Thrilled to Find 3C..... Lancing Device Question

Type--3C-mom

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally everything is type 1 or type 2. But I don't fall into either category. I will write my story up later at how I began this category,

I'm terrible at checking my numbers during the day. And I've tried to get better with doing my shots, as I found levimer twice a day is a whole lot more effective than once a day.

One of the reasons I hate testing my blood is that it hurts and everything I went through after my surgery they figured triggered fibromyalgia. I deal with so much pain daily that poking my fingers just one discomfort I don't want. I've been technically diagnosed as a diabetic for 3 years, but I still feel like a newbie because i haven't made it a point to learn more. I know I have to.

I've been using the Bayer's Microlet 2 device, but for some reason it's not working. So I've been testing about 1 time a day just manually poking my finger with the lace. But for some reason it's not working and I need a new device. I have a couple of others, that I may threw out because I didn't like them. The walmart brand one, plus another similar one I can't remember the brand. I also have the one touch delica that uses the special lances. So I used up the lances and tossed it since I didn't plan on buying more lances since it's not standard.

My question is this..... what do ya'll use for a device that is lower pain than others. Or is that just something you put up with?
I've seen the genteel ones but at $130 I'm not itching to spend that right now on a device. But I am considering it since they say it helps cut the pain.

I deal with enough pain daily in general life. Is there a lancing device that feels better to use than the others?

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. I've been mostly looking an amazon just because I have prime.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Normally everything is type 1 or type 2. But I don't fall into either category. I will write my story up later at how I began this category,

I'm terrible at checking my numbers during the day. And I've tried to get better with doing my shots, as I found levimer twice a day is a whole lot more effective than once a day.

One of the reasons I hate testing my blood is that it hurts and everything I went through after my surgery they figured triggered fibromyalgia. I deal with so much pain daily that poking my fingers just one discomfort I don't want. I've been technically diagnosed as a diabetic for 3 years, but I still feel like a newbie because i haven't made it a point to learn more. I know I have to.

I've been using the Bayer's Microlet 2 device, but for some reason it's not working. So I've been testing about 1 time a day just manually poking my finger with the lace. But for some reason it's not working and I need a new device. I have a couple of others, that I may threw out because I didn't like them. The walmart brand one, plus another similar one I can't remember the brand. I also have the one touch delica that uses the special lances. So I used up the lances and tossed it since I didn't plan on buying more lances since it's not standard.

My question is this..... what do ya'll use for a device that is lower pain than others. Or is that just something you put up with?
I've seen the genteel ones but at $130 I'm not itching to spend that right now on a device. But I am considering it since they say it helps cut the pain.

I deal with enough pain daily in general life. Is there a lancing device that feels better to use than the others?

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. I've been mostly looking an amazon just because I have prime.

Hi and welcome to the forums @Type--3C-mom ,

I am currently using the Softclix, and have had it since I read recommendations from other members. I don't have huge experience with lancing devices so I cannot say it's the best ever, but it's a lot less painful to use than the first one I had which was a OneTouch device.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Used many lancing devices over the years but by far the best is the Accu-Chek FastClix, it has a drum which contains 6 lancets and is quite painless.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with noble head. I use the fastclix too, it's definitely the best one I!ve used. I test quite a lot as I am on an insulin pump and also don,t have brilliant hypo awareness!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ditto @noblehead and @scoyyt57 - that's the one I use too. With 30 years of copious yet not very careful testing my fingers are tough as old boot leather, but even on a deeper setting (3 or 4 on a scale of 1-5) I find the Fastclix relatively pain free.

:)

Type--3C-mom

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the SoftClix is a popular device. (I had no clue)

On Amazon there are two types. One that takes individual lances and the other that uses a drum of lances. I'm looking at the one that uses the individual lances. One of the comments said that they don't make the drum one anymore. It's hard to know if it's true or not..... But they also have the accu-chek lances on amazon.

I live in North Dakota, USA, so amazon is a popular place for me to order items as I live in the boondocks. (middle of nowhere, open farmland for almost as far as the eye can see) So I tend to order a fair bit online to get what I want just because we don't have the shopping anywhere close in a 100 mile radius and even then at 140 miles it's more than what I have in my little town, but it's still limited. So online makes it easy. Click and wait for it to be delivered to my door.

I just ordered the one that uses the single lances on amazon, and it will be here Tuesday. (Sunday today) with fast shipping.

Thanks for the suggestions, with so many on the market it's hard to choose. But I have found there is a huge difference in how they feel just from using the few types that I had.

sud5nala

Don't just use the underside of the finger.

Dr. Richard K. Bernstein advises that the best site to poke is the back of the hand. http://www.diabetes-book.com/measure-blood-sugar/ (Dr. Bernstein, who is still alive and practicing, has been Type 1 since the end of World War 2. He is also an MD specializing in diabetes.)

In addition, look for devices that are designed to be able to poke at alternate sites. Google on alternate sites. Alternate sites include on the palm beneath the thumb; forearm; upper arm; thigh; calf. Read the product descriptions to see which of the alternate sites the device has to be designed to use. Online I found one roundup of ten models, and among them the Nova Max product line combined the smallest blood drop size with the thinnest needles.

The rest of the diabetes world, except for Dr. Bernstein, seems not to be aware of using the backs of the fingers.