holiday tips please

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
my daughter has just asked us to go on holiday with her and my granddaughter to the Dominican Republic in February. i would be grateful for any advice. carrying insulin on plane... dealing with the heat....what to eat.. in fact anything that might help. :confused::confused::confused:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my daughter has just asked us to go on holiday with her and my granddaughter to the Dominican Republic in February. i would be grateful for any advice. carrying insulin on plane... dealing with the heat....what to eat.. in fact anything that might help. :confused::confused::confused:

My tips are to take twice as many supplies as you think you'll need. Holidays mean more blood testing, and you need spare insulin in case of any mishaps.

Check if the airline lets you bring an extra hand luggage medical bag.

Get a doctor's letter confirming you have diabetes and needs to take sharps and insulin on the plane.

Get good travel insurance that covers diabetes - ie pre-existing condition

Take glucose tablets with you for the plane and the holiday

Enjoy yourself :)

Reactions: 4 people

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
A few years ago I went on holiday to the Dominican Republic and was having a great time when a hurricane struck.

Despite the trials and tribulations I would go again. In fact my wife and I and two friends are going to Mexico this September.

I like hot places. Just be aware that the heat can alter how your insulin is absorbed. You may need less than normal. Monitor your blood accordingly.

I am on Humalog and Lantus (Bolus/Basal) and I use the DAPHNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) method and estimate and count my carbs as accurately as I can.

I adjust my Basal when travelling by air across time zones, increasing or reducing my Lantus proportionally according to the day length on the day of flying. Let's say I need to adjust for a 30 hour day. I would take 30/24 times my normal basal dose. On returning, the day might be 18 hours so I would take 18/24 times my normal dose.
I couple this with close monitoring. I find travelling stressful and expect my normal control to be disrupted for a day or two before it returns to normal. Above all, I find exercise is a great leveller.

I always take great care that my insulin is kept cool, usually by ensuring I have a fridge in our hotel room. I use the FRIO cool bags if I have to take my insulin out and about in the heat.

I take spare insulin on holiday in case of unexpected emergencies. About 40 years ago, I was in Hong Kong and the hotel put my insulin in a freezer instead of a fridge. Fortunately I was returning home a couple of days later but it had lost most of its potency! Something similar happened when I was in Madeira despite clear written instructions to the hotel staff. I ended up having to buy a different type of insulin. Fortunately, I had a chart of insulins and their characteristics with me and was able to make an educated guess as to the best alternative as my insulins were not available there.

Living with diabetes is like walking a tightrope. There will be times when you fall off. Just get back on and carry on. Life is too short not to make the most and enjoy it.

Have a great holiday and mind the mosquitoes don't bite.
:))

Reactions: 2 people

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
thank you for the fab advice. i have been looking at the FRIO cool bags but wasnt sure about them. i think ill get one now. :happy::cool:

Reactions: 2 people