clubs for children to meet other diabetic children

hismom

Hi,
it could just be me but there seems a lack of clubs etc where children can meet other children with diabetes. My son was diagnosed in october 2009 and we have only met 1 person since then that is type 1. She spent a lot of time going through things with my son and myself and I was very grateful for her time. I am in Warwickshire but I assume it is the same across the UK.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've never met another Type 1 child apart from one visit we had with our dietician when another family was there too with their son who was a few years older than Jess. We never see other children at clinic either, sometimes I feel like Jess is the only diabetic child in our town!

C

catherinecherub

Try Diabetes.org.uk.

They support parents and children in different areas and have summer camps and weekends.

Shazza

The clinic Ewan goes to is always full of diabetic children, but they dont really talk to each other everyone just sits and waits. He went to a Halloween Party through the local diabetes group, missed the xmas one cause of flu but I think its good they have partys etc lets the kids know they arent the only ones with diabetes.

hismom

I have looked on the website for the support groups but we dont seem to have anything in warwickshire. I think it is harder for my son as he is also homeschooled so he doesnt have school friends to talk to although he does have youth groups he goes to . Are there so few children in each area that it isnt viable to have the groups. There isnt even a fundraising group here.

leggott

Hi. I am very fortunate to have joined a support group set up by a family in my area. We now meet every couple of months and try and get the kids together when we can. Although we didn't realise it at the time, there is also another boy at my daughters school who is diabetic, he is in the same year group, which has been beneficial for both my daughter and him. Like others have said, we never seem to meet other diabetic children at clinic, although there are plenty in my area and I keep on hearing about more and more being diagnosed! Leggott

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
it's weird isn't it, where are all the type 1 children?! when I was diagnosed, I was introduced to 1 girl at my school who was in the 6th form (the head teacher arranged a meeting in her office which was nice of her!) and the school also put my Mum in touch with her Mum - but out of approx 1000 kids, I was the only one?! We did have a group at my local clinic and I met x4 other teens at the time and we had cookery lessons together etc, but I didn't stay in touch which was a bit daft but I was 13/14 and going through a 'phase' no doubt :lol: but then in those days I didn't inject during the day and the only difference between me and everyone else was I had to avoid sweets and chocolate at break time - must be quite different today with kids testing and pumping etc at school......I often wonder actually when I am on a plane or in a crowded shopping centre, where are all the other type 1's?! I can't be the only one here! :lol:

dot

There is another lad with Type 1 in my son's year at school and he only lives just around the corner. I can't say though that it has meant they have struck up a friendship. They know each other but that is as far as it goes.

He won't have anything to do with diabetic groups/clubs. He wants to feel normal.

I can appreciate though that some children would find it useful to know they are not on their own. These kids are all so different :roll:

hismom

Hi Dot,
I think they all want to feel 'normal' but it is a good opportunity to also see that they are not the only children to have diabetes and to maybe ask questions that they wont ask us.I must say that even in our clinic we have never met another child.

steph

Jenni_1984

dot said:
There is another lad with Type 1 in my son's year at school and he only lives just around the corner. I can't say though that it has meant they have struck up a friendship. They know each other but that is as far as it goes.

He won't have anything to do with diabetic groups/clubs. He wants to feel normal.

I can appreciate though that some children would find it useful to know they are not on their own. These kids are all so different :roll:

This is the way I felt when I was young.

I can also empathise with this from a work point of view. I work with foster children and the majority of them would hate an event to be organised specifically for foster children to attend.

I've never really liked to be defined by a specific aspect of my personality/health, etc. Everyone is so different though as a lot of kids thrive at the camps/support groups that are organised. In my local clinic there are normally notices about local support groups in the area.

When I was first diagnosed I never knew anyone else who was type 1 - now I feel like everywhere I go, whenever I say I am a diabetic someone will say 'oh me too' or 'my brother/sister,etc is diabetic'. Having said that, I've not heard of many children...but then that could just be the circles I travel in

Jenni

sallywally

hi you can always ask your nurse to put you intouch with family near by excharge emails etc first,or try setting up your own club lots of advice online on how to do this,but i found just keeping hem with any other childrens clubs helps just as much and increases understanding with people without diabetes. There are also hoilday camps around,which are very good and helpful and fun just goggle it something should come up. :)