Type 1 Swollen feet and ankles

mesholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had swollen feet and ankles for over a week, and I'm not sure what to do. I've been to the doctors and had blood tests, I'll get the results on Monday. In the meantime I'm really not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

C

catherinecherub

Has the Dr. given you any advice and are you on any medication or supplements that this could be a side effect from? The warmer weather may have something to do with it.
Try and relax and keep your feet higher than your head when you lay on a sofa or bed. Also keep hydrated and I hope you get some answers when you go back to the surgery on Monday.

Reactions: 2 people

mesholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has the Dr. given you any advice and are you on any medication or supplements that this could be a side effect from? The warmer weather may have something to do with it.
Try and relax and keep your feet higher than your head when you lay on a sofa or bed. Also keep hydrated and I hope you get some answers when you go back to the surgery on Monday.
Thanks Catherine, I'm doing all of this, so will see what the doctor says tomorrow. I'm type 1 for over 40 year's and this is a new thing for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to get badly swollen feet and ankles in hot weather, and have done so for years, way before I was ever diabetic. Doctor gave me the same advice to keep feet up high as much as possible. I was also given support stockings which unfortunately didn't do much to help.

Robbity

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I too used to get swollen feet and ankles in the heat. Now that I don't have to be standing or rushing about so much and have lost excess weight I don't seem to be troubled with them but I'd say keeping off your feet when your ankles are swollen will help, it did me

Stuntman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started getting swollen feet and legs to the stage its incrusting pain and the only thing that takes them away IS AMITRIPTYLINE I've been to the docs so many times and they have giving me water tablets that was actually stopping me from dong the toilet but I've tried everything from stop taking salt altogether water tablets drinking 6 ltrs of water aday to flush it out and nothing is taking it away except amitriptyline but I can only take them at the weekend when am not working