Blood Type, Nutrition and T1D

Dark Horse

Possibly...but it clearly helped me and improved my health. He is about lectins which more and more researchers are researching. Again, the removal of grains and dairy were the biggest things but I also believe most people would do better without those, regardless of their BT. Jmo of course. I do also believe in the premise O' s are more protein eaters and A' s fare better more low and vegetarians. The majority of people with those BT' s tend to natural gravitate to those meal plans
Why would you believe that Os are more protein eaters and As do better as vegetarians when there is no evidence for it?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Bluemarine Josephine I read a book with similar info - Eat Right For Your Blood Type. I'm not sure if it was exactly the same as what you're talking about as it had less about gut bacteria.

I thought gut bacteria were more affected by birth conditions and early feeding, and subsequent diet.

I read something about this a little while back, was it FB ? I am B+, I honestly think it is twaddle too, a bit like the horoscopes, as someone looking at their star sign will inevitably get that horoscope for their day.
Type B, prone to pancreatic cancer, gee thanks :rolleyes::wideyed:
Just take it with a pinch of salt (that is if your blood group is allowed salt ;))

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not yelling at you either, merely people like D'Adamo or the morons on YouTube who insist that eating 35 banannas a day is the secret to perfect health or that eating clean/raw Vegan will cure cancer.

Those are the people that really p**s me off. I would assume that you aren't profiting financially unlike the people who invent these regimes who laugh all the way to the bank without a single proper, valid scientific study to support their claims.
Great. Thanks for clarifying. Just to preface my upcoming post I will tell you that the diet I FOLLOW I'd a diabetic diet in conjunction with my digestion diet. That's it.

I will never argue BT diet has scientific proof. It has zip zero ziltch. Completely agree. What I did find is the worst foods for type o are wheat dairy corn and white potato. I found that out myself. They always made me feel like junk. Also the best foods for me were moderate amounts of lean red meats, fish, eggs and poultry. Never had any issues with those and always make me feel great. BT O is LC HF and moderate protein perfect for me. Also O's should follow a ketogenic diet. Knew that prior when I started Atkins and felt best for 25 years in 20 carbs or less per day. That's why I bought the book. It all made sense. Now looking at my BT A mom, who eats light proteins such as fish in small quantities and favors a low fat diet. Every time she eats beef she falls asleep and complains about indigestion. Doesn't like butter, very little oil and leans toward plant proteins such as avocado, nuts, veggies and fruit.
As I stated before, I would not recommend following the diet as written, way too many carbs and lots of contradictions in the books that followed the original. What i do believe in is the BASIC PREMISE and the worst foods for each BT. Some of this involves each BT being able to process red meat, fats,etc based on stomach acid, IAP etc. I have plenty of BT B friends/ clients that chicken and tomato are to be avoided and have said they now notice when they eat them they feel bad one way or another. I am not recommending anyone FOLLOW it but rather LOOK at it and see if anything stands out. Of course every 'diet ' will have its rights and wrongs for all of us but I do think it's worth a look and think. Maybe make some small adjustments. That's it. The best diet for all of us is one that works. For me it's a conglomeration of many. So it's MY diet. Blue Marie asked and I answered. I don't think it's complete.y useless but I also don't think it should be followed as written, just a guide if someone has health issues. It did improve my health.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you believe that Os are more protein eaters and As do better as vegetarians when there is no evidence for it?
Simply because when someone tells me how they prefer to eat I can tell which BT they are. Most O type love their red meats and most A ' like lighter more vegetarian food. Not always but most of the time. I talk A LOT about diet with people and the fact I can call their BT by there preferred foods tells me there is something to it. Not wishing to argue about it. I believe there is 'something ' to it but it is not spot on.
I also believe O's are more protein because they have higher stomach acid and IAP so they digest red meat better and As have less hence more vegetarian
My belief and not trying to change anyone else's.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the need to thank you all for your input.

I also feel the need to say this: Those of you who follow my posts may already know that I was born and raised in Zurich, Switzerland (not Sweden! :p) and I have been living and working in the U.K. during the last few years. Before coming to the U.K. I had heard about British chivalry. Where I come from, historically, chivalry is seen as an integral, and indispensable, feature of the British 'gentleman'. Throughout history and literature, flawless manners and polite masculinity are the defining characteristics of the British gent.

Indeed, from the moment I arrived in the U.K. I realized that even in our less-gallant times, the British still aim for appropriate gestures. The battle of the sexes might be over and modern Britain is an egalitarian society - but there is always a time and place for good manners.

