Pump insurance

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have recently got a Medtronic 640g and was wondering is it worth insuring? If so what's the best way. Not sure the trust would replace one if I trod on it!
Cheers
Nik

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

gem09

Your pump should be added to your home insurance, rough figure for them is usually around the 3-5k mark. Any rep will tell you to get it on your policy and may give you a better idea of cost if your insurance company is asking for specifics.

Sent from my D5803 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Moodle My house insurance wanted a few hundred pounds to add the pump on, so I went through insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk
It costs approx. £8/mth (give or take) and I think they have been spoken of relatively highly in other threads on here, with positive feedback with regards to speed of resolving claims etc.
Something to note is I think it is part of your agreement that you WILL get insurance, so you may not have much choice - probably worth checking anyway!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's very dependent on your household insurance policy. Mine is covered as a personal item fro all risks under mine,.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for raising this thread - I hadn't considered insurance as simply thought if anything goes wrong then Medtronic would replace it - but still hadn't considered 'accidental damage' and having this covered in case they refused to replace it. Would this be the case then ?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for raising this thread - I hadn't considered insurance as simply thought if anything goes wrong then Medtronic would replace it - but still hadn't considered 'accidental damage' and having this covered in case they refused to replace it. Would this be the case then ?
I was implicitly told by my DSN that when I got the pump, that I agreed to get pump insurance. I didn't bother to question whether I could take on the responsibility of replacing the pump with my own funds if I damaged it or lost it through lack of care, as I just want peace of mind for this particular item. I guess this is driven by the individual CCG policy for your area, rather than the pump manufacturer, but when Animas replaced my pump recently, they specifically said to me that "as it is a pump fault, they will replace without question", which implied they might not be so forgiving in all instances!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

@Juicyj, if your pump develops a fault then the company will replace it, but I was told (Omnipod Rep) that accidental damage isn't covered and that is why people need insurance cover, expect this will be the case with all pump manufacturers.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks @noblehead my rep has never mentioned this so I wasn't aware of how it would be managed - that's definately a phone call to the insurers today, my pump has fallen out of it's pouch quite a few times so i'm not taking any chances !

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is covered on our home insurance. I was advised by the rep that if it fails it will be replaced by the manufacturer, but if it is damaged or stolen, it will not be, so it was very important to get insurance cover.

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difference between home insurance and specific pump insurance is the pump specific one will arrange for you to have a replacement the next day, home insurance could take weeks. Also not all home insurances cover medical equipment, you do need to check as adding it as a £3k named item may not result in the cover you expect.

When I contacted my home insurance 5 years ago, they told me they would not cover medical equipment. They then cancelled my home insurance without telling me and I only noticed a month later when the monthly payment had not been taken. I asked why it had been cancelled and they told me they could not accept me insuring home based medical equipment with another insurance company and splitting it across two even though they would not provide any cover. Needless to say I changed the home insurance and took out pump specific.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Actually, @Chas C has reminded me that the other issue I had with my house insurance, on top of the extra cost, is that they specifically said that the pump would only be insured whilst it was inside the property, and not when out and about.

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
I just took out a new home insurance policy and I made sure I stated my daughters pump as an item of high value and its insured if it gets damaged outside of the house also, if you shop about a bit you can find a good policy

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies guys. As yet no one had mentioned it, not the rep or my nurse. Just thought it might be a logical thing to do. I called the insurers last night and apparently I was the third who had asked that day! :) It was covered as a personal item outside the home and abroad but not for accidental damage within the home, so added that, put the premium up about £25 for the year. Also increased the personal item limit to cover the recommended 3.5k for a new pump. Waited for four years for this pump, would not have been happy to have it a week and end up dropping it and then treading on it!! :happy:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went from pump insurance to home insurance and back again, I found my home isurance didnt have a clue what i was talking about (will it be kept in a safe?!) and wouldnt cover it internationally. also you get holiday pump cover free if you have the pump insurance for you cover.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My house insurance with Halifax was so negligible that when I phoned them recently to re add a pump on they said the extra premium wasn't worth worrying about!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Unfortunately, yes I will be... I really don't want to... But my cancer and stomach probs are also making things harder to control on MDI..

I really do not want pump... I can't wear as I used to due to the lymph node removal and I am wary as I was having to change sets every day when last on it... Honestly... I hate the thought of going back on it. Degludec was no good as it does not cope with my dawn and waking phenomenon. Foods take 4-5 days to process and are limited so this is not really good with MDI... so sadly have no choice. I am so cheesed off but just got to go with the flow...