My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fast day almost done. Weighed in and am down 2.2kgs in two weeks. 3.5kgs until I hit my next 10kg increment so it's moving in the right direction... X

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Reactions: 7 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG today was 6.5. I was expecting lower having fasted but I did have half a lidl protein roll with butter and a cup of tea before bed because I just fancied it. Really enjoyed it actually. I've never actually tested after having one, perhaps I should! I've noticed that I get higher FBG if I have tea before bed. Not sure why though but I avoid it now...

Three more days left at work and I can't wait to finish. Spoke to new teacher yesterday and it sounds like I won't have much room for responsibility or creativity as she wants to do everything. Upside is I can stick to my hours and fit in more free time for myself and maybe then I'll be able to start getting more organised in the house....

Car mot today and I hope it passes without a glitch. I think it's ok.

Did a quick calculation and so far I've lost two and three quarter stones! people are starting to notice which is nice although I've got a very long way to go....

Have a good day! Xxx

----------

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A rubbish 6.6 for me today. I was good yesterday too but it was hot! Fasting today so want a lower reading tomorrow.

During the summer holidays I'm thinking to try fasting from lunch to see if that makes a difference to FBG by not having an evening meal....

----------

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fast complete and celebrated with a really lovely dinner. I'm so hot and sticky today. Feel so exhausted.

We walked the dog, I tidied up a bit, did loads of washing and cleared the front garden. It's really knocked me out....we're set to have a heatwave this week and my classroom is going to be unbearable as we're not allowed the windows open

----------

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An FBG of 6.2 this morning. I am ok with that given the heat and lack of sleep last night. Wish it were lower though!!

----------

Reactions: 3 people

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debmcgee I just wanted to say that this thread might well be my most favourite thing posted here! I found it 4 days ago and enjoyed getting caught up with you and your current journey.
In many ways it mirrors my own story. I joined the forum a little over a year ago with a HbA1c of 50 and after 3 months I lost 40lb or so and brought my number down to 37. 3 months later it was 34 and i had lost a further 25lb. Then life hit me like a truck and people close to me fell ill and my mother passed away very suddenly. Everything spiraled out of control for me :( I fell back into the old habits of disordered eating that have been such a massive part of my life for so long and I completely stopped taking care of my own health needs.
1 week ago, my latest HbA1c came back as 42 and I have have put back on almost all of the weight I have lost. I was expecting that number to be a whole lot higher and I can't describe my relief that it wasn't! I started to tentatively pick back up with LCHF, only this time I plan to be far more organised and really diversify my menu and ingredients to make sure that this time it becomes a way of life and not something I step in and out of and if/when disordered thoughts/habits make their way through, I know how to deal with them in a low carb way that doesn't undo all of my hard work and make me give up, feel like a failure and walk away again...
Finding this thread increased my determination more than I can express, so thank you for sharing and keep it up! :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi @Debmcgee I just wanted to say that this thread might well be my most favourite thing posted here! I found it 4 days ago and enjoyed getting caught up with you and your current journey.
In many ways it mirrors my own story. I joined the forum a little over a year ago with a HbA1c of 50 and after 3 months I lost 40lb or so and brought my number down to 37. 3 months later it was 34 and i had lost a further 25lb. Then life hit me like a truck and people close to me fell ill and my mother passed away very suddenly. Everything spiraled out of control for me :( I fell back into the old habits of disordered eating that have been such a massive part of my life for so long and I completely stopped taking care of my own health needs.
1 week ago, my latest HbA1c came back as 42 and I have have put back on almost all of the weight I have lost. I was expecting that number to be a whole lot higher and I can't describe my relief that it wasn't! I started to tentatively pick back up with LCHF, only this time I plan to be far more organised and really diversify my menu and ingredients to make sure that this time it becomes a way of life and not something I step in and out of and if/when disordered thoughts/habits make their way through, I know how to deal with them in a low carb way that doesn't undo all of my hard work and make me give up, feel like a failure and walk away again...
Finding this thread increased my determination more than I can express, so thank you for sharing and keep it up! :)

Thank you for disclosing such painful and private experiences. I am sure your story will resonate with many others and inspire them to start or return to a committed lifestyle change.

I for one really appreciate your inspiring contribution:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@KevinPotts Thank you so much for your kind words :) I hope it wasn't an overshare :sorry:
I was very cross with myself for going backwards for so long that I'm very happy to be back in the supportive fold of the forum community :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@KevinPotts Thank you so much for your kind words :) I hope it wasn't an overshare :sorry:
I was very cross with myself for going backwards for so long that I'm very happy to be back in the supportive fold of the forum community :)

Aw thanks!

