800 calorie diet

eve0

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi read and done my research on the Michael Mosley 800 cal blood sugar diet book , so I'm starting it tomorrow using the low carb low fat nutrient packed shakes with lots of veg/ salad and plenty of water, has any one else done it ?
Be good to share experiences wish me luck and il keep posting xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck! I don't eat a low carb diet but I do eat reasonably low calorie (not really by choice though). The first couple of weeks were terrible - I was always really hungry and I lost weight unintentionally. I have not managed to gain the weight back but I'm not as hungry as I used to be, so that's a positive.

fene48

Hi read and done my research on the Michael Mosley 800 cal blood sugar diet book , so I'm starting it tomorrow using the low carb low fat nutrient packed shakes with lots of veg/ salad and plenty of water, has any one else done it ?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Hi eve0
I have done the diet (the Newcastle Diet, basically the same) with good outcomes. Everything that Prof Taylor wrote was pretty well what I experienced.
Definitely drink lots of water as recommended - the vegies should take care of the constipation side of things. Just couple of other points:
1. Please do it under medical supervision. You will probably have to have your medications adjusted (if you are taking any). Also keep a watch on gall stones as the risks are elevated on this VLCD.
2. You will lose a massive amount of weight in the first week or two but its mainly water.
3. The thing to watch is loss of lean muscle tissue - once its gone it takes a lot of hard work to get it back. Also, make sure that you include lots of resistance exercises as this will minimise muscle loss.
3. Extra protein. I was advised by my dietician/nutritionist to have an extra 15g of protein in liquid form within an hour of resistance exercise (to minimise muscle loss). Its extra calories, but well worth it in the end.
4. When you have finished the diet and you transition to 'normal' eating ( whatever that may be for you), expect to gain back around 2kgs as the body re-balances itself.
5. Your calorie intake may have to be cut back by 30% compared to what you could consume before.
(Apologies if the above is in the Moseley's book - I did the diet before his book was out.)
I found it quite easy for the 8weeks and was really stoked with the results. Of course its a challenge to keep on track afterwards, but an eating pattern that suits your carb tolerance and tastes is not too hard to sort out.
Best of luck and good on you for taking it on.
Regards and keep us posted.
PS the www.thebloodsugardiet.com is a great site for further info and blogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Fene 48, is the muscle loss a huge problem? Husband is going to try this diet but at 70 and with 3 heart attacks behind him he's not going to be able to get back lost muscle..
eve0 what shakes are you using?

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi read and done my research on the Michael Mosley 800 cal blood sugar diet book , so I'm starting it tomorrow

Good luck eve0!

My husband and I both did the diet, starting in January. We really enjoyed it and found very little hardship in following the guide lines. Recipes we particularly enjoy are the Turkey Burgers, Spag Bol with spiralized courgettes, smoked mackerel and orange salad, skinny kedgeree, courgetti prawns!! We are real fans of Dr Sarah Schenker who wrote the recipes.

We completed the 8 weeks, and have now adopted the suggested way of eating into our lives - sort of merged it with low carb/moderate fat, adding a few more calories, but having a couple of fasting days now and then.

My husband has lost 4 stone and is feeling years younger and really healthy. I have lost a total of 3.5 stone, my diabetes has reserved, a recent glucose tolerance test put me in the pre diabetic range, I am now off all diabetic medication.

Some people have commented that it is a bit extreme, but that was certainly not our experience. An average day would be berries and full fat yoghurt for breakfast, soup or a salad for lunch, followed by an evening meal of meat or fish with lashings of green veg.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum[/QUOTE]