The NHS just refuse to get it

abie6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1. No "low carb" or "zero sugar" aisles in supermarkets. 2. Sugary "low fat" foods.
Went to the surgery this evening. They are running sessions for diabetics and pre-diabetics. It's a fantastic thing to do, and I have to say I'm very grateful.

Unfortunately during the evening an NHS dietician said to me "We don't speak of giving up carbs", with a "If you were so smart you wouldn't be diabetic" scorn in her eyes. She had nicely laid out sugar-packed fruit juice for us, sweet strawberries, and carrots to dip in humous.

The NHS are just unwilling to get it. Carbs are sugar is poison. I can't see where the complication lies.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to the surgery this evening. They are running sessions for diabetics and pre-diabetics. It's a fantastic thing to do, and I have to say I'm very grateful.

Unfortunately during the evening an NHS dietician said to me "We don't speak of giving up carbs", with a "If you were so smart you wouldn't be diabetic" scorn in her eyes. She had nicely laid out sugar-packed fruit juice for us, sweet strawberries, and carrots to dip in humous.

The NHS are just unwilling to get it. Carbs are sugar is poison. I can't see where the complication lies.

I eat strawberries, and I often dip carrots in humus.
I've never been poisoned either.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the point the op is making is that they haven't got a clue regarding how individual this condition is and for most it is not there 'fault' to be diagnosed with T2.
Also how individual this condition is and what you can eat, others can't!
And to some of us, carbs are carbs! Labels don't matter! How you dress them up! Healthy, complex or wholemeal! And they are poisonous!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS will get it, when everyone's on a diet as good as they suggest, then I'm sure they can up the stakes.
Until then, Big Mac's and Cadbury's may not be the ideal even they they have a few veg on the Big Mac, and Cadbury's make eggs.

Edited by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed or should I say misdiagnosed as T2 for ten years before my final diagnosis. My wife has T2, she can't eat some carbs.
I have self taught a lot of my knowledge about T2 and had many discussions with my endocrinologist about how to treat both RH and T2.
There are so many similarities in symptoms and how to successfully treat both conditions. I admit I struggle with other types, but T2, no, I know a lot.
And don't be so condescending about what my knowledge is.
I have helped so many, never had a warning about my posts about posting information.
I have with another, who is T2, and was prominent in getting a RH sub forum and wrote the stickys in the said forum.
Enough said!
I don't want to get in the ' my brother is bigger than your brother' childish banter!

Edited regarding Carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed or should I say misdiagnosed as T2 for ten years before my final diagnosis. My wife has T2, she can't eat some of the more poisonous carbs.
I have self taught a lot of my knowledge about T2 and had many discussions with my endocrinologist about how to treat both RH and T2.
There are so many similarities in symptoms and how to successfully treat both conditions. I admit I struggle with other types, but T2, no, I know a lot.
And don't be so condescending about what my knowledge is.
I have helped so many, never had a warning about my posts about posting information.
I have with another, who is T2, and was prominent in getting a RH sub forum and wrote the stickys in the said forum.
Enough said!
I don't want to get in the ' my brother is bigger than your brother' childish banter!

The NHS advise without having T2.

Doesn't really work so well, so I'll carry on from experience thanks all the same.
I'm sure you've read more than me on the internet though, but I'm sure you'll understand I actually live with it.
It makes a difference.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've never hidden it, and always posted as such.
The NHS will get it, when everyone's on a diet as good as they suggest, then I'm sure they can up the stakes.
Until then, Big Mac's and Cadbury's may not be the ideal even they they have a few veg on the Big Mac, and Cadbury's make eggs.

But, their diet is making people more ill, than they should be!
I followed their diet and the wife did, and it did nothing but make us both put on weight and feel ill!
Since low carbing and eating better for our conditions, the change is remarkable!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The NHS advise without having T2.

Doesn't really work so well, so I'll carry on from experience thanks all the same.
I'm sure you've read more than me on the internet though, but I'm sure you'll understand I actually live with it.
It makes a difference.

There you go again, doubting my knowledge and experience.
Has the doctor or dsn, that you seek advice off, have diabetes?
I'm sure they haven't!
So, what your saying is because I'm not diabetic but have a metabolic condition similar to T2, that I shouldn't have the knowledge that a doctor has about blood glucose disorders? In my experience it's the contrary!
And I haven't got diabetes, but the wife has and I have helped her so much, that I can't recommend not eating some nasty carbs to the op?
I'm not having a pissing contest here!

You defo need to give yourself a pat on the back for getting me to answer!
You are defo winding the hook out for me, aren't you!
I should report you!

C

catherinecherub

Can we please keep this thread civil.
If you do not agree with other people's posts in the thread then it is best to ignore them.
Discussing issues via PM means that other members do not have to witness the unpleasant exchanges.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with catherinecherub
this thread has become personal and not at all about the support for everyone that must be what we are all aiming for. !

