Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree with this , I was initially diagnosed as T2 and it was a doddle in comparison to T1. 1 Metformin per day , no injections, no hypo's , healthy eating, low carb and lots of exercise. I was classed as T2 for at least 2 months and was gutted with the T1 diagnosis and when I went onto injections.

Wow, so you were delayed with the diagnosis for 8 weeks. During this short duration living asT2...

For a short time prior to my diagnosis, I tried living without insulin... (I had no idea I had the option.) That didn't work for me neither.
It's a lot easier these days being T1.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it is impossible to know which is harder because its so subjective as an experience. Even between people with the same type the degree if difficulty clearly varies. But achieving a lower hbA1c without dying on the way of a hypo is definitely much harder for a T1. And much more risky. And the only long-term studies of longevity in T1s say that the 50+ year T1 survivors have hbA1c numbers in the 7s and even 8s. So, on the one hand that is fortunate for us. It is harder to achieve lower numbers. But it is completely unnecessary, so we don't need to worry. On the other hand, we face a ridiculous pressure here to 'compete' for the very numbers which may kill us off early. There are three things that kill a T1 early: hypo unawareness, DKA and insulin resistance. So for us, we can for example tolerate higher blood sugars before exercise.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My son has been on the Omnipod for just over a year and in that time he has had three 6.9% and one 7.3%. Prior to the pump his best was about 7.7%

The last three months we have been using the Libre and his HbA1c result yesterday was 6.3% so very pleased to see the investment in the libre paying dividends so far. Main difference is that we now bolus for insulin 15 - 20 minutes before his meal rather than 5 minutes as originally recommend just a few years ago. If we don't you can almost guarantee a large spike.

A question about his posture and he was quickly diagnosed with hypermobility so something else to keep our eye on.

Reactions: 4 people

Nick Loakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son has been on the Omnipod for just over a year and in that time he has had three 6.9% and one 7.3%. Prior to the pump his best was about 7.7%

The last three months we have been using the Libre and his HbA1c result yesterday was 6.3% so very pleased to see the investment in the libre paying dividends so far. Main difference is that we now bolus for insulin 15 - 20 minutes before his meal rather than 5 minutes as originally recommend just a few years ago. If we don't you can almost guarantee a large spike.

A question about his posture and he was quickly diagnosed with hypermobility so something else to keep our eye on.
Has your son or yourself been dafne educated?

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Has your son or yourself been dafne educated?

No, my son is only 6 and was diagnosed about 2 and half years ago. He started on mixed insulin and switched to MDI after reading up on carb counting and demonstrating an understanding of carb counting. About a month or two in we attending our hospital run basic intro to carb counting course which lasted about two hours, I don't think they use dafne. A year later and he went onto a pump.

I would consider myself and the wife to be pretty much self taught, I understand dafne use a 10 carb portion formula which is a bit alien to me as I prefer to divide total carbs by the appropriate ratio which do like to change from time to time.

Have also tried some protein and fat calculating with some low carb foods such as gammon and bacon using a calorie counting system and so far that appears to have worked out pretty well but most of the time we tend to stick with carb counting.

unietis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Alright - i can say i am very pleased with my lest results .
In i was diagnosed T1 in November 2015 - i had 13.2%
after 3 months on February 2016 - my results was 6.2%
and now on July 2016 - my latest result is 5.5%!

Have thank freestyle libre in some way and my obsession with sports - cycling especially - 350km per week.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Haven't posted in this topic in a while. Since getting continuous monitoring it has been consistently 39-40 mmol/mol (5.8%-5.9%) and with getting the pump, I've got my Standard Deviation down to 28%, which is basically like saying my average BG is 6.6 mmol/l +/- 1.8mmol/l.

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Diagnosed 13/4/16 @ 53

Just had my blood drawn and get my second results tomorrow:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.3%

I was diagnosed at 6.7%, then got two consecutive results of 5.5%, most recently two consective results of 5.3%

I still have trouble with day-to-day management so I hope that the freestyle libre will help with keeping my numbers fairly steady

Reactions: 5 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Last summer HbA1c was 105
This summer 55
Last summer BM peaked at 59.4 *hospitalised
This summer BM has got into single figures mainly
The difference, advice on here, better carb control, less stuffing them into my mouth

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Down from 50 to 48 mmol/mol.

Lottebagpipe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
82 mmol/mol (9.7%). Its terrible and I don't really trust myself to get it sorted. Haven't had anything under 65 (7%) in over a decade. T1 for 22 years

Swissgirl

7.1 % A little bit worse than last time, had 1 month where my sugar was all over the place. But know it got it better under control.

Last edited by a moderator: