Shocked!

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

Had my bloods done and the results are in. Really disappointed with the cholesterol results

HDL: 0.9mmols
LDL: 4.5mmols
Trigs: 2.1mmols
Total: 6.4mmols

Other results:
Blood pressure: Dec 2015: 148/100. July 2016: 110/80

Weight: Dec 2015: 14stones 13lbs. July 2016: 11stones 2lbs.

Waist: Dec 2015: 40in (Clothes size 18/20). July 2016: 33in (Clothes size 12).

Hba1c: Dec 2015: 68. July 2016: 39

Doc wants me back on Statins and ughhh the muscle pain So depressing considering my other results since starting on the LCHF diet over the last almost 8 months. Doc saying i should know better....nothing about the rest of my results.

So fed up. Just wanted a vent with my fave folks x

Edited waist....should have read in" not cms lol

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you top heavy on saturated fats like cream/cheese? Mine and my hubbies went in totally the wrong direction on heavy saturated fats. Hubby was put on 40mg Atorovastatin but is off them now. We have Inulin powder, Ubiquinol, (plant sterols and red yeast rice tablets from simply supplements). My cholesterol improved to the best it's been but due to cancer tablets it has slightly changed to wrong direction again. Hubbies stayed improved. We only eat fat from semi milk, slithers of feta cheese , olives, avocados and olive oil on salads. I've also added in bit C tablet as I've been informed this is important for cholesterol and I have had to limit which fruits I can eat due to stomach and colon probs.

I am odd though as I can only eat certain foods now but my hubby has definitely improved long term from changing the type of fats he was eating.

We rarely have meat as I cannot eat meat. We may occasionally have fish. Hubby does majority of days from tuna to cod to salmon but again my colon is to sluggish to handle these often.

Well done on weight loss and other improvements, it really knocks you though when some results seem to be such a set back....

Reactions: 2 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some brilliant results though. Weight loss and size 12! Fantastic I guess you can't have it all! I weigh 11.5 and am still in a size 16! I am very disappointed with that after losing 3 stone. My blood test results this week after 5 months! Keep going there brilliant bits! X

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered very quickly that dairy causes me to bloat and discomfort so stopped all the dairy. However, yes i do eat lots of red meat and pork with the fat, streaky bacon and lashings of butter. I may have overdone this.

Another lesson to be learned. Thank you donnellysdogs! I appreciate your reply very much. This has knocked me but i am about to pick myself up and get in with it. I might refuse the statins and see if i can turn it around before next bloods in 3 months.
I wish u well and hope everything is ok with you xx

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too need to limit saturated fats.. No dairy, fatty sausages, butter etc. I do still eat red meat in small quantities but I trim all visible fat and on,y buy 100% grass fed. The majority of my fats are avocado, olive oil, mayo and pumpkin seeds. My CHO turned itself right back around

Also to add if you are still losing weight those lipids are still circulating and can cause high CHO until it stabilizes.

Lousy place to be.. Raise bs or CHO. if you have been eating high saturated fat I would try more mono/ plant fats.

What is your diet like now? Enough veggies? Also how low carb are you as carbs can be a culprit in high CHO

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty good numbers, lipids can take sometime to get back down it is often said round here, so if you've had issues with statins in the past it might not be the best to rush back to them. I'm currently high lipids and off statins, they're not helping my kidney function, and my GP and I are having discussions as to whether my diet might change them.

Bloods, BP, weight, size 12, what's not to like.
Well done to you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol often rises during weight loss, and for some time after.
Give it a few months before you will see the real results of lchf on cholesterol.

Was it a fasting test? If it wasn't, the trig number is meaningless.

And have you watched Ken Sikaris' You Tube videos on cholesterol?

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kristin251 i had been eating every bit of fat i can find on all meats. Yes it is lousy.....when my bs is raised i feel ill....honestly i have never felt so fantastic since starting LCHF. I do eat large portions of veg with loads of butter. Carbs are 20g daily. Still losing weight albeit slowly now :)

@hankjam....big issues with statins, muscle pain in my legs was awful. Funny u should say about ur kidneys coz my function is raised slightly since off the statins....and thank you :)

@Brunneria i mentioned about the fact i'm losing weight and dont do dairy ect to my GP but he shooed it off saying no....its too much fat in my blood and started doing a script for statins. I said i dont want them at the minute....i want to wait 3 months till next round of bloods. Hes reluctant. I intend to stay on the LCHF as my health and my life has improved so much.
No it wasnt fasting....i had an appointment with the DN the following week for bloods....i only went with a sore throat at 3pm and he told me to cancel the DN nabbed my bloods! I havent heard of Ken Sikaris.....i will certainly watch. Thank you Brunneria :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys

Had my bloods done and the results are in. Really disappointed with the cholesterol results

HDL: 0.9mmols
LDL: 4.5mmols
Trigs: 2.1mmols
Total: 6.4mmols

Other results:
Blood pressure: Dec 2015: 148/100. July 2016: 110/80

Weight: Dec 2015: 14stones 13lbs. July 2016: 11stones 2lbs.

