Diabetic sweets

debs58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was recently diagnosed type 2. I'm desperately trying to stick to LCHF diet, I need to lose weight as well. I'm not doing too well though I really crave sweets and I feel soooo miserable. Anyone got advice on diabetic sweets?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They are garbage and the sugar alcohols used to sweeten them have a laxative effect, sometimes extreme. They also will increase the cravings. The cravings will reduce over time as long as you stick to it. I know it is difficult. Maybe try a few berries in real unsweetened whipped cream. I personally like cool whip and it is low carb. Not sure if you have that in the UK.

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@debs58 it takes at least two weeks for the sugar cravings to lessen, but if you have anything "sweet" - (diet soda, processed grains such as bread or pasta, corn, potatoes or other starchy root vegetables, legumes, berries, fruit) - during that period the cravings return and will temporarily intensify.

Things that helped me...

a tablespoon of peanut butter - ideally one with no additives, salt or no salt okay; I buy the type that you stir then refrigerate. Without salt, it's naturally sweet.
a square of dark chocolate - must be 70% cocoa or higher; compare sugar grams between brands.
a glass of red wine - 5 ounces for women, up to two 5 ounce servings for men
half an avocado - eaten with spoon directly from the shell is fine.
green olives, pimentos removed

If you can handle it...

a strawberry (fresh or frozen)
a small amount of blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries (fresh or frozen) - (I started with 6 blueberries about 6 weeks into the diet; today I have a 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, black berries, once sometimes twice a day with meals; berries are best when combined with a fat from your meal to slow the absorption of glucose and fructose; I sometimes eat berries or a slice of fresh peach with a tablespoon of peanut butter - (bite of berry/fruit, bite of peanut butter), or heavy cream whipped - (sweetened with a few drops Stevita Liquid Extract) - sometimes with chopped raw nuts.
a raw carrot with raw nuts or hummus for a snack
sliced zucchini dipped into fresh pesto for a snack
a tablespoon of yam skin removed, sliced, and steamed with your vegetables.

During that first month, I bought a box of 9 gluten free peanut butter cookies, put them in the freezer and on those days when the craving was so strong I thought I'd lose my mind, I'd eat one cookie. It took a while, but eventually I threw the box away. I'd eaten 4 of the 9 cookies.

It was really hard for me in the beginning. Think of things that you enjoy that are not sweet, that are flavorful in other ways. I love marinaded artichoke hearts. I keep one to two jars in reserve in case I just need something!

Dill pickles - I used to roll and eat one slice of deli ham, one long slice of dill pickle, and a chunk or two of cream cheese.

Sometimes I need something filling and satisfying to eat so I'd make an omelet. On low heat, I'd sauté/steam 1 slice of yellow onion, chopped, and three sliced button mushrooms in butter, then when softened add a handful of fresh spinach, which I'd lightly steam, and then add a whipped egg on top, with lid on pan again for just a minute or two or three depending on hot your burner is on low. Egg is cooked when you touch it and it's not gooey. I use a spatula to fold it in half then I fold it in half again (so it's only taking up a quarter of the pan prior to transferring to the plate.).

Cheese, especially crumbled feta a good flavor enhancer for salads and some omelet combinations. A personal favorite of mine is butter, three sliced button mushrooms, handful of fresh spinach, whipped egg, 4 to 6 cherry tomatoes quartered, and a tablespoon of crumpled feta.

Cooked bacon, cheese, herbs, and spices are good flavor enhancers too. Another favorite omelet combination is ham chunks or cooked bacon, chopped, butter, a slice of onion, chopped, a half head of broccoli cut into small florets, whipped egg, and swiss cheese.

There's a whole world out there of incredible flavors that you will discover once you retrain your brain to focus on flavors other than just "sweet". In time, your sense of taste will improve - (sugar numbs our sense of taste). The first time I had a blueberry again, it was amazing.

Have to make dinner now. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

Oh, and a cup of coffee or black tea with breakfast, a cup of green tea immediately after lunch, and a glass of red wine with or immediately after dinner helped keep my mind off sweets. Walking after a meal sometimes helped too. The cravings lessened as the post meal blood glucose levels worked their way back down.

Also, the thing that motivated me more than anything was monitoring my blood glucose levels throughout the day. Seeing improvements every couple of days kept me going. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Sour" is a great way to counter "sweet".

