What do you miss most from being diabetic

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just thinking about birthday treat im planning for myself ,A long hike somewhere new and a pub lunch in the middle ,so biggest miss for me is just being able to hike without taking all the kit we need and having the only problem of hunger if too long without food and not the hypo /hyper type of worrying

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I miss nothing as have had diabetes from early childhood so what I have is normal for me. :) It must be very hard and frustrating though for anyone diagnosed at a later age when they can remember the care free get up and go without the double check for meters glucose etc.

Reactions: 9 people

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Not having a mini magnum for a desert after dinner - I used to love them, especially in weather such as this ....

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss eating as much carbs as I can without thinking - pastries, cakes, ice cream, juice, fruits, potatos, etc.. Also without refusing stuff from friends who try to give me some, well-meaning of course, they just don't know

Oh well, I'll just think that I at least had the chance to enjoy them for 50 years ...

As for gear, I leave it at home, I only test once in a while, and so far its has been predictable.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Proper Cornish pasties, Devon cream teas dumplings in my stew and sugar in my brew.
I really miss a good Cornish pasty after being diagnosed coeliac. Known as sods law as I live in Cornwall lol.

Reactions: Freema

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I miss nothing as have had diabetes from early childhood so what I have is normal for me. :) It must be very hard and frustrating though for anyone diagnosed at a later age when they can remember the care free get up and go without the double check for meters glucose etc.

Same here! I'm thankful to have had it pretty much all my life

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just being able to look at a menu and browse the dishes like everyone else rather than constantly be thinking "How many carbs in that?"

SNAP!
Knowing that in any cafe, restaurant or eatery I can only choose from less than 10% of the menu - and then having to have the Swap conversation with the waitress... Can i have salad instead of chips? Can you hold the bread, croutons, sweet sauce, yada yada...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blood free clothing, same with bed sheets after doing a middle of the night test half asleep.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here, had it in early childhood-Altho I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to not have it and live a normal life.
I don't know what's worse, never having that normal life throughout my teens/twenties. But wanting it so bad. Or having it and then losing it. Catch 22

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just thinking about birthday treat im planning for myself . . . . .

Interesting question, I don't miss anything really. I followed a regime since the 80's which was low in fat, so avoiding dairy, pastry, cake, biscuit, the usual culprits. I was diagnosed in '97 and encouraged not to cut carbs by my GP, I disobeyed him about 4 years ago, but don't miss rice/pasta/bread/potato at all. My mind and body are both happy with what I now eat.

Reactions: Freema

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thinking about birthday treat im planning for myself ,A long hike somewhere new and a pub lunch in the middle ,so biggest miss for me is just being able to hike without taking all the kit we need and having the only problem of hunger if too long without food and not the hypo /hyper type of worrying

I don't really miss anything about going out for a day I never take a meter out with me and when eating I stick to the foods I know are ok for me and I just enjoy the day. Probably would have to be a bit more careful if I was on insulin but I just take Metformin and have never had a hypo/hyper