JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@add19 80g may seem a lot but twice that could be considered low carb at a stretch. It's each to his/her own We all must decide for our selves what we consider low or not 30g is by some here thought of as quite high and there are also some here who eat no carbs at all.

C

catherinecherub

I barely eat 30g of carbs(lunch, dinner). 80 is a lot
You missed two words off the end of your post @add19 and they are - for me.
Look around the forum and you will see that there is no uniformity in the amount of carbs that members must eat to manage their diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

jcqlnprc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have diagnosed with type 2 5 months ago.
I have not use any medicine. My glucose level in morning is 111-125mg/dl
I have a question with all experts. my glucose level after 2 hr eating 80 g carbs goes to 221mg/dl and after 3 hrs eating 140-170 mg/ dl.
Did this range harmful for me.
Did I need medication or just proper dieting?

Please help me I am worried.

Sent from my QMobile A10 Noir using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Hi, I'm classed as prediabetic at the moment and being checked out by my Doctor every 5 to 6 months.
However, I have found that even one slice of bread (approx 15 to 17 gm carbs can knock my levels up to 11.2 mmol/l (201.6 mg/dl). I try to avoid it at all costs, but I find that if I need to eat bread, that pitta doesn't knock my levels up anywhere near as much..... just a thought if you like bread !
I try very hard to keep my daily carbs between 15 and 25 grams per day and found it help a great deal in controlling my sugar levels.

Jac

Reactions: 2 people

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@add19 80g may seem a lot but twice that could be considered low carb at a stretch. It's each to his/her own We all must decide for our selves what we consider low or not 30g is by some here thought of as quite high and there are also some here who eat no carbs at all.
That's why we say, 'eat according to your meter'. test before eating and two hours after. That's the key. Combining carbs with some protein and fat can help reduce its negative impact on the BG.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Before I started watching my carbs I did a few calcs and I believe my carb intake was 300+g a day. With little guidance I decided to drop that to 150g or less. Just a few months later I had lost 2.5 stones, shed 2 or 3 inches off my waist and brought my HbA1c down to the high 30s. I believe the amount of carbs you get by on is a personal thing.
This last year has been very stressful and I haven't been doing the calcs. I expect it to go up again in late August. So I'll do it again :)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not everyone suffers from the side effects of Metformin. Many people have taken it for years without issues. It is a good safe drug. Some people do suffer with tummy problems at first, but this usually disappears after a couple of weeks.
Metformin is an old drug, and is really cheap, even if one takes the brand name one. Equivalent are costing less. Statins are more costly and normally could have worse side effects than metformin, for instance.
I've had some problems for the first month under metfotmin, but all stabilized. Actually sometimes I have to take some laxatives, go figure!
However, it is up to you. I advise you to see a doctor so you can receive the proper diabetes care such as regular HbA1c tests, other essential blood tests, foot care and retinal eye screening. . If he gives you Metformin you don't have to take it. The decision is yours, not your doctor's.
If you aren't taking the medications from your doctor, I strongly advise to change the doctor or at the very least have a frank talk, beacause this is a clear sign you don't trust him, and not following the prescriptions could make your doctor confused and give you a wrong cure.

faisalayaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is an old drug, and is really cheap, even if one takes the brand name one. Equivalent are costing less. Statins are more costly and normally could have worse side effects than metformin, for instance.
I've had some problems for the first month under metfotmin, but all stabilized. Actually sometimes I have to take some laxatives, go figure!

If you aren't taking the medications from your doctor, I strongly advise to change the doctor or at the very least have a frank talk, beacause this is a clear sign you don't trust him, and not following the prescriptions could make your doctor confused and give you a wrong cure.
I got control without medication.
After eating rice my sugar level was 104 mg/dl

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It doesn't have to be either/or it can be both use all methods available simultaneously.