Hello, I am Type 1 Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, everyone I'm new to the Diabetes community.. Have had Type 1 for 12 years... Made an account recently because I wanted to meet other people with the same condition as mine... Other people that understand what its like to have type 1. This diabetes has been a roller coaster ride and I'm sure many of y'all can relate.

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Colombiana7263
welcome to the forum :)
nearly 44 years here -- and at times it can be a bit of a roller coaster ride.

hope you will enjoy spending some time here.
there are a lot of great people in our community

all the best !!

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Colombiana7263 :)

I've had Type 1 for 20+ years and have experienced the dreaded rollercoaster too. Type 1 is hard work so it's nice to be among people who understand :)

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Colombiana7263 Welcome to the forum ;)

Lots of us around here to chat to, so you can always share your experiences with people who understand 100% of what you're going through - am only 4 years myself but aiming to have many more healthy, happy years ;)

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll find lots of understanding here @Colombiana7263 :) It really is great to be with people who know what you're going through - we can all ride the roller coaster together!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll find lots of understanding here @Colombiana7263 :) It really is great to be with people who know what you're going through - we can all ride the roller coaster together!
I agree it's nice to be around people who understand what I'm going through and we sure can ride this roller coaster together. Its very nice to meet you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @Colombiana7263 Welcome to the forum ;)

Lots of us around here to chat to, so you can always share your experiences with people who understand 100% of what you're going through - am only 4 years myself but aiming to have many more healthy, happy years ;)
Yes we have to aim for long healthy, happy years :). We can't let this disease beat us... We have to be strong... It's good to meet you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Welcome @Colombiana7263 :)

I've had Type 1 for 20+ years and have experienced the dreaded rollercoaster too. Type 1 is hard work so it's nice to be among people who understand :)
Hello, I agree it is alot of hard work... Im so happy to meet other people like me thank you for taking your time to introduce yourself Its very nice to meet you... :D

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, don't mind all the crazy people (they are probably just a little hypo right now).
If you are based someplace you can hook up with the folks on here on some of the meetups (in pubs usually) that get organised I can highly recommend it.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Columbiana7263,
I too can relate to the roller coaster ride - mostly triggered by Low Blood Glucose Levels. It happens usually when something unexpected happens. Just the other day we were late having dinner because my daughter called. She had just got back from one of her deployments with the navy and gave us a call. My spouse took the call and it didn't take me long to figure out it was my daughter - but my BG levels were getting low (2.8) so I told my spouse and them my son to talk to her first while I frantically downed a sugary drink to get my BG levels back up.
As you probably already know, it's easy to over-compensate. I got on the phone still feeling low but alive. We had a good talk and as I got off the phone I tested myself again and this time I was at 14.5 - quite a difference from the 2.8 that I had tested before downing the pop - so I gave myself another shot to get it back down.
That's a typical roller coaster event for me. Having spoken to other type 1s this seems to be a common challenge. When your really low it's like your survival instincts kick in and you start eating - compensating for the lows but it's difficult to stop eating thus causing your blood sugar levels to go too high (from a low).I've been living with type 1 for 50 years and I still haven't been able to compensate without hitting a high. I do a better job of it now but it takes a lot of discipline.
I find Blood Glucose levels also influence ones mental health or disposition. When I hit a certain blood sugar range I'll get really grumpy. I'm lucky to have friends and family that will recognize this and provide understanding and support.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @columbiana7263

Nice to meet u! I'm type 1 diabetic for 18 years! And now on my second diabetic pregnancy! It definitely is a roller coaster! I've certainly had my ups and downs! It's a massive pain in the arise sometimes but if we keep ourselves happy and healthy, there's nothing we can't do! X