Type 2 Eating Out

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm concerned that my BG isn't reducing at the moment. We were away for our ruby wedding and ate at a very lovely posh restaurant and I had a few glasses of wine, but only a few and I don't seem to be able to get my BG levels back to where they were. The meal was on Saturday night and wasn't huge or carb laden as it was a tasting menu. I'm coming in between 6.7 and 8 at the moment, when before I was around 5.8. Eating less, drinks plenty - any ideas what I can do? Exercise raises my BG by a point, so I darent even go for a cycle ride! I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Exercise may temporary raise your BG, but mine comes down to a lower number, and stays there for longer after.
Just back from a strenuous session now, no food for 6 hours before, BG 7.1 now. I'm not usually that high, but I haven't been for a few days.
It'll come down quickly now I'm sitting down.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always say one bad meal equals three bad days to get to normal again. Nothing makes a difference. Small meals, fasting, no carbs, just fat etc. it's always 3 days. It doesn't have to be a bad meal either. Just one that I went too high. I can correct with I suin but it still pops up.

Exercise raises me and I don't come down without insulin. However, when I was type 2 a slow to slightly moderate walk would lower me. Nothing that raised my heart rate.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always say one bad meal equals three bad days to get to normal again. Nothing makes a difference. Small meals, fasting, no carbs, just fat etc. it's always 3 days. It doesn't have to be a bad meal either. Just one that I went too high. I can correct with I suin but it still pops up.

Exercise raises me and I don't come down without insulin. However, when I was type 2 a slow to slightly moderate walk would lower me. Nothing that raised my heart rate.

Yes, I always try to double my heart rate, or more, and that does raise my BG.
But the impact is less next day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I always try to double my heart rate, or more, and that does raise my BG.
But the impact is less next day.
How much does it raise you?
What's your preferred exercise and how long do you do it?

I forget, you're not on insulin right?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm concerned that my BG isn't reducing at the moment. We were away for our ruby wedding and ate at a very lovely posh restaurant and I had a few glasses of wine, but only a few and I don't seem to be able to get my BG levels back to where they were. The meal was on Saturday night and wasn't huge or carb laden as it was a tasting menu. I'm coming in between 6.7 and 8 at the moment, when before I was around 5.8. Eating less, drinks plenty - any ideas what I can do? Exercise raises my BG by a point, so I darent even go for a cycle ride! I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Tough one @LincolnLizzie I'd say be patient, it will come down - and congrats on the ruby wedding. We went away for my parents 50th, I ate cake - proper cake - took me a week to get back to normal. But boy did I enjoy that cake! So for,once, it was worth it - and I knew I would come down again. If you eat well and exercise you will come down.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for the reassurance. I thought it would get back to normal rather quicker. I'll be patient and just try to be good, but isn't it hard, out on Thursday, Friday, Saturday for dinner with friends and then wedding celebrations (not our family but good friends).

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much does it raise you?
What's your preferred exercise and how long do you do it?

I forget, you're not on insulin right?

I'm not on insulin.
I don't usually check my BG anymore, but I did today.
I came back at 7.1, which is the effect of my liver dump.
I hadn't eaten anything for several hours before though, so I rely on my liver to do it's job.
I tend to do at least an hour, running, cycling, cross trainer, weights, and other resistance.
I do the exercises in spurts, to at least double my heart rate, then let it drop down again.
Followed by an hour swimming, the cold plunge pool, and some sauna and steam room.
I drink a lot of liquids but rarely eat anything there.

I've just eaten, with a few glasses of chilled wine, so I'll test later and see what I'm down too.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the reassurance. I thought it would get back to normal rather quicker. I'll be patient and just try to be good, but isn't it hard, out on Thursday, Friday, Saturday for dinner with friends and then wedding celebrations (not our family but good friends).

It gets easier ....

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not on insulin.
I don't usually check my BG anymore, but I did today.
I came back at 7.1, which is the effect of my liver dump.
I hadn't eaten anything for several hours before though, so I rely on my liver to do it's job.
I tend to do at least an hour, running, cycling, cross trainer, weights, and other resistance.
I do the exercises in spurts, to at least double my heart rate, then let it drop down again.
Followed by an hour swimming, the cold plunge pool, and some sauna and steam room.
I drink a lot of liquids but rarely eat anything there.

