zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello folks
Fell off the wagon about a year ago, and have half hearted attempts to get things under control. I had managed to get my level down to almost reversed, dropped a couple of jeans sizes and felt good.
I have been dealing with a lot of stressful situations lately and took my eye off the ball resulting in my weight levels back up to where this all started, I missed my last couple of diabetic appointments. I am feeling tied all the time now and my headaches are back.
Its time for me to pull my socks up and get back into the swing of things. I am praying that this time I can keep the motivation going and get back to being thinner.

Low carb diet here I come :)

Mark

Reactions: 12 people

JenniferG

I wish you the best. A low carb high fat diet worked for me. Lost 3 stone so far in the past couple months and blood sugars are normalized from A1C of 11 to a projected A1C of 5.8. Got half the feeling back in my limbs.

I plan on sticking with this diet the rest of my life. Very important to me to keep my blood sugars in line.

Again, wish you the very best. You can do this! Please do it ASAP :) Take care!

Reactions: 2 people

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Go for it! Losing weight is the key. I know you will feel better soon. Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I was diagnosed 18 months ago, I have only just got to the point where the health benefits of LCHF are working for me, so I appreciate just how difficult it is, but you have the knowledge of what worked for you so it should hopefully be easier to get back to LCHF.
I am certain that once you are focused and back on track that you will begin to feel much better and that will give you the incentive to keep it going, not saying it will all be plain sailing as someone here said to me the carbs are addictive so you need to break the addiction.

Good luck and everyone here is supporting you so 'go for it'

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I feel your pain. I often fall off the wagon but make a concerted effort to get back on quick. It's birthday time at the moment and I am failing on a daily basis but I will get there with a bit of perseverence and be back on track next week.

You can do it and just keep reading around the forums, support here is fantastic.

I find posting my fbg daily makes me face up to things. At some stage I will also post my weekly weight, just not yet !

Good luck with it all - go for it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@zaphod37 Yes it's so easy to fall of that wagon and so hard to get back on again. It is a life long commitment and that can be daunting, you just got to take one day at a time and say to your self on this day I'm going to do it and with each day passing it gets a little easier.. Well that's what I found any way. Good luck and stay strong.

Regards John

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thank you for all of the replies, I had forgotten just how supportive the kind people of this forum really are.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Hi all

Like mark I too have fallen off the wagon . I have had a 6 month party all toyself. But now I'm so scared I have dropped half a stone in last week without trying doc said it could be due to high bloods and has done bloods.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss u international due to high sugar levels

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Sorry but no I have not............ Hopefully someone else can give you a better response.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found a good incentive that works for me. I formed a pact with my GP in that if he agreed to supply me with test strips for my meter, then I agreed to use them to reduce my bgl levels significantly. We set a target which he thought i would not achieve, and I vowed to prove him wrong. This competition has repeated a couple of times now, and it is the element of competition not with myself, but with my HCP team that keeps me motivated. i am well below the last target, but because I am now only being assessed once a year, my next HbA1c is not till October, so I can hardly wait. This time last year it was 99, and in Jan this year it was 55. I am lower today.
My GP has continued to supply strips and doubled the quantity even though I have reduced medications. he reckons it is cheaper to do that than have 3 monthly reviews, DCN appointments, blood tests, and lets face it if I had to go on insulin he would have to supply more strips than he does now. So win - win!

JenniferG

I think you'll find on the low carb, high fat diet, you'll succeed. It keeps hunger levels down and lower insulin levels help with weight loss and diabetes. Higher insulin levels (mostly caused by refined carbs and fructose bombs of fruit, not including berries), is the metabolic "bully". It forces fatty acids to go back home into their fat cells, instead of being used for energy.

I recommend a couple books to you:
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
The New Atkins for a New YOu by doctors: Westman/Phinney/Volek
The Obesity Code (by Dr. Jason Fung).

All the above books are top notch and very affordable at around $10 a piece on average. (8 quid)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zaphod37

Are you testing?
It is the most astonishingly effective way of kicking me back on track.

The www.bloodsugar101.com website has great information on what the risks of high blood glucose are. Once you know that, self testing for meals becomes common sense, and highly effective.

:)

JenniferG

I agree with the above. Keep a journal and record all the following with dates & times:
1) fasting blood glucose
2) blood glucose levels before breakfast
3) what you ate for breakfast along with grams of carbs and grams of protein
4) test blood sugar 2 hours after eating the meal
5) repeat 2-4 for lunch
6) repeat 2-4 for dinner
7) blood glucose before bed
8) any medications, including injections (types and amounts)
9) blood pressure & pulse readings

That way you can find out what your particular metabolic needs are.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Like mark I too have fallen off the wagon . I have had a 6 month party all toyself. But now I'm so scared I have dropped half a stone in last week without trying doc said it could be due to high bloods and has done bloods.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss u international due to high sugar levels
Suggest you contact your GP. Sudden weight loss accompanied by high bgl levels can indicate an insulin problem such as deficiency or significant increase in IR. Basically it sounds like you are not storing glucogen at the moment.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
yep, I am keeping a food diary with pre meal and post 2 hour meal readings alongside and I am back on the low carb diet.
So far post meal results havent been past 9.0mmol which isnt too bad although a little high.
Fasting results tend to be higher than 7.0 so I will keep an eye on it.

Jim

Reactions: 3 people
Suggest you contact your GP. Sudden weight loss accompanied by high bgl levels can indicate an insulin problem such as deficiency or significant increase in IR. Basically it sounds like you are not storing glucogen at the moment.
Thank for the reply been to GP fasting bloods was 11.6 and hb1c 70. How bad is this no one is giving me any advise please help

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank for the reply been to GP fasting bloods was 11.6 and hb1c 70. How bad is this no one is giving me any advise please help
Sorry I thought you had had the info from @daisy1
A fasting level of 11 is not a good place to rest on your laurels, but it is not the worst place to be. I was way over that a year ago. Similarly your HbA1c needs to come down from where it is.

I found that after experimenting with many things, that the LCHF diet as mentioned in the Low Carb Forum here was very successful in reducing both FBGL and HbA1c, and I am currently on 6.0 and 35 respectively. i was at 15+ and 99 twelve months ago, and I have dropped one of my meds by 50% so far. My weight dropped 15 kg and has stabilised at a good weight of 65 kg.

Read what Daisy sends you, and lurk in the forum researching what others are doing. Come back with any questions - there are no silly questions in this game. We cannot diagnose or give medical advice, but we have a lot of eperience we can share.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@zaphod37

Hello Mark :) As mentioned above, here is the basic information we give to members even though you have been here for quite a while. I hope you will find it useful. You may find the link to the Low Carb Program useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.