What is the best statin to take with type 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think there is a "best statin" to take with type 2 diabetes. That is just my opinion of course, but they do have a tendency to raise BS levels - there is even a warning about this on the instruction leaflets. If you need statins, be guided by your doctor as to which type, although very likely he will prescribe the cheapest.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think there is a "best statin" to take with type 2 diabetes. That is just my opinion of course, but they do have a tendency to raise BS levels - there is even a warning about this on the instruction leaflets. If you need statins, be guided by your doctor as to which type, although very likely he will prescribe the cheapest.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reply I agree with what you say but reading an article it seems a trial showed some statins were worse than others and I'm on one of the worst so I shall ask it I can be swopped onto another on. I'm taking Atorvastatin 40mg at the moment and wonder if I can insist to be changed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can always ask. Maybe a reduced dosage might be appropriate. Are you having problems with it?

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can always ask. Maybe a reduced dosage might be appropriate. Are you having problems with it?
I'm not having problems but would rather take a better statin as I'm only borderline at the moment and don't want to take something that could make things worse. But like you say from experience the cheaper option is usually the one offered. I also suffer from chronic anxiety and take a variety of meds for that and wonder if these could be the problem.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of debate about whether it is a good idea to take them at all. It is probably worth reading around on the forum to get a more complete view. I cannot give you any advice but personally refused them when my DN offered to prescribe them for me.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is a lot of debate about whether it is a good idea to take them at all. It is probably worth reading around on the forum to get a more complete view. I cannot give you any advice but personally refused them when my DN offered to prescribe them for me.[/QUOTE Thank for your reply I think a discussions with my gp when I can get an appointment to discuss everything would be a good idea. I'm not due a review until Sept. so have no idea if what I'm doing foodwise is correct. Can you get anything from chemist to check blood sugar levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not having problems but would rather take a better statin as I'm only borderline at the moment and don't want to take something that could make things worse. But like you say from experience the cheaper option is usually the one offered. I also suffer from chronic anxiety and take a variety of meds for that and wonder if these could be the problem.

40mg of Atorvastatin is not the ow dose one. The low dose one is 20mg. If you are only borderline for statins maybe you should discuss with your GP about lowering the dose. I'm not a doctor and can't advise you either way. All I can say is I was given them when I was diagnosed, took them for a couple of months then stopped. My cholesterol has continued to improve without them on a low carb high fat diet. As a matter of interest, what is your lipid panel? (HDL/LDL/Trigs)?

There are dozens of threads on here about statins and cholesterol. If you use the search box you will find them.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
40mg of Atorvastatin is not the ow dose one. The low dose one is 20mg. If you are only borderline for statins maybe you should discuss with your GP about lowering the dose. I'm not a doctor and can't advise you either way. All I can say is I was given them when I was diagnosed, took them for a couple of months then stopped. My cholesterol has continued to improve without them on a low carb high fat diet. As a matter of interest, what is your lipid panel? (HDL/LDL/Trigs)?

There are dozens of threads on here about statins and cholesterol. If you use the search box you will find them.
I've no idea what my lipid panel is I just go by whether my bloods come back okay or not.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMO the best statin - unless it's really necessary to take them - is none. But that's just my opionion and my decision to make for me: it's something you need to discuss with your diabetes support team, we're not actually qualified to make a decision for you.

However, my glucose levels have reduced since I stopped taking them and my cholesterol levels are no worse.

Robbity

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi does anyone know the best statin to take with type 2 diabetes

I researched it, and actually found 20mg Atorvastatin worked well, with no side effects.
If there a reason why you would prefer a different one?

But, the best one for me, was simply to cut out dairy, fatty red meats, basically all saturated fats.
Good quality none saturated fats are the way to go.
I do go for the classical cholesterol scores though.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also suffer from chronic anxiety and take a variety of meds for that
Hello @ruthduf . From my own experience I become less anxious about something the more I know about it, so you could make it a project to find out about your cholesterol either from your GP (if sympathetic) or by reading about others' experiences on here, and then you can decide for yourself about taking statins.
As it happens my cholesterol overall is high but includes plenty of the "good" sort and I haven't taken statins for over a year now, with my GP's co-operation. I don't think this is typical -- from what I've read on here the LCHF diet lowers many poeple's cholesterol as well as their blood sugar.
I eat loads of fat :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @ruthduf . From my own experience I become less anxious about something the more I know about it, so you could make it a project to find out about your cholesterol either from your GP (if sympathetic) or by reading about others' experiences on here, and then you can decide for yourself about taking statins.
As it happens my cholesterol overall is high but includes plenty of the "good" sort and I haven't taken statins for over a year now, with my GFP's co-operation. I don't think this is typical -- from what I've read on here the LCHF diet lowers many poeple's cholesterol as well as their blood sugar.
I eat loads of fat :)

What sort of fat do you eat?
I find saturated fat raises my cholesterol badly, particularly the LD, which contributes overall, possibly that is why yours, like mine, is high on that diet.
I tend to look at the breakdown, and try to keep all figures in the 'classic' ranges.
But some believe high cholesterol is good, so continue to push it up.
I'm not convinced, but I may not be popular for saying that.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter, olive oil, coconut oil, double cream, cheeses, whatever comes on unprocessed meat, processed high-fat meat like chorizo & salami, avocado, eggs, full-fat yoghurt and fish like mackerel.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've no idea what my lipid panel is I just go by whether my bloods come back okay or not.

I think it would help you to ask for a print out of your last test results, otherwise you are just working blind. It is rarely wise to accept the words "your bloods are fine" or "OK" or "you need statins" without asking why. If your lipid panel is good enough, you probably don't need statins at all, so I urge you to find out just what they are.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butter, olive oil, coconut oil, double cream, cheeses, whatever comes on unprocessed meat, processed high-fat meat like chorizo & salami, avocado, eggs, full-fat yoghurt and fish like mackerel.

Yes, saturated fat does me as well.
And I'll avoid processed meat like the plaque.

Maybe it'll improve your cholesterol as well?

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IMO the best statin - unless it's really necessary to take them - is none. But that's just my opionion and my decision to make for me: it's something you need to discuss with your diabetes support team, we're not actually qualified to make a decision for you.

However, my glucose levels have reduced since I stopped taking them and my cholesterol levels are no worse.

Robbity[/Hi, and thanks for reply I'm going to discuss this issue with my gp as and when I can get an appointment.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find saturated fat raises my cholesterol badly, particularly the LD, which contributes overall, possibly that is why yours, like mine, is high on that diet.
I tend to look at the breakdown, and try to keep all figures in the 'classic' ranges.
But some believe high cholesterol is good, so continue to push it up.
I'm not convinced, but I may not be popular for saying that.
Hi, thanks for replyI think a trip to the gp is on th cards

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, saturated fat does me as well.
And I'll avoid processed meat like the plaque.

Maybe it'll improve your cholesterol as well?
Hi thanks for reply.Trip to the gp is needed and I eat quite a lot of processed food so that will have to stop.