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@abie6 yes, I've seen scorn in the eyes of HCP's too. Not nice is it? I just smile sweetly and then carry on with what's working for me....and it's not their advice that's for sure.

Reactions: 3 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand why people simply cannot accept others experiences and opinions. We are all different and affected in different ways. What's good for one is not good for another. We don't need brownie point mentality!?!?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I get where yer at..! ;)

"Stay away from the Tate&Lyle." "Ah but fruit juice is healthy & natural sugar." :banghead:

Back seat dieters.... Lol just crank up the stereo & keep driving! :D

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The NHS tend to focus on a path of least resistance (I'm guessing they think that what they promote is at least more healthy than the junk that a lot of people do eat!)

Personally speaking, Strawberries are absolutely fine for me - I can eat loads without it affecting my blood. I can (and do) also eat bananas, apples, breakfast cereal and wholemeal bread (in moderation). However, I can't go near white bread, potatoes or fruit juice.

I've personalised my diet over the last 20 months or so to suit my diabetes (and it does change as my body reactions change), which is something the NHS just don't have the resources to do for every single diabetic in the country.

I don't go to any of these courses as they are far too "broad brush" to give me any benefit beyond what my own self-testing and control has given me (and my DN agrees with me!), but for people who would otherwise continue eating anything and everything without any consideration, I can understand they could be beneficial. I do wish the NHS would promote (rather than belittle) the advantages of testing and self-learning though as the person with diabetes is often the best person to control it!

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
As this thread is about NHS. I went to the docs and he said you should not measure your sugars. Only Measure them (ready for this) If they are high. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW UNLESS I MEASURE THEM!!!

When I lived in Italy I really controlled my weight and was doing so well. Since being back in the UK my weight has increased I walk most mornings 5k I do not eat anything with Sugar in I will have some salted popcorn as a snack in the evening and a couple of Apples a day. Breakfast is Sugar Free Cereal, Lunch is salad or two slices bread. Evening meal is White meat with veg no potatoes. Yes I do have the occasional thin pizza.. It is getting to the stage that I will say sod it and eat a packet of Chocolate Biscuits

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently posted on this thread, which a moderator took exception to and deleted. Would the mod concerned kindly post a private message to explain the reason for removing my post. Thank you.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
As this thread is about NHS. I went to the docs and he said you should not measure your sugars. Only Measure them (ready for this) If they are high. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW UNLESS I MEASURE THEM!!!

When I lived in Italy I really controlled my weight and was doing so well. Since being back in the UK my weight has increased I walk most mornings 5k I do not eat anything with Sugar in I will have some salted popcorn as a snack in the evening and a couple of Apples a day. Breakfast is Sugar Free Cereal, Lunch is salad or two slices bread. Evening meal is White meat with veg no potatoes. Yes I do have the occasional thin pizza.. It is getting to the stage that I will say sod it and eat a packet of Chocolate Biscuits

Keep testing - my doctor and my diabetic nurse are very much against it stating I could become obsessed by doing so.... You do appear to be eating a fair amount of carbs - more than I am able to eat in a day - there is no cereal I can eat without pushing up my blood sugars, salad is great but no bread, evening meal sounds good but depends on the veg as some are not so good.

Please do not give up on yourself - have a read into low carb high fat and see if you can make a few adjustments to what you eat - it has worked for me, has taken me a few months to learn what is good for me and I am still learning as only been doing it for a few months.
A breakfast that works for me is the full fat version of Greek Yogurt, others eat eggs and bacon. I am no expert but you sounded like you needed a bit of encouragement and explanation.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Sadly this is the experience of many based on forum posts for many years. Yes, many in the NHS don't get it due to the training they receive from on high and that includes nonsense diet advice that dieticians receive from their professional bodies. (have a look at some of their websites - scary). Why don't you provide some feedback to the Practice Manager of the surgery pointing out the bad advice being given. If we all do our bit it will help the change and I have noticed that the NHS are changing albeit slowly. You could provide some input to the APPG by 29th July which I'm doing. They are the Parliamentary Diabetes body. Go to their website and search for the notes on the input they are seeking.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's look at this logically. The so called experts have been saying for years that we should bulk up on carbs and steer clear of the dreaded fat because, as it says it's fat, ergo it makes you fat. Why do we need to do research? So, there they are in their comfortable secure posts with the 6 figure salary and some upstart comes along and tells them that they have been spouting rubbish for thirty years and here are the results of extensive research - Carbs kill diabetics!! Beads of sweat starts to appear on brows, they get in a huddle, they feel threatened, they have to debunk it and fast - too late! It's out there and T2s in their thousands are kicking the carb habit. The realisation then hits - how many people have actually died because of the flawed dietary advice they have received? So the next question is: How much will it cost if it goes to court? And there you have it! The NHS gets it! But they can't admit they get it!