I have lived my whole life in a circle of self harming with food but more so after my split with nasty ex when I ate anything and everything bad so I would become invisible. It was what I needed at the time but seriously regret it now...

When I was first diagnosed I was amazing. I took charge of the situation and was determined that was it for me...but then the stupid Expert course ruined me and I ended up self-sabotaging myself again for almost a year. I hit my all time record high with weight and bg but this place welcomed me back with open arms.

You can do this. You've done it before life threw you a major curve ball. I'm sorry about your loss. Life's a ***** sometimes but we gotta dust ourselves off and try again.

Discovering Jason Fung has probably been a life saver for me.

Feel free to join in whenever you want. We're in this together!

----------

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw thanks!

I have lived my whole life in a circle of self harming with food but more so after my split with nasty ex when I ate anything and everything bad so I would become invisible. It was what I needed at the time but seriously regret it now...

When I was first diagnosed I was amazing. I took charge of the situation and was determined that was it for me...but then the stupid Expert course ruined me and I ended up self-sabotaging myself again for almost a year. I hit my all time record high with weight and bg but this place welcomed me back with open arms.

You can do this. You've done it before life threw you a major curve ball. I'm sorry about your loss. Life's a ***** sometimes but we gotta dust ourselves off and try again.

Discovering Jason Fung has probably been a life saver for me.

Feel free to join in whenever you want. We're in this together!
emoji7.png

Strangely enough I had a similar experience with an 'Expert' course. I spent 6 weeks with the woman looking down her nose at me, even though she could see I was getting excellent results, was happy, energetic and healthy. For some reason, she really started to get in my head.

Oh, and I completely get the whole 'invisible' thing too!

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went to two sessions as it became very apparent I was not in agreement with their outdated advice and battled with them over several inherently wrong pieces of info they were passing on. I couldn't stand it but instead of aiming to prove them wrong like I normally would, I took it as a green light to be really bad, despite knowing it was the worst thing to do.

I've always been an emotional eater but the last 6 months have been free of that. I'm really proud of myself to say that. Never thought I'd be able to be in control but I am. My next step is to wholeheartedly agree that this is my life forever (I secretly wish I could lose the weight, reset my pancreas and eat carbs again in satisfactory quantities but this is just ridiculous. It's my devil holding me back and I can't let it win!)

When I told my diabetic nurse about my experience she told me I should go on the training for it and run my own sessions! She's funny and is genuinely interested in my plight which is nice. I teach her something new with every visit. She lets me get tested whenever I want to which is great, but most of the NHS are a let down.

I'll post an article I posted elsewhere from Fung about docs and their prescription of meds in relation to diabetes. Rather interesting....

X

----------

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here it is...

http://www.dietdoctor.com/reverse-t...il&utm_term=0_41db911777-38c3415bed-463273601

----------

I'm going to read that everyday. There isn't any information in there that is new to me, but reading it everyday might just keep me on the straight and narrow because it's all so obvious and reasonable and ignoring it would be too ridiculous for words. I'm also going to read it if I feel like reaching for Ben and Jerry's! ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ben & Jerrys are evil twins!! I do salivate in the aisle where they live though...especially anything with peanut butter! I'm sure I could devise my own recipe but freezer is chockablock right now!

----------

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ben & Jerrys are evil twins!! I do salivate in the aisle where they live though...especially anything with peanut butter! I'm sure I could devise my own recipe but freezer is chockablock right now!

----------

I'm all about the peanut butter cup!

Er no...correction, I used to be all about the peanut butter cup. I am now a reformed character ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Discontinuing 'Chubby Hubby' was my saving grace!!

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to test this morning. This heat is killing me and I was envious of everyone I saw out and about scoffing their ice creams . None of that stuff for me.....!

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This fast day will soon be over with. Not been hungry until now and have about an hour to go and must've drunk about 3.5l today. Just checked bg and its 6.6 . Bloody heat!!!

----------

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to test this morning. This heat is killing me and I was envious of everyone I saw out and about scoffing their ice creams . None of that stuff for me.....!

----------

I was craving ice cream for most of the day. By the time the ice cream man pulled up outside 5 minutes ago, the only reason I wanted to run out there, was the temptation to jump inside the lolly fridge and curl up in ice cold bliss! ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for resisting. I've got some oppo in the freezer but don't want my kids to know it's in there so may have a midnight feast! Or save it for tomorrow. I'm going to have to make room in freezer so that I can make low carb ice pops or something. Never gonna get through the summer without something!

----------