Stevita Liquid Extract is a natural sweetner that does not affect blood glucose. I ream the juice of one lemon into a tall glass, spoon out any seeds, then add 7 parts water, 3 drops of Stevita Liquid Extract and three or more ice cubes. Same can be done with 1 1/2 to 2 limes.

In the US, Stevita Liquid Extract is sold in health food stores. Careful, it's easy to over sweeten. Add a drop, mix, taste.

In the beginning, it often helps to eat three meals and two to three snacks a day to curb cravings. If you include protein, fat, and carbs in the form of vegetables (or leafy greens) with every meal, every snack, it's easier.

Once you're fat adapted you can begin to eliminate snacks and begin to increase the your non-eating time between dinner and breakfast, referred to as intermittent fasting. And you can begin watching your calorie intake so you're losing weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
I have been using Stevia powder to sweeten my mixture of greek yoghurt with thick coconut cream, choco powder and vanilla to create yummy yoghurt ice-cream. On my first trial, 1 popsicle sized of this rises my bg by 10-15 mg/dl after an hour or so. Not too bad. It might work better for others. The measurement of what rises my bg no doesn't apply to you and other people. So yes, check and check and check :)

Experimenting is fun!

My boyfriend, who is not diabetic - said that the ice cream was good too. Yeay :rolleyes::oops:

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi debs, Most so-called sugar free sweets have sweetener in them so I would avoid if was you . I sometimes crave something sweet and it's does not help the kids eating chocolate in front me. You may laugh but I have been known to ask them if I can smell their chocolate bar as it helps stop the craving I try to eat an apple or berries in yogahurt it's not the same but healthier . I also struggling with ice cream cravings as I have tried a few recipes such the frozen banana but it's not the same ☹️

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got advice on diabetic sweets?
Yes, avoid them for the reasons already posted. I was once given a 'diabetic chocolate' Easter egg - never again!

The thing is, if you're trying to find a substitute for something that you really want then what you find as an alternative will always be inferior in your head, and that's just depressing. If you want to go down the lchf route (it worked wonders for me), then @Winnie53 's suggestions are good.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you tried sugar free jelly?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When I was first diagnosed and gave up sugar and sweets I craved sweet stuff too. Sula and Ricola sweets are sugar free and only have about 3 carbs per sweet. They are available from most supermarkets and Holland & Barretts. I was eating 20-30 a day at first and stocked up with lots when they were on offer. But I don't eat them so much now and they are still stockpiled in the cupboard.
Now I satisfy my taste for something sweet, usually only after dinner, with Oppo ice cream, or some dark chocolate - my favourite is LIDL's orange flavour.

DaveThompson

I keep hearing about this LCHF thing but I have not got into it. I have pretty much cut out all sweet things and alcohol - so far it seems to be working OK. I thought I would find it really hard especially as I love my beers and wines but it's been OK. My wife has been on slimming world and their food is very nice so I will keep on with that. I was diagnosed on 1st July this year and so far have lost 10lbs by diet alone. Sugars down to single figures and currently between 6 and 8 although I did get down to 4.5 after my lunch today. I think I am doing OK so far.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I keep hearing about this LCHF thing but I have not got into it. I have pretty much cut out all sweet things and alcohol - so far it seems to be working OK. I thought I would find it really hard especially as I love my beers and wines but it's been OK. My wife has been on slimming world and their food is very nice so I will keep on with that. I was diagnosed on 1st July this year and so far have lost 10lbs by diet alone. Sugars down to single figures and currently between 6 and 8 although I did get down to 4.5 after my lunch today. I think I am doing OK so far.
@DaveThompson I'm with your approach, and bless her my wife is also eating a lot more healthily. I had given booze up completely for the first couple of months, but have had a few recently, though no where near what I was, and careful what I do drink.
I've lost 4st to date and my BG a couple of weeks ago was 5.6 and a recent hba1c 7.3 (from 11) ...... I'm working on the premise I must be doing something right!
Well done Dave.

Bud_-_Hess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was recently diagnosed type 2. I'm desperately trying to stick to LCHF diet, I need to lose weight as well. I'm not doing too well though I really crave sweets and I feel soooo miserable. Anyone got advice on diabetic sweets?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
My doctor tells me that sweets flavored with stevia instead of sugar are ok for diabetics. I've tried several ice creams sweetened with stevia and they're great.I can't tell the difference.They are more expensive though as is everything that's marketed for people with special needs.Stevia is an all natural sweetener.There's nothing artificial or man made in it.You can find chockolate too with stevia.