smoking? i've quit waaaahaaaa

neededthat

after much thought i decided to quit smoking the reason was i had high blood preasure and protein in my urine(the protein cleared up before i quit so one less thing to worry about) and a after a chat with my dn my choice's were either that or she was talking of putting me on tablets so i packed the ciggies :?i bought myself a blood preasure monitor. To start i went on to the patches and lozengers was only having one smoke a day for a week or so but as of today i've not had one for a week :D . we all know its bad for us but i used to enjoy my ciggies and the thought of quiting used to bring me out in a sweat i know its early days but the craving isn't half as bad as i thought it would be and thats with a smoker still in the house funny but it dosn't bother me. i don't want to be on more medication than needs be and will do anything i can before i resign myself to it, if i do have to go on the tablets at least i know i did everything i could to prevent it. its an odd side effect of diabetes tho its changes your life style in many ways all for the better :D, anyway im off for a lozenger :lol: :lol:

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Congratulations from a former smoker (9yrs smokefree) my OH is a smoker (20 a day!!!)
Good luck,
Suzi x

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
That is something you just have to take tickets out on yourself for because it is fantastic. Tell everyone. Makes it harder to slip up! I took up smoking aged 46 for 2 years, how stupid was that? Stopped age 48 and it was really, really hard but I have been almost (3 weeks short of) 10 years now without one.
Love yourself as we know you are worth it. Sensational effort!!
Alison

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well done, a great effort. It's certainly not easy. It has to be good for your all round health.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite really, I just took up Cigar's again after nearly 40yrs smoke free.......stress !
I must take a leaf out of your book and quit again...... :( Should practice what I preach !

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congrats to you on giving up smoking, I gave up 5 years ago this month, I am glad I did. I had chronic Asthma and now it's not too bad. Giving up was the best thing I have ever done, it was hard to give up a 40 a day habit, but I did it cold turkey, because I found the patches et al rather useless in my case (they work for others but didn't for me). Keep up the good work you'll be breathing much better soon.

neededthat

i don't know if the patches do anything for me either think its more phycalogical. my blood preasures are back to normal now and the cravings are getting less, two weeks tomorrow not one smoke 8) (not that im counting lol)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations, 3 years last month for me and it does get easier
thumbsup.gif

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cONGRATULATIONS you are a non smoker !!!! CAROL

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
You might slip up a couple of times (I did 3 times) but persevere if you do and later you will realize it was one of the best things you ever did. Congratulations thus far.

neededthat

its 4 weeks now 8) don't get many cravings but for some reason saturdays are my worst day for wanting a fag ,yesterday i could of happily had one, (well i could of had 20 lol :evil:) but i resisted :D

C

catherinecherub

Here are a couple of articles neededthat to make you more determined, :wink:

All the 599 listed chemical compounds have been approved as additives to food :shock: :shock: but were not tested by burning. More than 4,000 chemicals are created by burning a cigarette.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ad ... cigarettes

Brown and Williamson was an American Tobacco company that became infamous as the focus of investigations for chemically enhancing the addictiveness of cigarettes,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_&_Williamson

I am good at giving advice but still smoke 5 or less cigarettes a day. :roll: :roll: I can go for days without them but have to have a few available in case the urge takes me. I have improved as I used to smoke at least 20 per day.

neededthat

bit of an update, not had a ciggie for 7 weeks now 8) but getting bad cravings :twisted: now i'm attempting not to use the lozengers.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
neededthat said:
bit of an update, not had a ciggie for 7 weeks now 8) but getting bad cravings :twisted: now i'm attempting not to use the lozengers.

Well done you, 7 weeks and going strong! :D

Don't give in to the cravings :wink:

Nigel

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Congratulations neededthat, keep it up, YOU CAN do it

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
congratulations you can do it, i quit last August and still get cravings but they dont last as long.
Keep up the good work.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
neededthat said:

How's things going? Lets have an update.

Know what it's like, took up smoking at about sixteen, gave up at about 30. Started again at 55 and gave up again 2yrs later. Daft thing to do, I know. Very rarely get the urge these days now at 75. Wish I could be as successful at giving up the chocolate!

:evil: :!:

pang3e

Neededthat, you are doing REALLY WELL!!! You CAN do it - find another, healthier focus.... I gave up January this year and actually forgot I used to smoke!!

Congratulations, keep up the good work!!

Ang

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
How's it going?

Perhaps you should change your name to something like "Donethatatlast"