sugar in fruit....

rolyatluap

HI I am a type 2 diet controlled (at moment and forever hopefully)diabetic and I am a little confused as my diet at work is fuelled by fruit which consists of a couple of apples a banana and some grapes a collegue suggested grapes are full of sugar albiet natural and i am confused is sugar in fruits just as bad as other sugars cheers .....

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The only way to find out for sure is to test after eating different fruits. Generally berries are lower in carbs and bananas are high. Some people can tolerate more fruit than others.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Paul :D

It sounds as if you need the Collins Gem Carb Counter or similar which is available at most book stores. This will give you the lowdown on a wide range of foods and help you to keep control.

A small handful of grapes are ok for me but I can’t have a whole banana at present but we are all different. The only way you will know for sure is to self-test before eating and again two hours afterwards which will indicate how your body handles the carbohydrate.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
biochemically, sugar is a group noun, naming a whole raft of compounds.This leads to confusion between people who use different meanings.
The white crystals you buy in 1kilo bags at the supermarket is properly named sucrose. the sucrose molcule is a disaccharide, made up of 2 chemically joined parts, one is glucose,the other fructose.
All are energy storage compounds made in plants by photosynthesis. Glucose is often thought of as the simplest sugar. Actually there are plenty of simpler ones, but Glucose is a simple biologically active organic molecule. Glucose forms white crystals too, which are very soluble in water and taste sweet.Fructose is also a simple sugar. It too forms white crystals, is soluble and sweet, actually a lot sweeter than sucrose. Most fruits store energy as fructose. Grapes contain a lot of Fructose. It doesn't actually raise blood sugar very much or very fast, but there are other issues with it. I won't go into that. I don't want to write a sugar chemistry text-book. Many plants store their glucose by making it into long chains and then folding those chains. That is called starch.
So for anyone who likes big words to coonfuse their HCPs with. Glucose is a hexose monosaccharide,Fructose is a hexose monosaccharide. Glucose forms a 6 carbon ring, where Frucose has 5 carbons in its ring and one elsewhere in the molecule. Sucrose is a disaccharide formed from Glucose and Fructose and starch is a polysaccharide formed of chains called amylose and amylopectin.
Many sugars raise blood suar, if they convert easily to glucose.
note the name key "~ose" if you see this on a chemical name, it usually means a suar and so watch out becareful with it. One exception is sucralose or Splenda, which is a chemically modified sugar and isn't biologically active
Hana

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
its trial and error as we are all different, i personally rocket too high with grapes,bananas and peaches :)

lilibet

All sugars are not good for us
Its just a matter of what, where it comes from, what it does to us

I am ok with most berries, strawbs being a bit more spikey for me but still ok

However, bananas, mango, pineapple = BARGEPOLE

And I have insulin to 'cover' it (cough!)

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat most fruits and at least 6 peices a day which include apples, oranges, pears, kiwi, peaches and Bananas and to be honest they dont effect my BG, i have checked 1, 2, 3 and 6 hours after to make sure. However a slice of bread has an amazing effect :shock: :shock: :shock:

Basically we are all different so the best way is to try some fruit and test your BG to see what happens.

Eat to the meter!

Brian

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I eat lots of Fruit too. I love Pineapple but can only eat a slice of a medium one, tastes delicious lightly grilled and with a dollop of low fat Creme Fraische.....mmmh ! I eat Oranges, Apples, some small slices of Mango, Lemon's, Lime's but all in moderation. I even weigh them to calculate the carb content and control portion sizes tightly.

One surprise I had was that I was 'prescribed' a Banana a day and told to drink more Coffee. Suits me as I love them. Reason for the unusual advice was because I had a Potassium deficiency.......bring it on ! :D
It certainly worked, last blood test showed the levels as all being normal. Still going to carry on though.

rolyatluap

Thanks everone even you hana I think I get it very technical but interesting that sugar has many elements most appreciated more reading for me I think, you are all right everyone is different and I think I need to experiment with my meter and different fruits so I can get a better balance..once again thanks to this great site even the questions you are think are to simple you dont want to ask for the embarassment are answered in a sympathic way..........

Happy days everyone : - ) :wink: :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've just been reading this online article which other forum users may also find of interest:

Patients afflicted with diabetes (or people who know of a diabetic patient) are always asking what's the best fruit to indulge in if you have this degenerative disease. There are a lot of diabetic patients too worried that fruit intake may increase their blood sugar levels since fruits are primary sources of fructose. Good news, there are fruits that a diabetic patient can enjoy and indulge in that will not significantly alter their glucose levels at an all time high.

Here is a link to the full article:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Fruits-to-Eat ... id=3477343

rolyatluap

Thanks ardbeg great article it ties in nicely with what hana said and has confirmed that my love for apples can continue not to sure about the banana and grapes just in moderation.....

thanks

pt :D

witan

I'm not too impressed with that ezine article. In this country many dried and canned fruits can be bought that have not got added sugar, and can be a great benefit for getting fruits you like out of season.

Of course the drying process (even for the ready to eat dried fruit) does concentrate the natural sugars, but if there is no added sugar it can't be worse than the real thing AS LONG AS YOU CONTROL HOW MANY YOU EAT. It is easy to overindulge in dried or ready to eat apricots for instance more so than you would with the natural fruit.

I've never seen anything to support the benefits of Grapefruit in the control of blood sugar, and for all those Diabetics using Statins for Cholesterol control of course Grapefruit is a no-no.

I am fortunate in that I seem to be able to tolerate fruits quite well and eat a big variety every day, I prefer the real thing but sugar free canned and dried fruits are convenient when the fresh ones aren't around. Roll on the summer when I can pick fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries, and very soon now the first forced rhubarb, from my allotment.

eekins

I'm similar to Brian. I generally stick to Apples as far as fruit goes which have little effect on my bg but a slice of bread or any grain based carbs/sugars have a big effect.

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I'm following the Glycaemic Load diet and have found it to be extremely good. I'm T2 on Byetta, have stopped injecting insulin, and following the GL diet have lost 2 stone, and keep BM's between 4.1 and 7.0. The GL list tells you what fruits you can eat freely, even including tinned and dried.

Romola

Am with sue 32. A low glycemic load eating regime (refuse to use the "d" word!) works really well for me. I eat fruit two or three times per day - but just one portion at a time.

Same with low GL starchy carbs.

The advantage of GL over GI is that it takes account of the quantities eaten.

.... and you can lose weight easily and painlessly whilst still enjoying your food.