Insulin change causing high's BS readings

clarey123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, New to the forum. I have been a type 1 diabetic for the last 15 years. I was on novomix30 until the beginning of July and have been changed to levemir and novorapid since the change blood sugars have been all over the place and I am waking up between 12-16mmol in the mornings. I was well controlled on my novomix30 but had several serve hypo's this is the reason for my insulin change.
Would anyone suggest having more levemir at night or is it this causing the highs?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @clarey123 :)

Sometimes a swap to a different regime can take a while to get your dosages right.

Do you take one injection of Levemir a day or two? When do you take it?

clarey123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I am carb counting which is all new to me was recommended to use a 1:8 ratio

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I am carb counting which is all new to me was recommended to use a 1:8 ratio

If you weren't carb counting on mixed insulin that might have contributed to your hypos possibly.

Have you done some night time blood tests to see when your blood sugar starts to rise?

What's your blood sugar like before bed?

clarey123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before bed blood sugars are around 4.9-6.2mmol. Have done a few 3am tests which were all around 9.8mmol, which I why I think I should possibly be taking more levemir to keep it down

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always check with your DSN if you're in any doubt, and make any changes in very small increments.

Your bedtime sugars seem fine.

If you do put your evening Levemir up, test during the night and give it a few days before adjusting again if you need to.

Good luck :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @clarey123 as your nighttime levels are rising, and with your bolus having been depleted it leads to correcting your basal rates - as @azure has said check with your DSN as you are on a new regime they will want to keep a close eye on you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Before bed blood sugars are around 4.9-6.2mmol. Have done a few 3am tests which were all around 9.8mmol, which I why I think I should possibly be taking more levemir to keep it down

If the basal dose (levemir in your case) is set at the right dose your fasting bg levels shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol/l, I'll include a link to basal testing which explains how to do the test in different time frames, but agree with @azure that you should check with your DSN if ever in doubt about anything:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Good luck.