Waist: Dec 2015: 40cms (Clothes size 18/20). July 2016: 33cms (Clothes size 12).

Hba1c: Dec 2015: 68. July 2016: 39

Doc wants me back on Statins and ughhh the muscle pain So depressing considering my other results since starting on the LCHF diet over the last almost 8 months. Doc saying i should know better....nothing about the rest of my results.

So fed up. Just wanted a vent with my fave folks x

NurseDee, a couple of points, if I may.

Some people find that when they are experiencing significant weight loss weightloss, their cholesterol number rise a bit before they start to drop. I don't know how long you've been losing weight, but I'm hoping someone in that category will drip in here.

Secondly, in the picky, picky way I do, could I ask you to have another look the your July waist you have posted. It feels like 33cm (around 14 inches) seems maybe less likely? If not, I want to know why my waist isn't that teenie, tiny!

Fabulous stats though.

Grandma Bear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hope you manage without the statins but my husband (non diabetic) was on them and had horrific muscle pain in his legs. He went back to the docs who changed the type he was on and he was fine. Hubby believes they put you on the cheapest type automatically. I can't believe the number of people who he's mentioned this to and they said they were suffering the same but nothing different had been offered. Most people don't even know there are different types. Well done you on your weight loss and other results !

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NurseDee, a couple of points, if I may.

Some people find that when they are experiencing significant weight loss weightloss, their cholesterol number rise a bit before they start to drop. I don't know how long you've been losing weight, but I'm hoping someone in that category will drip in here.

Secondly, in the picky, picky way I do, could I ask you to have another look the your July waist you have posted. It feels like 33cm (around 14 inches) seems maybe less likely? If not, I want to know why my waist isn't that teenie, tiny!

Fabulous stats though.
Oops nice catch AndBreathe lol! Yeah was supposed to be inches. I also agree with the cholesterol as losing weight still. I said this to GP but still he wants me back on statins. I am saying no till my next 3 month bloods which will be done in a scheduled morning appointment fasting....not when i am in for something else in the afternoon.

You guys are very supportive so i know i am doing the right thing on LCHF and its working do far. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops nice catch AndBreathe lol! Yeah was supposed to be inches. I also agree with the cholesterol as losing weight still. I said this to GP but still he wants me back on statins. I am saying no till my next 3 month bloods which will be done in a scheduled morning appointment fasting....not when i am in for something else in the afternoon.

You guys are very supportive so i know i am doing the right thing on LCHF and its working do far. :)

If it's any consolation, your approach is what I would have done.

Ideally, you really would like to see the trigs a bit lower. I don't know you have watched any of the Professor Sikaris presentations on YouTube? If not, he is considered an expert in Lipids, and he follows a low-carb lifestyle. so many of his presentations are from a personal, as well as professional interest.

I liked this one, but there are several of use in your circumstances:

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's any consolation, your approach is what I would have done.

Ideally, you really would like to see the trigs a bit lower. I don't know you have watched any of the Professor Sikaris presentations on YouTube? If not, he is considered an expert in Lipids, and he follows a low-carb lifestyle. so many of his presentations are from a personal, as well as professional interest.

I liked this one, but there are several of use in your circumstances:

Thanks AndBreathe....it is a consolation and i agree about the trigs. Brunneria mentioned that expert so i will be seeking out his work starting with your video. Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated :)

goose64

your figures look great compared to mine, on LCHF, my trigs were 6.1 on their own, I'm now doing a low fat, lowish carb (aound 90g a day not including veg) and my cholesterol has gone back to my normal levels, last time I saw my DN she advised against LCHF but said I could LCLF - she pointed out that Dr Atkins died from a heart attack & this was probably linked to his diet. My HBAC1 was also within guidelines

I had awful pain on one stating & non of the others have worked enough for me so I'm now on last chance saloon statin (the expensive one) and so far no side effects just hoping it works or I'm back on simvastatin which although it reduced my levels didn't bring them within guidelines

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AndBreathe....it is a consolation and i agree about the trigs. Brunneria mentioned that expert so i will be seeking out his work starting with your video. Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated :)

Excellent. Professor Sikaris talks in simple technical terms, rather than referring to huge tables of tiny numbers. I learned such a lot from him.

