What is the best statin to take with type 2

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it would help you to ask for a print out of your last test results, otherwise you are just working blind. It is rarely wise to accept the words "your bloods are fine" or "OK" or "you need statins" without asking why. If your lipid panel is good enough, you probably don't need statins at all, so I urge you to find out just what they are.
Hi and thanks will do what you suggest.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let's keep it on this one, it'll no doubt help the op.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can but a lot of use the SD Codefree meter as the testing strips (which are the main cost of testing ) are the best value. You can buy from
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

they also sell via amazon or eBay...
there are also discount codes to use for bulk buying test strips which I can find for you if interested.
Hi have got a call back from gp on Thurs. no appointments available and will get as much info from her as I can and whether I need statins and if I should be testing.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I think the criteria for prescribing statins for Type 2 diabetics is if you have a QRISK2 cardiovascular disease 10 year risk score of more than 10% (i.e. that you have a 10% or higher risk of having a heart attack over the next 10 years). If you are a Type 1 you are automatically prescribed statins.

https://www.qrisk.org/

The problem is that the QRISK2 score is probably bull and in addition cholesterol levels do not equate with heart disease risk. Puzzling eh? Blood sugar management is much more important as is getting your blood pressure down if it is elevated.

So, the best statin is none statins unless you've had a heart attack where they become slightly more relevant (but not much more).

I don't take statins because I think that the evidence for their benefits is simply not strong enough and the downsides (for me very painful muscle pains in my hands) were too evident.

You will be looked at by HCPs as if you were claiming the earth is flat if you refuse them so it is your choice but it will be an unpopular one.

Best

Dillinger

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After about 6 attempts of trying to get me to take statins my GP stopped mentioning them. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP was adamant I should have them, which resulted in a summer of discontent between us, at which point she gave up and prescribed low dose aspirin instead. 2 years later, when my husband informed her he had stopped taking his statins, she agreed with him and also prescribed low dose aspirin. I think she had been doing some research in those 2 years.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cholesterol was 7'9'when I was diagnosed with diabetes I refused the statins started LCHF my cholesterol is 5'5 now and the breakdown is excellent .I eat lots of cheese and double cream Full fat yoghurt, butter,(I am a skinny )
CAROL

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the criteria for prescribing statins for Type 2 diabetics is if you have a QRISK2 cardiovascular disease 10 year risk score of more than 10% (i.e. that you have a 10% or higher risk of having a heart attack over the next 10 years). If you are a Type 1 you are automatically prescribed statins.

The problem is that the QRISK2 score is probably bull and in addition cholesterol levels do not equate with heart disease risk. Puzzling eh? Blood sugar management is much more important as is getting your blood pressure down if it is elevated.

So, the best statin is none statins unless you've had a heart attack where they become slightly more relevant (but not much more).

I don't take statins because I think that the evidence for their benefits is simply not strong enough and the downsides (for me very painful muscle pains in my hands) were too evident.

You will be looked at by HCPs as if you were claiming the earth is flat if you refuse them so it is your choice but it will be an unpopular one.

Best

Dillinger
Hi and thanks for info will be putting this to my gp thurs am when I get a call back.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My cholesterol was 7'9'when I was diagnosed with diabetes I refused the statins started LCHF my cholesterol is 5'5 now and the breakdown is excellent .I eat lots of cheese and double cream Full fat yoghurt, butter,(I am a skinny )
CAROL
Hi, thanks for reply will be putting this to my gp when I speak to her thurs am. My levels are no where near yours.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My GP was adamant I should have them, which resulted in a summer of discontent between us, at which point she gave up and prescribed low dose aspirin instead. 2 years later, when my husband informed her he had stopped taking his statins, she agreed with him and also prescribed low dose aspirin. I think she had been doing some research in those 2 years.
Hi and thanks for reply I have a call back from my gp thurs am so and will suggest aspirin instead of statins. My levels are quite low compared to some HDL 1-1 LDL 2-1. I no gps don't like being disagreed with so I wont be popular.

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After about 6 attempts of trying to get me to take statins my GP stopped mentioning them. :)
My HDL was 1-1 and LDL 2-1 so I'm going to suggest I stop and switch to low dose aspirin. That should make be unpopular!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply I agree with what you say but reading an article it seems a trial showed some statins were worse than others and I'm on one of the worst so I shall ask it I can be swopped onto another on. I'm taking Atorvastatin 40mg at the moment and wonder if I can insist to be changed.
That is what I take same 40mg I was changed to that from the Simvastatin that I had been taking for about 8 years because at my last annual blood test my cholesterol had gone up and my doctor thought the Atorvastatin may suit me better I have never suffered any muscle or joint pains that some people experience from taking either of them

ruthduf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IMO the best statin - unless it's really necessary to take them - is none. But that's just my opionion and my decision to make for me: it's something you need to discuss with your diabetes support team, we're not actually qualified to make a decision for you.

However, my glucose levels have reduced since I stopped taking them and my cholesterol levels are no worse.

Robbity
Hi my HDL was 1-1 and LDL 2-1 HbA1C 45 aver.6.3 so am going to suggest low does aspirin instead . My blood press is always good . Will be interested to see what gp says on thurs when I get a call back.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Best

Dillinger
I think most doctors say that a diabetic is at risk of heart attack and stroke simply because they have diabetes that is why statins are recommended

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I think most doctors say that a diabetic is at risk of heart attack and stroke simply because they have diabetes that is why statins are recommended

That's true. But why are diabetics more at risk? It's not that they have too much cholesterol it's because of the elevated blood sugars. So address the blood sugars and the heart disease will be addressed too.

In particular if you look at this

and the part about triglycerides and how their reduction (associated with low-carbing) reduces the CV risk.

Best

Dillinger

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP wanted to give me statins. I didn't fancy that since it seemed to take no account of me personally or my lifestyle or general health its just a 'one size fits all' "you're pre-diabetic so you should take statins".
I think that is a very bad approach and one directed more by the drug companies who want to make more money than a real interest in individuals health. I said i would try diet and exercise first (I wasn't overweight so she pretty much scoffed at that). I ignored the NHS advice and went on the LCHF lifestyle. A year on I arranged a lipid panel test and while my total cholesterol had gone up slightly (to 6.0 from 5.5) it was due to an increase in the so called 'good' HDL while triglycerides had halved and LDL also reduced. At same time I got an HbA1c done and it came back in the very normal range.

Sadly I never got to see the doc to tell her how I had done it. All I got was a message via the receptionist who said doc says 'no action needed'. I eat a lot of dairy, cheese, double cream, coconut oil, avocados, fatty meats etc and can say I feel so much healthier in every way than when I followed a high carb diet.

Having done a fair bit of research I also think that too low a cholesterol level is probably more dangerous than too high especially as people get older. After all the brain is made of cholesterol and the body manufactures it. Personally I think the low fat diets as pushed by NHS and statin misuse and over prescribing may have contributed to the increase in dementia cases too.