Type 2 can be reversed

I was diagnosed type 2 last September. Have lost three and a half stone. Done everything they told me. My last test I was 40 (not sure what that is) but was taken off the Metformin. Having my next test on 25 July, will be the first without medication so hope I have stayed the same. Got all new clothes. Air Ambulance have had my large ones. Nice to have a waist again.

Hope others manage to do the same. This site is very encouraging. I bought the book about how to reverse type 2. Very useful and interesting. I gave it to my doctor to read as well.

Reactions: 8 people

Just Jeff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics, Football.
I was diagnosed type 2 last September. Have lost three and a half stone. Done everything they told me. My last test I was 40 (not sure what that is) but was taken off the Metformin. Having my next test on 25 July, will be the first without medication so hope I have stayed the same. Got all new clothes. Air Ambulance have had my large ones. Nice to have a waist again.

Hope others manage to do the same. This site is very encouraging. I bought the book about how to reverse type 2. Very useful and interesting. I gave it to my doctor to read as well.
Well done. I have that book, took me a while to settle into good diet technique, but getting there.

Good idea with the clothes, think I'll try to do the same with mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great success I am pleased for you and I hope your next test comes back even better than 40.

Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Very well done.

who was the author of the book and what was the title?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it certainly can with hard work and support.

Congratulations, but keep up the good work, because the reversal can just as easily be reversed.

It starts to get expensive now replacing all your clothes, but well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
@SheilaThompson
Thanks for your inspirational story. I'm nearly 3 months into this and have equally lost almost 4st (nearly 'normal' now) and equally I have a wardrobe that no longer fits me, and I'm horrified when I try on a pair of my 'old' trousers and see just how big they were! I need to get rid of my clothes too - but will keep one pair just as a reminder!
My initial hba1c result was 97, 2 weeks ago it was down to 53 and the PN expects this to be even lower next month - I could only dream of it being 40 ... but can't help hoping a little!
Well done you.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, well done. It's great to keep hearing about success stories from LCHFers. I presume the book was one of DR David Cavan's Reverse your Diabetes publications?

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done however, be careful. I reduced my HbA1c from 7.1 (54) to 5.1 (32) over a 6 month period losing 17 kg along the way. The doctor was so surprised by the result that she thought I could have been misdiagnosed. I had an OGTT last week which showed that I am still diabetic. You may be in the same position of having your diabetes under control (in remission?) but it will resurface if you go back to your old habits and if the underlying problem (insulin resistance and/or damaged beta cells) still exists.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great weight reduction @SheilaThompson!:) I'm sure your HbA1c will have reduced too.
I had given my smaller 32" sized trousers to refugee appeals (they only wanted 32" waist or smaller) last summer, and bought new ones up to 4" bigger. Then I was diagnosed T2 and took steps to reduce my weight. The new trousers I had bought were then too big for me. Some I hadn't even worn, I had bought them in anticipation of winter. I gave them to my church's appeal for clothes to sell for providing meals for children.
I am now buying 30" sizes, and hope I don't put on weight again, all this buying new clothes can be expensive, but it's worth it!:D

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Great weight reduction @SheilaThompson!:) I'm sure your HbA1c will have reduced too.
I had given my smaller 32" sized trousers to refugee appeals (they only wanted 32" waist or smaller) last summer, and bought new ones up to 4" bigger. Then I was diagnosed T2 and took steps to reduce my weight. The new trousers I had bought were then too big for me. Some I hadn't even worn, I had bought them in anticipation of winter. I gave them to my church's appeal for clothes to sell for providing meals for children.
I am now buying 30" sizes, and hope I don't put on weight again, all this buying new clothes can be expensive, but it's worth it!:D
Well disgustingly, most of my trousers /. Suits etc were a 42' waist. As I've 'downsized' I've bought trousers at 40', 38' and got a pair of trousers this week at 36' - and they're a bit baggy too! I think I will donate my trousers to the Air Ambulance - they can use it to cover the Aircraft up!

Well done you @Prem51 - I think 30' would be a bit beyond me at over 6ft!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Heretic1 Well done to you too on your size reductions, it's a great feeling isn't it!:)
Some of my 30" trousers are loose to, but it's difficult to find smaller mens' trousers, apart from skinny jeans which I'm too old for.
Trouser sizes don't accurately represent real waist size, which should be measured at navel level. My actual waist size is 34" though I am wearing 30" trousers. It is recommended that your waist size should not be more than half your height. I am 5'7" so my waist should be 33.5" or less, so I should lose another half inch.
I believe that trouser measurements are called 'vanity sizing' - to make us think our waists are smaller than they actually are.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Very well done, and you should be rightly proud of your achievement, but please be aware that getting numbers down is just half the battle, you may well need to keep on working hard long term to maintain those low figures.

I reached an HbA1c of 40 after seven months on a very low carb diet and I've been able keep my results between 40 and 43 for the last two years, but I'm pretty sure sure that if I were to change my lifestyle again I'd be telling quite a different story. For me it's not been a reversal but just very strict management/control of my diabetes, so I'm sorry if I appear to be raining on your parade.

Robbity

JenniferG

Congratulations. I really like the following books (in random order) on LCHF. Have been really helpful:
Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl
The Obesity Code (by Dr. Jason Fung)
The New Atkins for a New You by doctors: Westman, Phinney, Volek
Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes (along with his Good Calories, Bad Caloires book)
The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney & Volek
Dr. Michael Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Many thanks Sheila.

Shaydollar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well went to my GP yesterday think I cried the whole time but down to 164lbs from 188lbs he said that soon I wont have to take this stupid Metformin praying gor the day thank you all for the support