Odd nerve 'attacks'

robotears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if this is anything to do with my T1, but lately I've been experiencing these odd feelings that are like having an electric shock through my body. I'm reasonably fit (plenty of running) and good weight / bg control, but these 'attacks' are becoming stronger and I can only link it to my late onset...2 years into diagnosis. It doesn't seem to be connected to exercise, it's happening at random times now. Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

robotears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I say late onset I mean diagnosed at age 41. I'm worried about this and haven't told anyone about it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm worried about this and haven't told anyone about it.

You should mention it to your Dr as it's obviously causing you concern, hard to say if it's diabetes related or not but your Dr will hopefully find the cause.

Best wishes and please keep the thread updated on your progress.

Edit to add, if the symptoms get worse and become regular you should ring the NHS 111 or call an ambulance.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In my face, across my shoulders into my arms and hands. Sometimes in my legs.

You say in your opening post that the attacks are getting stronger so I suggest you seek urgent medical advice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Static??

Serious response... I've had the odd jolt off cars.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my face, across my shoulders into my arms and hands. Sometimes in my legs.

Ok - the reason I was asking was because I wondered whether it might be a back or neck issue. I've had both sciatica and a trapped nerve in my neck. The sciatica caused tingling, shooting pains down my leg and also up towards my shoulder, and the trapped nerve in my neck made what felt like static electric shocks and tingles run down my arm and into my fingers.

I don't know if you have anything like that, but I'm saying it because what you're feeling may not be diabetes related and could have a number of causes.

Definitely see your GP. If you can, try to write down exactly what you feel - where, how long, what kind of feeling, etc - because that will give your doctor clues about what to check.

I know it's easy to,say and hard to do, but try not to worry. Get to the doctor and see what they say.

I hope it can be sorted for you.

Take care and best wishes.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be.
Log these events with any relivant activities, environments, (certain places.) & clothes worn... Yep, I said clothing. Certain fibres cause static...

robotears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Have that weird muted feeling because of diab issues...like I've gone on about stuff for a while and now no ones really listening. You're probably right...nothing to do with T1 but I've never been properly ill before and suddenly I have a 'serious' thing to consider.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. Have that weird muted feeling because of diab issues...like I've gone on about stuff for a while and now no ones really listening. You're probably right...nothing to do with T1 but I've never been properly ill before and suddenly I have a 'serious' thing to consider.

Doesn't sound T1 related and closer to some sort of nervous system issue. Try not to panic and get booked in to see your GP as soon as you can. As suggested, make notes of what and where you are feeling shocks, weakness or any other symptoms.
Hug of support.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was having nerve jolts when I went too low carb on lchf diet. Once I reintroduced a little breadcrumbs, it stopped. Very edgy too.
Are you low carbing right now?

robotears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having nerve jolts when I went too low carb on lchf diet. Once I reintroduced a little breadcrumbs, it stopped. Very edgy too.
Are you low carbing right now?

Yes. Because my bod is waaay sensitive to insulin, I've found the best strategy is to keep doses low (I'm only 0.5u ins : 10g carb) and then I don't spend all day yo-yo ing. I'm sure that this has been there pre-lchf, though of course I can try this. Thanks

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you. Have that weird muted feeling because of diab issues...like I've gone on about stuff for a while and now no ones really listening.

I hear you on this. It is something that has taken over your life and you need to talk about it but those closest to you just seem to tune you out after awhile. It's not that they don't care, they just don't have any frame of reference and don't understand why it is the only thing you seem to think about. The people on this forum will never do that. Stick with them.;):confused::p

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. Because my bod is waaay sensitive to insulin, I've found the best strategy is to keep doses low (I'm only 0.5u ins : 10g carb) and then I don't spend all day yo-yo ing. I'm sure that this has been there pre-lchf, though of course I can try this. Thanks

How did you get on @robotears ?

Reactions: 2 people