Don't you just hate it?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When everything is going so well and then your little one comes down with something and all your good control goes out the window. *Sigh* We've been doing so well with good readings. Jess complained of not feeling well this morning and I took her temperature. It read 37.4, nothing too significant. We went swimming this afternoon, tested her before swimming and reading was 8.4mmol. Good because that's about where we aim to be before exercise, she'd eaten a small apple not too long before so that it will carry her through the afternoon of exercise. After swimming I tested her, I expected from experience a reading of around 6mmol, shock horror it was 15.4mmol! Came home and gave her a shot of rapid to bring the reading down, she hasn't eaten anything and an hour later it's now 16.6mmol. Just tested her temp again and it's 38C. Argggghhhhhh! Life with diabetes seems to be a constant battle sometimes, just when everything is going so well it's all too good to be true and doesn't stay that way. Whatever it is that she's come down with I hope it's a quick one and that her readings will stabalise soon.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope it doesn't materialise into anything worse and is just one of those 24 hour things that quite often happen with children.
(I was horrified when I read your post quickly, I thought that you had written her glucose level was 37 and there was nothing to worry about!)

Shazza

Hi

yes its very annoying when after having good bs something else comes along to put it up, constant battle :twisted: hope Jess is better soon, roll on the summer and not so many bugs about xx

leggott

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about Jess and I hope she gets better soon.
I can understand how you are feeling. When everything is going well, you don't forget about the diabetes but it just becomes a way of life, but when you get volatile readings it makes you feel so frustrated and it seems to magnify the problem. Managaing diabetes in children is hard at the best of times, but when you add a cold to the equation it makes it even more difficult. It sounds like you're doing everything you can and hopefully her readings will soon be back to normal and you can enjoy the rest of the half term. leggott.

hismom

Hi,
all of our best wishes to Jess. I hope she recovers quickly as it isnt fun to be ill without diabetes added to the mix.

steph

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Sophia, I relate to your post! I think we all do in some way, old or young, it's each day at a time some times, what worked on a Monday last week doesn't always work next Monday :x I know it sucks but keep testing Jess and correct when you need to, it's all you can do, especially when she is poorly - best wishes to you both, hope she feels better soon :D

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Just been where you are but Khaleb is on the mend. The meter average was around the 8-9 before the illness and is now 11-12. It really can't be helped. This is when we need that crystal ball so we know how aggressive to be with insulin administration. Khaleb still managed to spike a 22 and a 24 while sick.

Hope Jess gets to feeling well soon. It still seems to take days and weeks to get the levels back steady again.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone, it's really nice to have the support of other people who understand :) After getting home yesterday and doing the tests with those results I just felt frustrated and that feeling of "oh no, not again". She seems to get so many colds through the winter months, roll on the spring!

Jess is not too bad today, her blood sugar readings are up a bit (she was in the 9s through the night) but her temperature is back to normal so it looks like it might have been a 12 hour wobble thing.