Holiday advice needed

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hi all hope your weekend is going well. In 2 weeks I'm due to go to paphos in Cyprus for 2 weeks. Is there any advice anybody can give me regarding bloods in this type of heat or us it a case of everyone is different and affects are varied in person to person? Can I just add I take pioglitazone gliclazide and alogliptin. Any advice off anyone would be amazing, I haven't been abroad since diagnosis 6 years previous. Before then I was an avid seasoned traveller every year and even worked for thomson as a children's holiday rep.
Thank you

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice would just be to test lots, I tend to get lower readings in the heat but some get higher ones so as you say we're all different. I hope you have a lovely holiday Paphos is so beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with Mrsass, especially as it seems - immensely annoyingly - that some people notice that heat has no impact on their bloods, some it makes it go higher, and some lower.

The only thing I would add would be to make sure you are taking on board lots of fluid, because at this time of year, it's likely to be very hot. Dehydration can cause you to feel pretty rough, but it can also drive your bloods up.

Have a wonderful holiday. I loved Paphos, although haven't usually stayed in the resort itself.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Airline snack meals are a problem usually there is nothing very suitable for a low carb diet.
Also very often they run out of some menu options before they get to the midlle of the aircraft so Pre-booking seats at the front of the aircraft may give you more choice however it is a good idea to take something with you.

coxymk2

I was in Paphos last September when the temperature was a lot lower than it it now didn't have any problems with the heat. The only thing I found was I needed more fluids and water is available everywhere so that made life easy. I made sure I had something to eat before getting on the plane so was not bothered about needing anything to eat until we arrived

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Thanks everyone I have pre booked seats and sorting at the front of the plane and having lunch at airport restaurant before boarding. Also going to prepare hypo kit with sweets and glucose tabs ready incase I need them don't normally get them but have had them in the past and with the tablets I'm on they're more common. I'm also due to see my nurse the week before I go so will ask for a letter to cover me at the airport for tablets and Lancets.

Reactions: 2 people