merformin and vitamin deficiecy

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been on metformin for about 14years. Started with 500mg twice a day. but had been taking 1000mg twice a day this too for about more than 10years. I am worried about vitamin deficiencies associated with that. I am on LCHF now for about 10 months. I get very tired . I have read Long term use of metformin can cause low Vit. B12 and D . All the advice welcome.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My doctor just said take sublingual B-12. It is cheap and readily available as is vitamin D3. If you are worried about it get some. Your doctor can also test your levels.

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take various vitamins and supplements.
When I get the results of my blood tests, my diabetic nurse always comments on how high my vitamin levels are for a diabetic.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Vit D and B12, and I am not on metformin.

Had myself tested for Vit D, so I knew I was already deficient and needed it, also read up on B12, so know you can't overdose.

There is no need to be worried about it. Just do a bit of reading, weigh the risks, and supplement if you feel it is appropriate. :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Vit D and B12, and I am not on metformin.

Had myself tested for Vit D, so I knew I was already deficient and needed it, also read up on B12, so know you can't overdose.

There is no need to be worried about it. Just do a bit of reading, weigh the risks, and supplement if you feel it is appropriate. :)
I think there is a general recommendation for diabetics to also consider supplementing Zinc and Magnesium minerals, since we tend to flush these. Also consider extra salt when on a low carb diet,, especially in the early startup phase.

Vit D3 should also be accompanied by Vit K2, I believe. Most supplements OTC should already have both, but check - I found the Asda ones did not, but they have changed brand since.