colostrum

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey ladies, I have been advised to start massaging my breasts to release colostrum for our baby boy when he is here in September, any hints or tips to make it easier?

Thank you xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

jade88

Wow that's a bit early! I went into hospital a week before I was induced one of the midwives showed me how to do it and gave me some little syringes to put it in. I found making a c shape with my fingers around my nipple and squeezing after massaging helped to get some out! It's hard to explain much easier to get someone to show you - maybe see if your hospital offer a chance to go in and be shown? Sometimes doing it while in bath was easier! Don't be discouraged if you don't get much - some women can't get anything until after the baby is born! Defo worth trying tho - my lol man had low blood sugars when born and was in neonatal for first night so was great to have a small supply to give him! Good luck! xxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trying in a warm bath or shower can help at first. Have you been given an instruction sheet? Remembering to make a C shape is good advice and helped me concentrate.

It can be fiddly to catch tiny amounts if you're going to save and freeze it, so help with that can be good.

I thought the advice was to start from 36 weeks but I could be wrong. Do double check though.

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I did think that I have 11 weeks to go (full term that is) they have given me syringes. Would a breast pump not work? Or is it a case of me doing it. Thanks girls xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I did think that I have 11 weeks to go (full term that is) they have given me syringes. Would a breast pump not work? Or is it a case of me doing it. Thanks girls xx

I imagine a breast pump would work, but I instinctively think that by hand would be best. It's gentler, for a start. It's also a good skill to learn if you need to hand express after birth. You'll only get tiny amounts. It could be literally a few drops to start with.

It's very yellow, by the way. My midwife called it Liquid Gold : D

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah thank you azure!!!! I was told it would be clear lol xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah thank you azure!!!! I was told it would be clear lol xx

I'm no expert - just my own experience - but I found it varied in colour and consistency a little, so whatever you get, don't worry. Your body will be making the right thing :) It's hard to describe what to do, but once you get the knack of it, it's much easier :)

Edited to add that I've just checked and apparently it can vary in colour from clear to yellow :) So whatever colour is fine, and anything in between too.

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah thank you so much!! ️have consultant tomorrow so will check with her re when I should do it thank you xxx

Bobbietb

Hi Finley02, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my local team only advised to start this at 37 weeks. I thought I wouldn't have any issues as I've been leaking LOTs of colostrum for weeks now but unfortunately I haven't managed to harvest any. It seems to come in force when I'm sleeping at night and I wonder if that's leaving me little for when I try to hand express! Don't be disheartened if you don't get any. Hope all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe it's important not to start too early as it can release oxytocin which is the hormone which triggers contractions - thus they advise not to attempt until you are happy you might start labour!
I only started at 37 weeks but got next to nothing, despite having it leak in the weeks beforehand it suddenly stopped. However I was able to express after baby was born to allow syringe feeds so don't worry too much if you can't do much at home, the process of labour really helps to get things flowing :)

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I have been told to start at 36 weeks so will do then. My dn told me that it can start labour but then said if that was the case everyone would be having babies early so just a myth! Thanks ladies x