Can anyone recommend a meter?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The SD Codefree is a good easy to use meter with the lowest cost of test strips of any meter on the market

Reactions: 5 people

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was given a tee2, it's quite a basic meter and easy to use. I did however go online and got a contour usb next which has a lot more you can keep a record. You can go online to Bayer, spirit healthcare, ascentia [not sure if I spelt it right) websites and get a free meter sent out : they all will come in a case and took about 2- weeks to arrive etc but only contour usb next had free big strips and I like it as you have a few seconds where you can add more blood so strips aren't wasted as well as you can keep a track of carbs.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the Codefree, available from here

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

When searching around for meters, it is a mistake to look at the price of the meter, and indeed, many are given away free. It is the cost of the testing strips you need to look at, and the Codefree ones are the cheapest. Strips can vary by as much as £20 for 50, so do be careful.

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Dario monitor. It's really compact, you must use the smartphone app where everything is logged. Also, I get my test strips on prescription which helps. Here is the link - http://mydario.co.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nurse should be able to give you a free meter though saying this a friend got diagnosed as type 2 but they didn't get one they've got to wait. I use bg star which is easy to use. No coding everytime you get new test strips.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
+1 for the SD Codefree. Easy to use and the cheapest strips. Where I am, T2 do not get meters or test strips on prescription and I have been going through a lot of strips as I get to grips with my condition.

Regards

Bluebell

Reactions: 4 people

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Emma

I was diagnosed T1D in November and the hospital gave me a Glucomen LX+ Sensor machine. I've also used a few others and this is the best one I've used. A 500 test memo bank and does the obvious ketone checks too.

Hope you find the one for you

Phil x

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
tee2 is as far as i know the cheepest with regards to the test strips. £7.50 for 50 test strips. plus can order the machine for free online from spirit healthcare.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
To put the record straight the SD Codefree test strips are cheaper at the discount price of £51.98 for 500 including p&p For 50 the list price on the Home Health UK website is £6.99 + p&p.
The SD Codefree is also more accurate including than most including a number of big name meters which I tried against test calibration solution. The only other meters I personally have any confidence in are the Contour Next series which are lovely well designed meters but the test strips are just too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: