Diet drinks y/n???

add19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure this has been visited many times before, and hope you don't mind the post?

I am still very much struggling with everything nutritionally regarding my new found situation, but one of the only areas I'm currently comfortable with is drinks. Many years ago I gave up 'full fat' fizzy drinks in favour of diet / zero / Max varieties of drink - fully aware the sugar content was waaaaay to high for good health etc (laughable where I now find myself I know). In fact on occasion previously having no alternative but the 'full fat' versions I find them toooo sickly and prefer to go without. However since I can no longer partake of my love of Stella (which I am finding the hardest part of all in all this) I don't know why, but have re-acquainted myself with drinks I soooo loved in my childhood, Dandelion & Burdock and Cream Soda. I have found all the major supermarkets stock 'no added sugar' varieties of these, which are allllll green and seem to have no sugars, etc, etc, which I do like and now 'treat' myself to in an evening.

The question I ask is are these OK to drink? Or are there hidden 'risks' for me with these. I have heard the odd comment that they are not good. Is this yet what I thought was another acceptable part of my former life I will have to deny myself??

Thanks
They are addictive and makes you eat more. I drink black, green tea and unsweetened/ cocoa. Every once in a while ice cold flavored sparkling water nothing more.

Sonnyboy123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been drinking two cans of Diet Pepsi a day for about three years and about four months ago, decided to stop. Not easy, but cold turkey worked for me. Since then I have suffered no pain in my hand and toe joints, which previously was a constant. I had one a couple of weeks ago and the pain spasmed in my toes before I had finished it! Nuff said.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been drinking two cans of Diet Pepsi a day for about three years and about four months ago, decided to stop. Not easy, but cold turkey worked for me. Since then I have suffered no pain in my hand and toe joints, which previously was a constant. I had one a couple of weeks ago and the pain spasmed in my toes before I had finished it! Nuff said.

That's a new one!
There has been so much scientific research on diet drinks and there has been NO proof of any negative effects from diet drinks. Pshycho sematic or otherwise!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

That's a new one!
There has been so much scientific research on diet drinks and there has been NO proof of any negative effects from diet drinks. Pshycho sematic or otherwise!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Fascinating anecdotal evidence:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

K

Kat100

Hello , you have some feedback .. Great to share :)
Here's mine ..
Sparking water .. I love added lime , fresh or juice no added sugar of course
Yes I do sometimes drink zero drinks .. Fanta I love ..
But my favourite is old fashioned ginger beer ...sugar free ..

I recall ice creams are another summer topic With or without sweeteners ...
Do you have the one with sweetener in it
Or a very small portion of the good quality .. Ice cream ..
Back on topic ... Just thinking about both for a moment then .. Must be the heat

Personal taste ..and moderation of course .. But it's a yes from me ..

JeffGoodwin

In 1974 I became a type 1 diabetic and in early 1975 I made my first trip to the USA to work. Still in my infancy with carbs and sugar and stuff, it was great to see DIET TAB. Ever since then I have drunk all types of sugar free drinks and I drink them regularly, I mean 2 or 3 times a week. I have my six month checks and as for the diabetes I am sound, with no problems at all. I drink slim line with all my alcohol, that is gin, whiskey and vodka. It makes the statement "you will never drink alcohol again" my doctor told me when he diagnosed me, completely irrelevant. I know some people here have some strong views on sweeteners and alcohol, but I think that after 42 years as type 1 my view is just as relevant.

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
davej1950,, I take it you asked for slimline tonic with the gin?,,so when they served you brand, without telling you they arin brof trading standards, i.e false description of the goods (tonic) sold to you,,, if this has been the reason for a hyper due to drinking the other type, then she could have sued the bar management for the wrong serving,,,deliberately without telling you. I told a barmaid off for falsely saying she was serving "diet coke" to a customer, when she was not in fact it was "full sugar",,I pointed out the person might have been a diabetic and he should have offered the bottled option,, I am so glad that the evening was saved from becoming serious,,, I have occasionally had a diet coke or coke zero when the mood has taken me, and sometimes I don't finish it off as the bubbles make me feel bloated and burping,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soda stream & Tesco One squeeze is what I use (some are higher than others) apple & blackcurrant 0.1 carb in half a cup :)

grand mort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure this has been visited many times before, and hope you don't mind the post?

I am still very much struggling with everything nutritionally regarding my new found situation, but one of the only areas I'm currently comfortable with is drinks. Many years ago I gave up 'full fat' fizzy drinks in favour of diet / zero / Max varieties of drink - fully aware the sugar content was waaaaay to high for good health etc (laughable where I now find myself I know). In fact on occasion previously having no alternative but the 'full fat' versions I find them toooo sickly and prefer to go without. However since I can no longer partake of my love of Stella (which I am finding the hardest part of all in all this) I don't know why, but have re-acquainted myself with drinks I soooo loved in my childhood, Dandelion & Burdock and Cream Soda. I have found all the major supermarkets stock 'no added sugar' varieties of these, which are allllll green and seem to have no sugars, etc, etc, which I do like and now 'treat' myself to in an evening.

The question I ask is are these OK to drink? Or are there hidden 'risks' for me with these. I have heard the odd comment that they are not good. Is this yet what I thought was another acceptable part of my former life I will have to deny myself??

Thanks
The truth is most off these drinks are bad for you, fill of chemicals. Diet coke and zero are additive and will make you fatter than the real thing. And another thing, no added sugar often means that there is no added sugar to what is already in there. Read up about these things on the net and you will see what i am talking about.Its a big battle because off all the false advertising that company's put out to sell these products . Its all about money and not peoples health. Good luck.

means

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
If we are talking solely about the effect on blood glucose levels - which appears to be the case - then these drinks are fine. Additives, chemicals etc are a different ball game.
Its down to personal preference, I haven't got a sweet tooth so prefer sparkling water. If I do fancy something with a bit of flavour, I go for diet lemonade. I can't stand "brown" drinks like coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper etc. Ew.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thank you all .....

Personal preference prevails - bring on the Dandelion & Burdock!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss making margaritas made with water, cane sugar, fresh lime juice, and various alcohols, some sugary, topped with more fresh lime juice. Well that's not an option now, and the low carb margaritas I've tried don't even come close. I really think it's the sugar and lime combination that I liked the most, okay and maybe the tequila too, but I drink red wine these days.

Last week, a co-worker introduced me to a non-alcohol version of a mojito, and I decided to make a low carb version from ingredients from our local food coop/health food store. (I live in the US but have provided UK equivalents of measurements).

We've had a week of hot weather, so I gave it a try...

16 ounce (1 2/3 cup in UK) glasses, chilled in freezer
1 1/2 small (or 1 large) limes juiced into each glass
4 leaves of fresh mint added to juice then crushed with end of wooden spoon
4 ounces (1/3 cup plus 2 dsp in UK) of Zevia Lemon Lime Twist soda or equivilent- (0 calories, 2 carbs, 0 sugar; sweetened with Erythrilol (2 g), Reb A (stevia extract), monk fruit extract). Ingredient list reads: carbonated water, erythrilol, citric acid, natural flavors, Reb A (stevia extract), monk fruit extract)
4-5 ice cubes
Top with Gerolsteiner sparkling natural mineral water or equivalent
Stir and serve

It's light, refreshing citrus drink with mint made with natural sweeteners. Perfect for a hot summer evening. It wasn't what my husband expected at first, but he likes them too. Not sure how one drink affects my blood glucose levels, but not too concerned because I only make 3 batches a year of these types of drinks in the summer. Lemonade sweetened with a few drops of Stevita liquid extract increases my blood glucose levels too. Happily, lemons and limes are low carb fruits.

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
A little now and then in moderation seems just fine. Well done on managing to give up the Stella! I've been drinking diet no-added sugar drinks occasionally (maybe 3 or 4 times a month) for many years with no noticeable problems - but maybe it works differently for people with Type 2?!

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also drink diet drinks, in my teens I probably drank more diet drinks than I do these days but still enjoy the odd tipple! (I'm quite partial to the odd stella too since you mentioned it!) Of course you can include diet squash in the equations too, I used to drink Robinsons R but I favour water over it now! But now and again I still love a diet coke, as others have said, in moderation, it's hard to give everything up!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The truth is most off these drinks are bad for you, fill of chemicals. Diet coke and zero are additive and will make you fatter than the real thing. And another thing, no added sugar often means that there is no added sugar to what is already in there. Read up about these things on the net and you will see what i am talking about.Its a big battle because off all the false advertising that company's put out to sell these products . Its all about money and not peoples health. Good luck.

means
That's interesting: diet coke makes you fatter than real coke then? What is the mechanism behind that? Definitely worth investigating.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Two years back when I went Keto I was super strict with everything but over the last year I have relaxed a little and have lo carb beers (coors lite) and red wine mixed with either diet lemonade or diet coke. blood sugar always goes down rather than up due to the alcohol (Hba1c for the last 2 years has been 5.3%). I have no problems and I think in an otherwise healthy diet (at least for me) diet drinks are not a problem. you do not have to become a monk just because you have diabetes. I think some of the rhetoric around the internet regarding diet drinks etc. comes from a political (food conglomerates) starting point rather than anything to do with nutrition or health.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all,,,I still like a 'fizzy' drink on occasion,,,all from the zero, no added sugar, diet ranges,,,,I had a small glass of lilt and enjoyed it,,,, I stay with the no added sugar fruit and barley squashes from Robinsons,,,,it seems enjoyable and when from the fridge is a cool drink,,,everybody should have the choice of a 'special drink' every no and then,,,,the drinks have different effects on everybody,,,,and too much fizz makes be bloated,,,I am thinking about what to bother with for crimble,,, I did not bother last year,,,,enjoy your favourite and special tipples,,,and be happy safe and warm,,,,ttfn from Karen.