Diabetic retinopathy in pregnancy

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I just got my first trimester results back for diabetic retinopathy. The letter says that there are some changes in my left eye (background retinopathy). Not really sure what this means. I am going to contact my team to ask questions but I was wondering if anyone is going or has gone through this before?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @myarnton1 i have had the same. I was just called back more frequently for checking and referred to a consultant for review. I'm still on a more frequent call back now even though the twins are a few months old. Important obviously to keep sugars in target x

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @1Sarah1 for the reply. My last Hba1c was 44 or 6.2% so I wasn't really expecting any changes as I do control my diabetes well. Did your retinopathy progress any further in your pregnancy? I have read that it progresses rapidly during pregnancy and this is what I am worrying about

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @noblehead rhat website has very useful information. I have heard mixed opinions on whether retinopathy can be improved or not which is very confusing

jade88

Hi myarnton1 I also had background changes during pregnancy even tho I had good hbac1 I think it's common in pregnancy which is why also pregnant diabetics have more regular retinal screenings throughout pregnancy - since having my little boy in Jan I have been seen twice and there seems to have been no more changes xxx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Dark Horse

Pregnancy does increase the risk of progression of diabetic retinopathy so screening is performed more frequently, usually at around 10 weeks and then again at 28 weeks. If background retinopathy is found at the first screening, an extra screening is offered at 20 weeks and again within 6 months of delivery. If there is any significant progression, the more frequent screening will ensure that it is picked up and referred to ophthalmology early, before any sight-loss can develop and at the optimal time for treatment.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @jade88 its reassuring that others have had this in pregnancy even with good control.
@Dark Horse thank you. Do you know much about treatment? As in, does it work for most people? I know I shouldn't be stressing, but I can't help thinking about these thingso_O

Dark Horse

Thanks @jade88 its reassuring that others have had this in pregnancy even with good control.
@Dark Horse thank you. Do you know much about treatment? As in, does it work for most people? I know I shouldn't be stressing, but I can't help thinking about these thingso_O
Lots of people have background retinopathy in pregnancy and don't end up needing treatment. If needed, the treatment is very effective - usually injections or gentle laser for maculopathy or stronger laser for proliferative retinopathy. But don't worry too much! Only worry enough to keep working on good blood sugar control and to make sure you attend all your eye appointments. Any excess worry is a waste of your valuable mental resources!

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 9+5 and had laser 4 times this past year. Last week I had my appointment and I need to b monitored every 4 weeks. I have bleeds in left eye! Hba1c 6.5%
I hope it doesn't get worse but he said 2nd and 3rd trimester will tell a lot.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Dark Horse that is very useful and reassuring information and has made me feel a lot better!:)
@mf that must be horrible! How has it got so bad even though you have a good Hba1c? I really do feel for you:(

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have active retinopathy on my left eye and have had 2 sessions of laser so far and haven't found it too bad...I will admit I that the rtinopathy came about due to my own mismanagement of diabetes and was due largely to me not getting checked. I have been told numerous times that if I had been being checked it wouldn't have progressed this far...so I would hope that by you getting checked you are minimising the risks significantly.

I know it's easier said than done but I would try not to stress about it - you sound as if you are doing everything possible to minimise any negative impact.

H x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Elc1112

I had background retinopathy before getting pregnant. I was told that it's not too unusual given how long I have been diabetic. I've had extra checks throughout my pregnancy just to make sure it doesn't advance. Thankfully it's still just background although I have been told that I will need six monthly rather than yearly tests after giving birth, just to be safe.

To prevent further changes, you will be advised to maintain good blood sugar control, make sure your cholesterol and BP stay within the target ranges etc. Pregnancy does put extra strain on the eyes, but they will monitor you closely. It's also not unusual for changes to occur if your HBA1C suddenly drops. My consultant said that he sees this in a lot of diabetic women when they find out they are pregnant.

Background retinopathy isn't anything to be too concerned about. They will monitor it, and if it progresses they will take appropriate action.

I was really worried hat my retinopathy would get worse during pregnancy but it hasn't.

Em x

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all for your sharing your information, advice and experiences. I also spoke to my DSN and she said that it could be due to me gaining control of my diabetes in a short period of time.
Thanks again for helping me understand more

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! I read your post and had to reply as I have experienced the same and understand how frightening it is! I was screened just before falling pregnant, during and after and all seemed fine then had my yearly screening check and got a letter a few months (months!!) later to say early changes had been picked up in left eye. I was absolutely devastated as I'd been so proud to have got through pregnancy and have always been well controlled. I couldn't understand it at all. I've spent the last few months worrying generally about it as well as worrying about whether I should risk another pregnancy but I keep telling myself that worrying won't change it and all I can do is keep on top of BS, BP etc. Focus on looking after yourself and baby, keep on top of BS etc, it's all we can do. I've been reading up on whether it can resolve itself but I can't find any concrete evidence of this however it has happened so not completely impossible. I have been told that its most likely due to pregnancy as there is extra vascular pressure placed on every woman during pregnancy, unfortunately we are just susceptible to this in having diabetes. Take care of yourself, enjoy your pregnancy and you should be well monitored now so hopefully everything remains stable and you can look forward to meeting baby!!