I've just eaten, with a few glasses of chilled wine, so I'll test later and see what I'm down too.
Wow!!! I'm impressed ! Way to much energy lol. Although I used to be a work out junky. I miss yoga terribly but still not ready to try to figure the insulin thing out. In due time. I wouldn't mind taking the insulin but I fear hypos like crazy. I chased bs everywhere when I first started insulin and finally have a good routine. I'll sit on it for awhile until I'm ready for my next new 'diabetes challenge'

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

It's almost like as soon as you go higher than normal it's the new set point. Frustrating. This is why I try to stay in routine as much as possible. Those few days can seem like months. And the fear of never coming back down. It does though.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Do you normally LCHF?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
^.
Wow!!! I'm impressed ! Way to much energy lol. Although I used to be a work out junky. I miss yoga terribly but still not ready to try to figure the insulin thing out. In due time. I wouldn't mind taking the insulin but I fear hypos like crazy. I chased bs everywhere when I first started insulin and finally have a good routine. I'll sit on it for awhile until I'm ready for my next new 'diabetes challenge'

6.4 now.
After eating couscous, vegetables, and pushed the boat out with a few slices of halloumi, lightly fried in olive oil.
And a few glasses of a chilled white wine.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you normally LCHF?

Yes, pretty much. Carbs below 50, try to maintain protein under 75. Use full fat everything and plenty of olive oil. Better reading this morning, so off to yoga despite the heat.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, pretty much. Carbs below 50, try to maintain protein under 75. Use full fat everything and plenty of olive oil. Better reading this morning, so off to yoga despite the heat.

It can play havoc with your body, if you do indulge in carbs, as you may be in and out of keto, and your gut flora is caught off guard as well.
It should settle down shortly.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
So just wondering what people's strategies are for eating away from home....

I'm not always able to pack food to take with me for longer trips, and my husband and I used to enjoy eating out on occasion - which we haven't done since I was diagnosed, but with several recent road trips, and several more pending in the near future

I'm trying to work out good strategies for meals on the go.

Hi There :couchpotato:,

When it comes to eating out, so far I have very minor challenges.
I would always try to ask about ingredients of the food I am settling my eyes in to.
There are many times that the waitress/waiter do not understand why I asked such detailed questions.
Then I mentioned that I am diabetic. It will be difficult for me to control my BG if I have sugar or carb from rice, bread, pasta etc etc. They are usually very understanding. It took a little bit of effort to explain patiently, but it does the work for me.
Sometimes the chef comes out and explain to me directly. Which is very nice too.

There's a bit of spike here and there, but they're not major at all - as I do not have full control on the food prepared by others.
Eating out is lovely. I still enjoy it the way I did before the diagnosis, just with pre-caution.
I am not drinking alcohol anymore, even though I miss my wine or bubbles - but I am not desperate :pompous:
The only thing I am feeling blue about often is that I can't really go have those cups of nice coffee anymore, as coffee raised my BG level significantly.
I am now a big fan of sparkling water with a squeeze of lime or lemon, so refreshing!

Goodluck with your eating out moments.

Sending you the good vibes!
xxx

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There :couchpotato:,

When it comes to eating out, so far I have very minor challenges.
I would always try to ask about ingredients of the food I am settling my eyes in to.
There are many times that the waitress/waiter do not understand why I asked such detailed questions.
Then I mentioned that I am diabetic. It will be difficult for me to control my BG if I have sugar or carb from rice, bread, pasta etc etc. They are usually very understanding. It took a little bit of effort to explain patiently, but it does the work for me.
Sometimes the chef comes out and explain to me directly. Which is very nice too.

There's a bit of spike here and there, but they're not major at all - as I do not have full control on the food prepared by others.
Eating out is lovely. I still enjoy it the way I did before the diagnosis, just with pre-caution.
I am not drinking alcohol anymore, even though I miss my wine or bubbles - but I am not desperate :pompous:
The only thing I am feeling blue about often is that I can't really go have those cups of nice coffee anymore, as coffee raised my BG level significantly.
I am now a big fan of sparkling water with a squeeze of lime or lemon, so refreshing!

Goodluck with your eating out moments.

Sending you the good vibes!
xxx

Somedays are a struggle, but mostly its good - last night I was working the mixers section... Mojito mix, Cosmos, Breezers - all got marked down to half price ....fortunately I do a **** fine job of mixology myself at home ... but then I realized but had that wistful moment when I mused - no more cosmos out with the girls (not that I do cocktails all that often - I do so love a nice strawberry daiquiri) ... still I like a nice dry white wine or a jack and diet coke too.... so its not that there aren't options just that they can be a bit more limited depending on the establishment.