I suspend the insulin or leave it dripping? If I suspend it do I need to re prime or fill cannula before reconnecting? And is the infusion set ok left open to the elements?I'm using Quick-set.

Thanks for your time.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I always suspend the pump when removing for longer than 10 minutes or so. There should be no need to prime before reconnecting/restarting. I use the Silhouette set which comes with 2 end caps to temporarily seal the cannula and tubing when detached, not sure what the Quickset has, don't think I've ever used one.

meela83

I asked my nurse about this and she told me not to suspend when taking it off, when going to reconnect she also told me to fill canulla to check that it is coming through.

barkbark

I have been told that when disconnecting my pump for say 30 minutes or so to leave the pump running. This ensures the insulin pressure in the line remains and helps ensure no air bubbles are formed. When reconnecting the line to an existing canula no priming is needed although I do usually bolus .2 or .3 of unit to cover the insulin not delivered whilst my pump was disconnected.

dvent

Does everyone use the clip when going in the shower i.e. the clip to stop water getting in? I have not been using this, just wondering if this could cause a problem?

Thanks
dvent

meela83

I don't bother, nurse said she wouldn't bother if it were her just make sure you use it when swimming as you dont know what bugs are in the pool!

tanj666

Dislikes
cheese
I use the cover clip when showering still, well most of the time.

I've always stopped the pump and had it do its annoying plaintive beep while I shower. But reading the posts here, I'll not bother. It'll save me the quick bolus I do to refill the tube.

So, hopefully you'll all learn from my mistakes as I am learning from your comments.

Anthony

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now i feel chastised as I don't even bother with the clip when showering or in the pool. I guess I am just too lax!

Tim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never suspend my pump when it is off to prevent any bubbles forming. I also don't use the clip while showering etc but sometimes the edge catches on the towel when drying (very rarely).

Been too cold to swim but haven’t thought about this... hmm, maybe I should not throw them away when changing sets.

ajrees3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tim said:
I never suspend my pump when it is off to prevent any bubbles forming. I also don't use the clip while showering etc but sometimes the edge catches on the towel when drying (very rarely).

Been too cold to swim but haven’t thought about this... hmm, maybe I should not throw them away when changing sets.

Ditto - I never suspend my pump either. Although I have a waterproof pump (Animas), I have never tested this as there is nowhere to hang my pump whilst in the shower! and I have never tried swimming since I've been diabetic!! um ... I do however use the clips supplied when changing sets.

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
er, i was told to take the pump off and then bolus to fill the canular? but am i only meant to bolus if i put the pump in stop mode ? :?:
cr741 :)

liklejojo

I was told to just disconnect pump and leave it running whilst in the shower, then as soon as your out reconnect and do a fixed prime to fill the cannula again - although admittedly I do forget that bit most of the time oops :D