Hot weather and BG

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I don't know if it just me, but does anyone else have a problem when the weather gets hot and their B G goes down. I drink plenty of water, monitor my levels before meals and dose accordingly.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Same here, I have to reduce my basal in the warm weather and find myself having to snack occasionally.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm also a lower insulin in hot weather person. There are plenty who go the other way though!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me me... I need more in hot weather. I just tweak my basal up then monitor more closely for when I need to start dropping it again.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
If I am out in the sun working and start perspiring (would normally say sweat) I take it my body is burning energy, same as your B G will go down if you have a hot bath. Some times you do not feel like eating in between meals..but as noblehead commented.."find myself having to snack occasionally".I will give it a try..thanks for all the replies.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup I need less as well, unfortunately as I'm on Tresiba it takes a few days for the dose change to take effect (and with the British weather it's normally back to freezing cold again by the time it has!!)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need less insulin and more snacks in hot weather too :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some times you do not feel like eating in between meals..

This is where a insulin pump come into its own, if you pre-plan exercise and activities you can reduce the basal delivery before, during and afterwards so that you may not need to snack as much.

On MDI I could eat a ridiculous amount of carbs for lunch yet only bolus a couple of units and still hypo if I was spending a afternoon in the garden catching up on jobs on a warm day, now I just use TBR (temporary basal rate) which has reduced the amount of hypo's (but still have to use a reduced bolus dose with my meals).

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My whole day feels like it's been one big hypo...I guess shopping in hot weather is not a good combo .

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the heat makes you sweat and burn those calories. Eat more or take less insulin, I've averaged 5.8mmol today without any hypos or hypers, that's rare. I did however completely reduce my insulin and food intake.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am also reduceing my basal. Takes 3 day's on Toujeo to see any difference, then adjust again etc.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I need slightly less in hot weather, when less active. If I am active, then even less Insulin and a lot of monitoring, as I can drop quite quickly.

debz48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I hate cruelty to animals.
I have the same prob7lem in hot weather. Im on pump therapy and use a temporary basal rate. I also closely monitor my bg much more closely and drink plenty of fluids

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app