Blood sugar UP overnight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked my sugar levels on Wednesday night, and it was 5.8mml. In the morning it was 6.8mml. Why did it go UP overnight???

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I checked my sugar levels on Wednesday night, and it was 5.8mml. In the morning it was 6.8mml. Why did it go UP overnight???

There could be a number of reasons. The first thing to say is that meters have a margin of error, so you could be 5.5 one minute and 6.2 the next - not because you did anything wrong, just due to variations in its readings.

The other thing to mention is a liver dump, where your body 'dumps' some extra glucose in your bloodstream ready to start the day.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use the search box for "liver dumps" and "dawn phenomenon" you will find thousands of threads about this naturally occurring irritation. It is our livers looking after us, even if we would prefer them not to. ;)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Your body is still digesting food while you sleep! so a rise of 1 is completely normal and I would say excellent control.

Reactions: 4 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha! I have struggled with understanding this since I was diagnosed, I felt that as I'm overweight, people would just think I snacked too much in the evenings, But then, after my GP retired, my new doctor told me that my general levels were just generally too high for my body to cope with over night.
The solution for me was an additional tablet in the morning (I now take gliclacide) Whereas I know that some people want to avoid medication and go for a more natural healthy approach, this has really helped me get my levels to under 7 - when for over a year I was struggling to get under 12.

Reactions: 2 people

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating later in the evening can make it keep going up as you digest the meal later (after you tested). Or it might be the liver dump, bless it. Anyway, you have an admirable range so well done.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha! I have struggled with understanding this since I was diagnosed, I felt that as I'm overweight, people would just think I snacked too much in the evenings, But then, after my GP retired, my new doctor told me that my general levels were just generally too high for my body to cope with over night.
The solution for me was an additional tablet in the morning (I now take gliclacide) Whereas I know that some people want to avoid medication and go for a more natural healthy approach, this has really helped me get my levels to under 7 - when for over a year I was struggling to get under 12.

I would rather take medication to quickly or consistently control blood sugar levels, than be above normal levels and struggle. I think is more dangerous than taking the medication.

Once in control, one can slowly try to get off the medication. But it's nice to always have the medication nearby, just in case.

Try taking the metformin before bed too, it helps with my levels when I wake up (if you are taking metformin too)