Diabetic Retinopathy appointment

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I had my annual diabetic retinopathy appointment yesterday and now have to wait for the results. I had a really good chat with the nurse about this as last year, for the first time in 9 years since I've been diabetic, my results came back with 'background retinopathy'. After I had my test yesterday, she did tell me that there was still a 'slight bleed' but that I must not worry and that that's why it's important to have these annual tests, she did say that it can be reversed and I am trying very hard to get my BS levels down and changing my lifestyle so hoping that all will be OK.

I did mention to her that when I have my annual opticians appointment, that I pay £25 for what's called an Optimap test where they can see a lot more going on with the eyes but she advised me to save my money and not bother with this as the diabetic retinopathy test is more or less the same so not sure now whether to not bother with the Optimap next time.

Has anyone else had the early stages of background retinopathy and how was it dealt with? thanks

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my annual diabetic retinopathy appointment yesterday and now have to wait for the results. I had a really good chat with the nurse about this as last year, for the first time in 9 years since I've been diabetic, my results came back with 'background retinopathy'. After I had my test yesterday, she did tell me that there was still a 'slight bleed' but that I must not worry and that that's why it's important to have these annual tests, she did say that it can be reversed and I am trying very hard to get my BS levels down and changing my lifestyle so hoping that all will be OK.

I did mention to her that when I have my annual opticians appointment, that I pay £25 for what's called an Optimap test where they can see a lot more going on with the eyes but she advised me to save my money and not bother with this as the diabetic retinopathy test is more or less the same so not sure now whether to not bother with the Optimap next time.

Has anyone else had the early stages of background retinopathy and how was it dealt with? thanks

Hello,

One thing to note about the Optician's test is that although they may be thorough, their information is not shared with the NHS. So regardless of what they find - the exact nature of the issue will not be shared with your GP or diabetes team. I'm sure it could be, but at a cost...

I've had two annual eye screenings. The first said that I had some evidence of diabetic retinopathy in my left eye. The other screening came back clear and my last eye test also came back clear.

Whether something was reversed, cleared up or the initial screening was interpreted incorrectly I don't know. All I do know is that at the two most recent appointments, the NHS Ophthalmologist and Specsavers Optician both said I had healthy eyes.

Grant

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
It showed up for me last year and like you am waiting for last week's test to come to me with the results. Last year I was told that I didn't, t need treatment, so am hoping it has, t got any worse

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Looked up Optomap. http://www.optomap.com/en/optomap-Retinal-Exam/

It says "The optomap ultra-widefield retinal image is a unique technology that captures more than 80% of your retina in one panoramic image while traditional imaging methods typically only show 15% of your retina at one time."

This is at least shading the truth unless the annual diabetic eye screening only photographs 15% of your retina which seems highly unlikely!

Big difference seems to be that Optomap uses lasers "optomap images are created by non-invasive, low-intensity scanning lasers." . As far as I know the UK retinal screening is done using a standard camera to photograph the retina (which may explain why you usually need the eye drops). Use of a standard camera then later comparison and analysis by an expert keeps the costs down. You don't need a qualified optometrist behind each camera and available for an instant review of the results.

Bottom line is that Optomap doesn't seem to offer anything more than standard retinal screening (apart from a chunk out of your wallet and an immediate view of the results).

My optometrist is very diabetes aware and gives my eyes a very thorough going over each year. I will ask her next time (soon) how much of the retina she can see during the examination.

The Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...permaket-tester-caused-unnecessary-panic.html
takes the usual Daily Mail view on it including completely ignoring the fact that anyone with diabetes should get an annual photographic eye screening anyway.

So probably money wasted unless it makes you feel extra confident and secure.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Specsavers do the Digital Retinal Photography and its free for those who are over 40, it looks very similar to the Optimap test that you currently pay £25 for and gives a clear picture of the eye and the retina.

The best thing you can do when you have diabetic retinopathy is control your bg,bp and cholesterol levels and try and eat a diet rich in fruit & veg to get all the antioxidants, have a look at the following which is one of the best sites on the web for information and advice on this condition:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Had the results of my diabetic retinopathy and I still have background retinopathy so that's 2 years running now. Hopefully it will improve next year and not worsen.

Dark Horse

Optomap is not very good for looking for diabetic retinopathy. The retinal photographs taken at the NHS eye screening have much better resolution and the software used to view them has special tools to enhance the images. In addition, the screening photos are examined by people who are experts in spotting the earliest signs of diabetic retinopathy.

The advantage of Optomap is that shows a much bigger area of the retina and could show up problems such as melanoma or retinal tear in the areas of the retina not photographed at diabetic eye screening. However, these are quite rare and there can be a problem of over-diagnosis - lots of people have harmless oddities in their retinas but if they are spotted during an Optomap scan, they would have to be investigated along with all the accompanying anxiety until the all-clear.

The photos taken at Specsavers are not the same as Optomap. They are more similar to those taken by the screening service but Specsavers tend to take only 1 photo per eye, take undilated photos (which are not as good for spotting retinopathy), have only very basic software tools for enhancing the photos and have the photos examined by non-accredited diabetic retinopathy graders. (Opticians need to gain an additional qualification in diabetic retinopathy grading if they want to work for the screening service.)