Petition for NHS to push Low carbs for T2s

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading other posts, I think it'll actually reinforce the guidelines.
We're saying a 800 calorie, weight reduction diet is the way forward.
So, basically, all diabetics are overweight, and need to go on a diet, and lose weight.
The classic stereotype there.
(And when you look at the fat in the shakes, actually low fat is the diet recommended)
So I didn't sign it.

Who are these "we", of whom you speak?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The shakes may be proportionately high carb to their calorific value, however, with three shakes a day, that's 60gr carb. Obviously there are a few carbs to add in the portion of vegetable recommended.

As I understand it less than 130gr is considered low carb. I have also seen 150gr quoted. Indeed on this page: http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-lchf , even Diet Doctor suggests 50-100gr per day equates to liberal LCHF.

I have mentioned in the past that I have corresponded with Professor Taylor, directly. although not in recent months. During one interchange, I asked what dietary recommendations he made, for post-study maintenance were made to his participants who were considered to have reversed their T2, with a view to continued reversal. His response was along the lines that aside from ensuring they were clear that regaining weight would be extremely unhelpful, and that that probably involved eating smaller portions (and pre-diagnosis), ongoing diet was their choice, but that many did elect to follow a low-carb diet.

I'd agree with @Brunneria that the petition is written very badly drafted..

I would suggest, that 15% of fat, and 50% of carbs, and 800 calories overall, seems to be a very poor grasping at straws to put this diet forward as LCHF, and I doubt the dietdoctor would support a very low calorie low fat diet to be honest.
But, each to his, (or her) own take on it.

I would assume, as you feel so strongly it supports you, and as you have quoted two other memorable persons, you have indeed signed up?
I would love to be there for the debate in that case.

By your own argument on calorie restriction, you are supporting diet that limits fat to 9g a day.
As a good thing, supported by this forum? Are you really sure that is your argument?

I eat more than that, and wouldn't want to go that low.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest, that 15% of fat, and 50% of carbs, and 800 calories overall, seems to be a very poor grasping at straws to put this diet forward as LCHF, and I doubt the dietdoctor would support a very low calorie low fat diet to be honest.
But, each to his, (or her) own take on it.

I would assume, as you feel so strongly it supports you, and as you have quoted two other memorable persons, you have indeed signed up?
I would love to be there for the debate in that case.

By your own argument on calorie restriction, you are supporting diet that limits fat to 9g a day.
As a good thing, supported by this forum? Are you really sure that is your argument?

I eat more than that, and wouldn't want to go that low.

You are twisting things here somewhat.

I didn't suggest for a nanosecond the ND is High Fat. My response was to reiterate a common interpretation of Low Carb, and stating the 50-100gr is Moderately LCHF is lifted from the Diet Doctor site.

My posts on this forum make my position quite clear. I have no intention of entering a repetitive argument with you.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are twisting things here somewhat.

I didn't suggest for a nanosecond the ND is High Fat. My response was to reiterate a common interpretation of Low Carb, and stating the 50-100gr is Moderately LCHF is lifted from the Diet Doctor site.

My posts on this forum make my position quite clear. I have no intention of entering a repetitive argument with you.

I couldn't read 'ND' in a nanosecond.
Perhaps I misunderstood if you said it that fast?

But, enough banter, as I said, Brunneria explained the position I share with her, far better than I could.
That's why, not only did I not sign the petition, I think it may well be a disservice to the promotion of LCHF.
But I often seem to be in the minority.
But then again, Brunneria and I never normally agree.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a petition currently running entitled "NHS to encourage the treatment of type 2 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet". So far it has attracted a paltry 358 signatures. It needs 10,000 to invoke a reaction from HMG and 100,000 to get a chance of being debated in the House of Commons.

If you want to help raise the profile on Low Carbs you can find the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704 and hopefully we can get a debate on the issue.

I wish you luck with your petition, but I'm not sure about signing it.

The main reason is that I've just finished an X-pert course (in Stockport) and the message was very much that we should watch our carbohydrate intake so the message is already out there. A number of eating patterns were described and detailed - including the very low carbohydrate ones Pluses and minuses were given for each one, and there was a strong message about the impact carbohydrates have on raising blood glucose levels.

Therefore it seems to me that the petition is already a little bit out of date as we are being told already to be careful of our carbohydrate intake.

Another reason is the emphasis placed on self-management by the course leaders. The first message they put across was that we know our diabetes better than anyone else, or at least we should. Where the course was not so helpful was in covering the use of metering to find out what our levels are and using these to find patterns. It was discussed, briefly, but perhaps because of the government line on testing for T2 it was not dealt with in a way that would encourage those who don't meter to try it.

This is perhaps where lobbying and petitioning might be more useful (if petitions are of any use at all) - encouraging greater availability of metering equipment for those of us who find this useful and perhaps pushing it a bit more. But this won't happen, particularly in these days of a creaking and under-funded NHS.

Awareness in Parliament seems fairly strong anyway: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/MPs-call-for-improvements-to-diabetes-care/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35374588

And of course we now have a T1 Prime Minister

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/theresa-may-how-soon-be-prime-minister-manages-her-type-1-diabetes-1570238

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Won't happen, the EatWell Plate will still be here in 2030. :)

JenniferG

I'd sign this if I could, but I am not from the UK. I have ancestors on both sides of my family from the UK though -- English, Irish, Scottish. :)

I'm from the states, and I have a feeling the UK is going to be a leader. I don't know what kind of initiatives like this are being done in the states, but my mom's doctor, just the other day, told her the low carb high fat diet is going to KILL her and that it is a diet by "doctors", selling books, trying to make some cash.. sigh.

The LCHF diet is working great for me and my mother. I've lost 40 pounds in the past two months. Went from an A1C of 9 to 11 the past 4 years, to an A1C of 5.8 just after 2 months of the diet. I've stopped injecting 120 units of insulin and am no even no longer on any oral diabetes medications. I have half of the feelings back in my limbs!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a rather messy petition, to be honest....
...I would be first in line to sign a better written petition, but not this one.

I agree entirely - I am somewhat confused as to what exactly I'd be petitioning for, so unfortunately am unable to add my name.

Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It would be great if we could agree for better guidelines for Type 2's. I went on the diabetes education program (I think called DESMOND) and wasted three quarters of a year eating too many carbs, in all other respects my doctors were excellent. I am annoyed that for example this site was not highlighted as a great resource, which I found by accident. Now I low carb pre-ketosis as I train hard, and feel much better. Knowledge is power, if I had been told to restrict my carbs to less than 100 and then some, I would have made quicker progress.

Could I suggest that we get our thinking caps on and try and come up with a generally agreeable petition statement, after all there are loads of us. Frankly I would like to go further, when I was diagnosed 1 was drinking a litre of an expensive orange juice (sugar), cooking white flour pan cakes for breakfast with lemon juice only ( sugar), home cooked meals with either rice, pasta or potatoes (more sugar), in the car I would eat mints (sugar) weekends Wine and big pack of corn crisps (sugar). Being of West Indian heritage and no knowledge that diabetes was in the family, I should have been educated at some point about my risk factors. There are some many pre-diabetics "we" owe it those who are ignorant to try to get the message out about carbs.