My Lipids, when viewed simplistically are troublesome, but with some knowledge and looking at the components they are actually excellent. I've introduced my favoured GP to Professor Sikaris, and her comments on my lipid panels have gone from "They're worryingly high, I want to refer you to a Lipidologist" to "You must be utterly delighted with those numbers". She has done well on the AndBreathe bi-directional lipid educational programme. ;)

With another GP, after a long, rambling debate he eventually agreed (I think he just wanted off the phone to be honest!) that my Total Cholesterol is an inconveniently large number, but the components, and proportions are rather good. My numbers have gone like this:

upload_2016-7-25_9-36-1.png

Good luck with it all. Not everyone can manage to do much about their lipids, due to genetic factors, but the majority can move things in the right direction at least.

I take no medication for anything, and never have.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your figures look great compared to mine, on LCHF, my trigs were 6.1 on their own, I'm now doing a low fat, lowish carb (aound 90g a day not including veg) and my cholesterol has gone back to my normal levels, last time I saw my DN she advised against LCHF but said I could LCLF - she pointed out that Dr Atkins died from a heart attack & this was probably linked to his diet. My HBAC1 was also within guidelines

I had awful pain on one stating & non of the others have worked enough for me so I'm now on last chance saloon statin (the expensive one) and so far no side effects just hoping it works or I'm back on simvastatin which although it reduced my levels didn't bring them within guidelines

That Atkins dying of a heart attack myth just won't die, will it? Apparently it was put about by some vegan activists or something, and took on a mythic life of its own. A google search will throw up the truth. Sad that your nurse has taken that misinformation on board. :(

Congrats on finding a low carb option that works for you. :) I think one of the best things about low carbing is that we can all tailor it to suit ourselves.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just so you don't feel too bad; my last set of results (non-fasting):
(ranges are from the surgery software - I can see my medical records on their system)

Trigs 1.31 (normal 0.3-2.3)
LDL 5.04 (no range given)
HDL 1.84 (0.9-1.45)
Total/HDL 4.07 (no range given)

It is fairly difficult to get definitive figures for "good" numbers.
I am assuming that my total cholesterol is the sum of all three figures, that is (1.31 + 5.04 + 1.84) = 8.19.

Looking online
https://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-high-cholesterol/cholesterol-tests---know-your-number

"
  • Total Cholesterol (TC) - this is the total amount of cholesterol in your blood. Ideally it should be 5 mmol/L or less
  • Non HDL-Cholesterol this is your total cholesterol minus your HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol) and is the sum all the "bad" cholesterols added together (including LDL cholesterol) - ideally it should be 4mmol/L or less
  • LDL-Cholesterol (LDL-C) - this is the amount of LDL-cholesterol), ideally it should be 3 mmol/L or less
  • HDL-Cholesterol (HDL-C) - the amount of good cholesterol, ideally it should be over 1mmol/L (men) and over 1.2mmol/L (women).
  • TC:HDL ratio This is the TC figure divided by the HDL-C figure. A ratio above 6 is considered high risk - the lower this figure is the better.
  • Triglyceride (TG) this represent your body's ability to clear fat from the blood after a meal. Ideally it should be less than 2mmol/L on a fasting sample)
"

Comparing my figures to this, my Triglycerides look O.K. but everything else is high apart from the TC:HDL ratio which looks to be in range. Noting also that the surgery gives a "max" level for HDL where this table only gives a minimum so my HDL is good.

Looking back at the graphs of my history, my cholesterol seems to have climbed a lot since 2012 (which may be when I gave up statins because of the side effects).

My LDL and the Total:HDL ratios have climbed in the last two years (which may tie in with more serious LCHF including having the butter and double cream in the morning coffee).

I am generally fit and well, though, with normal blood pressure. The aortic scan which we are all offered at 65 seemed good as well - no aneurysm and no sign of deposits on the artery walls.

However I haven't had any specific investigation for "furred" arteries so I don't know what the general state of my vascular system is.

My GPs and DN tend to twitch a bit at the cholesterol levels but as I am known as an "active" patient and have come off two different statins they are content to leave me alone for the moment on that.

As far as I know the risks of high cholesterol are being questioned at the moment and I don't seem to be suffering from any obvious problems, but then again people do have heart attacks and then everyone says "but he was so fit and healthy" so what do I know?

I may have to cut out the extra fats in the morning for a few weeks before my next test just to see what difference (if any) this makes.

On kindey function, my GFR has historically been poor; low enough that I am diagnosed with "Chronic kidney disease stage 3 without proteinuria".

However my last two GFR readings were 82 and 70 which is considered O.K. for my age. Note to self: the reading of 80 was achieved by drinking more water than usual for a couple of days before the test. Forgot to do this last time. Must remember to do this again next time. So kidney function possibly not impaired by high cholesterol - at least the GFR results don't track my cholesterol results.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, you beat me to it, that's just what I was going to say.

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you...all of you. I feel more at ease. I think NHS guidelines that i am 'supposed' to follow are poking through my rational thinking! So thank you everyone for the support. Its really helped!! I am sticking with it