Newbie Low Carbing

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

I am 40 and have been diagnosed T2 for about a month. I take 3 Metformin per day and was sticking to doctors advice of wholemeal stuff and carbohydrates.

I was feeling really down as my BG rarely dropped below 10, I didn't lose weight and felt awful so I thought to hell with it and have been sort of low carbing for 2 weeks.

The results have been fantastic - my BG now ranges from 4 to 7, I have lost about half a stone and never felt better.

That said, my diet is rather boring and consists mainly of chicken, fish, veg and salads. I have found bread, pasta and rice cannot form part of my diet as my BG rockets even with the smallest amounts. I have also cut cows milk out and replaced with soya milk.

My shopping trolley at the supermarket seems only half of what i used to buy but probably going on towards half again as much so its not a cheap do is it? I have cut portion sizes right down but do set regular eating every couple of hours.

At 16 1/2 stone, and 5 feet 11, i reckon i have about 3 stone to lose. I am sticking to around 100grams carbs per day - does this sound about right - it seems a little like guess work.

Also, what can be done to make the diet more interesting? There is only so many variants of fish with salad, or chicken with veg that i can think of. If i'm to stick this for the rest of my life i would like to think eating can be enjoyable again.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Carl

bufferz

a lot of it is down to home made sauces, we have done chicken curry with cabbage (had that tonight, in fact) and an onion bahji (7g carbs/bahji @ tescos), chicken fillet marinaded in greek yoghurt with tikka powder and rabbit food, there are a lot of recipies on this site too, lo carb pizza, bread, cakes, etc.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Hi Carl

Like you I have been low carbing and am losing the weight nicely, I am 1 inch taller than you and since starting my diet in Nov 09 I have lost 3 stone so it can be done, I am 48.

Have a look at the food sections on here, there are some great recipes for soups, so far I have tried the Mushroom, fish and yesterday done the tomato and all are delicious and filling.

I also have a weightwatchers brown loaf on hand and I have 2 slices every morning before takeing my medicine. It does not affect my Bg that much about 1 or 2 points up form awakening.

There are a also some recipes for muffins that I have not tried as yet but will be shortly.

I also eat a lot of tinned mackeral and sardines, and the odd occassional tinned kippers.

Joe

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Carl, it really depends on what are your particular fancies....

Some of my home meals include :-
Spiced chicken with stir fry.
Pork steaks, gammon, sausages and or burgers with fried eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Fake Rice (grate half a cauliflower with a cheese grater and microwave for 4 minutes) WITH :-
Home made chinese chicken curry (Use Mayflower curry sauce powder for an authentic sauce)
Home made meat madras lamb or chicken
Home made Chilli
Home made bolognaise
Roast meats (lamb, beef, chicken) with lots of roast and boiled veg (NO POTATOES)
My favourite home puddings are :-
Hartleys lo sugar jelly topped with Lidl's Greek Yoghurt
Farm Foods frozen sliced rhubarb (333 grams), microwaved for 8 minutes, add sweetener, greek yoghurt and a large dose of ground cinammon. (Cinammon helps to reduce BG!!!)

Eating out :-
Wetherspoons burger, extra burger, extra cheese and bacon, side salad (ditch the bun and the chips),
wash down with 2 pints of real ale.
Traditional carveries - I have all of the meats with tons of veg expecially cauli-cheese.
All you can eat asian buffets, salads, one pappadom, NO BREADS or BHAJIS or SAMOSAS, I eat lentil, chick pea and meat curries, sheek khebabs, tandoori and tikka chicken etc etc.

I snack on nuts, cheese and cold meats.

I was diagnosed in May 2009 HBA1C 10.3 and put on Metformin 2x500
I am now diet only and last night I got my latest HBA1C .....5.1% !!!!!!
So must be doing something right!!.....
(I will post all of my latest blood results when the receptionist rotweillers at the GP's work out how to use the printer!!!)
Advice as ever is test and test again until you find foods which do not spike your blood.
Good Luck Steve.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nice one, Carl, you're definitely headed in the right direction now!
The change in the contents of your fridge will look pretty radically different at first, when things in packets are replaced by things grown on farms and fields. Once you get accustomed to it though there is a pretty limitless variety of fantastic foods and recipes on the menu from now on.

fergus

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi All,

Thanks very much for the support and kind words. I tried the grated cauliflower rice tonight - it was lovely, nicer than rice I reckon. I have just bought some prawns from morrisons and looking forward to eating them with bag of mixed salads for lunch tommorow.

Off to London on the train for work in the morning so long day and stressfull with presentations and the likes to clients. I have packed loads of foods - some chargrilled chicken pieces for tea as well as will probably be late evening when i get home, orange, wheatibix and some soya milk in a tupperware box. I intend eating to my regime regardless.

I was in a meeting today with 31 people, clients, consultants and the likes and excused myself for a minute whilst i got my shredded wheat at 11 oclock. I got some funny looks and a few laughs but what can you do - my health is more important than work isn't it?

Thanks again,

Carl

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Carl

Yes, your health is more important than work - and well done you for getting yourself so organised! :D