Libre readings way out

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
new sensors for a new job and so far they have been 2-3 mmol out from the blood readings but today its been 5 mmol out (reading higher) how far out has it got to be before you can get a sensor replaced? Plus the sensor had a reading error at around 4.30 for 1 hour.

Any help is welcome

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phone Abbott up - in my experience they have been happy to replace sensors with readings that far off (allowing for the time delay between blood and interstitial tissue). They will want the faulty sensor back to check it, so don't throw it away.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
H @Gaz-M Are you leaving the sensor for 12 hours after applying ? As takes time to calibrate. I had the same issue, my readings were out by 5mmol/l when either high or low, which I found quite worrying, I called them up to report this and was sent a replacement, I suggest you call them to report this as they should be able to advise further.

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Sounds like a faulty sensor. I've had 2. The guy at abbott the first time claimed readings had to be 30% out but looking at their website and t& cs they are marketing on being as accurate as a meter except in certain circs therefore 15% would be the deviation as that's what it is for meters. However they will only accept the readings if done on freestyle strips and need 3-5. Call them up describe the situation, they'll send you aome strips and then call back with the readings. Make sure to emphasise you're type 1 as they send strips faster. It's frustrating both the not working and doing this but when it works well it's amazing.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
new sensors for a new job and so far they have been 2-3 mmol out from the blood readings but today its been 5 mmol out (reading higher) how far out has it got to be before you can get a sensor replaced? Plus the sensor had a reading error at around 4.30 for 1 hour.

Any help is welcome

Gaz, my experience has been they use the usual meter tolerances of +/-15%, over a couple of readings.

If I have something like this, I usually do some prep before calling, by jotting down a few readings and tests and quote them, with the times. I've never asked for a replacement (they've always stated the sensor appears faulty), and the only time they almost persisted was when I hadn't used an Abbott meter to do the finger prick tests. It needn't be the on-board Libre meter, but they wanted an Abbott meter.

Give them a call if you haven't already.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
hmmmmmm I'm on the Insight pump so will try ring them tomorrow and see if they will send some strips out :)

Thanks all of you ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hmmmmmm I'm on the Insight pump so will try ring them tomorrow and see if they will send some strips out :)

Thanks all of you ;)

Ring them and tell them what's happening. If they ask you why you haven't tested using a Libre meter, I would explain that as you have here about your pump. (Sorry, does it have an inbuilt meter then?)

When this happened to me, I just went and acquired some Abbott strips, because it was just so outrageously out, but also wrote to them and explained what had transpired, reiterating that I do not have strips prescribed, so it simply wasn't possible for me to swap prescription items. Furthermore, I thought it very poor form that having paid c£50 for a sensor, then I had to spend more to help them ascertain their product was faulty. By then the sensor was just reading permanently "Lo". At that point, I was sent a replacement sensor, plus a small pack (of 10) strips.

I can write a decent "special feedback" letter, even if I say so myself. ;)

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
mine has also been out a lot so much so I don't use it anymore. Just not good enough. I had one sensor replaced after contacting them but was a nightmare to get it replaced by them. The second time I contacted them the normal desk people were busy so I was diverted to a technical person. He asked how many times a day I scanned, it was 25 he thought I was scanning too much and that could be the cause.
When I examined the sensor, in the back is a small button battery. So I phoned the help desk again and told them what I had been told by the technician. I then told them I was an electrical engineer and I would test the battery with my Fluke test meter.
They then became a lot more co-operative and supplied me with a replacement.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mine has also been out a lot so much so I don't use it anymore. Just not good enough. I had one sensor replaced after contacting them but was a nightmare to get it replaced by them. The second time I contacted them the normal desk people were busy so I was diverted to a technical person. He asked how many times a day I scanned, it was 25 he thought I was scanning too much and that could be the cause.
When I examined the sensor, in the back is a small button battery. So I phoned the help desk again and told them what I had been told by the technician. I then told them I was an electrical engineer and I would test the battery with my Fluke test meter.
They then became a lot more co-operative and supplied me with a replacement.

Did you up-front ask them to replace the sensor, or did they decline to replace it, after they had run through their diagnostic/assessment script/process?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Did you up-front ask them to replace the sensor, or did they decline to replace it, after they had run through their diagnostic/assessment script/process?
sorry I can't remember the exact proceedings. but I phoned them 3 times The first time a man made me feel a bit dissgusted with his abrupt attitude. Then I spoke to a technician who suggested I had been scanning too much. the third time i told a lady what the technician told me and that I was going to test the battery It was then that I got a lot more co-operation. I am not though totally against them maybe I had a bad batch. I have recently been given a new blood meter which is often 1% in error to my old one. So I guess nothing is totally accurate yet.