Therefore, despite how passionate we feel about an issue, please let us all appreciate the time that people dedicate to explain in detail their experiences in our forum threads. Let’s not become aggressive (even though we disagree), let’s not put them in the corner, let’s not interrogate them, let’s not question their generous incentives to share their experience with us. I am highly appreciative to all of you for your input.

Along these lines, I also feel the need to tell you a little story please.

I have a friend, his name is Chris, he works as a gardener in one of the villages where I live, here in Northamptonshire. Chris is in his 50s and he is a Type 1 Diabetic since he was 25 days old. I doubt if Chris knows what immunology is (I doubt if he can pronounce it, let alone spell it). However, when I come across an obstacle regarding my diabetes and I need advice, I do not call for an appointment with my physician nor with my diabetes nurse.

Instead, I call Chris, the gardener.
I do not even need to finish my phrase explaining the situation to him. He already knows the outcome and can provide the solution.

This is why when it comes to my diabetes handling, I rely on experience (hence my participation in our forum) rather than on certificates. In my view, our condition does not have an elitist character.

I need to thank all of you for participating in this thread and I sincerely apologize to those who might have felt uncomfortable if the discussion took an unpleasant turn.

I wish you all a very beautiful weekend and I hope we can leave this issue here.
Thank you all, my dear friends!
Regards
Josephine

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my beautiful friends! I hope that you are all very well!

Have you ever heard of the Blood Type Nutrition?

In theory, knowing our blood type is an important tool for understanding how our body reacts to food, our susceptibility to disease, our natural reaction to stress, and so on.

The theory suggests that individuals of certain blood types may be at a higher risk for certain diseases; studies have found that people with blood type O have a lower risk for heart disease, but a higher risk for developing stomach ulcers. People who are blood type A have higher risks of microbial infections, but Type A women experience a higher rate of fertility. Other research has found that people with type AB and B blood have a much higher risk of developing pancreatic cancer.

Type A people naturally have higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their bodies and produce more in response to stressful situations. On the other hand, people with type O blood, have a 'fight or flight' reaction to stress which results in the overproduction of adrenaline. It takes type O’s longer to recover from stress because it is more difficult for them to clear the adrenaline from their bodies.

People of different blood types have different gut bacteria, in fact, certain bacteria are 50,000 more likely to turn up in people with one blood type or the other. This originated from our ancestors whose digestive tracts developed to accommodate one type of diet over another. For example, the microbiome of certain people developed to break down carbohydrates much more efficiently (blood type A). People lacking this ability (blood type O) tend to store carbs as fat.

As a result, a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition does not work.

Are you familiar with this theory?
May I have your thoughts please?
Thank you all!
Have a great day
Regards
Josephine
Negative O but still needed triple heart bypass due to heart disease!

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Kristin and thank you for your reply.

I am interested to investigate further regarding this diet.

Some months ago I decided I wanted to transition to a vegan diet. I am still in the process but, I have eliminated all dairy, animal fat (like butter), and ham/bacon etc are a distant memory for me. I still eat fish though and specifically salmon and swordfish. The rest of my choices are raw and vegan, lovely, colorful salads, fruits with every meal, coconut milk and coconut yoghurt. I sometimes might have a slice of bread.

Since then, my basal needs reduced by half. (after series of difficult hypoglycemic episodes)
Currently, it also seems that my quick acting ratios are also changing from 1:1 to 1:15…
I am feeling much better mentally, psychologically and physically. I feel my body clean and strong.
Weirdly enough, I also feel my joints more flexible… I know it sounds weird…

I accidentally came across this website and read about the blood type diet. Out of curiosity and to entertain myself I thought “let’s see what it says for Type As.”

You can imagine my surprise when I came across the following paragraph:
“Type As flourish on a vegetarian diet - if you are accustomed to eating meat, you will lose weight and have more energy once you eliminate the toxic foods from your diet. Many people find it difficult to move away from the typical meat and potato fare to soy proteins, grains and vegetables. But it is particularly important for sensitive Type As to eat their foods in as natural a state as possible: pure, fresh and organic. "I can't emphasize enough how this critical dietary adjustment can be to the sensitive immune system of Type A. With this diet you can supercharge your immune system and potentially short circuit the development of life threatening diseases."

Regards
Josephine
I'm sorry, but I think any diet guidelines that describe some foods as "toxic" should be treated with scepticism.