Really confused, test say I am no longer Type1.

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So im súper confused. I was diagnosed with type 1 after going into dka bit after coming home i wasnt needimg my insulin as muchos as i should so they sent me for a ogtt (with this kinda lime sugar drink yuck) i got the results today and fasting was 5.3 (at hone i tested as 9.8?) and after 2 hours was 5.5(i tested as 22.3 and felt really ill so took insulin) they've said they were wrong and im not diabétic? Whats caused the difference in test results as i felt like it was really high? I hav a blood problem like sickle cell trait could this cause the problemas? Thanks xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Tulip01 Have you had a GAD test to look for antibodies? That test can help tell you if you have Type 1 as it looks for the autoimmune response.

When were you diagnosed?

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't a clue. Did you point out the difference between your tests and theirs?

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tulip01 Have you had a GAD test to look for antibodies? That test can help tell you if you have Type 1 as it looks for the autoimmune response.

When were you diagnosed?
I was going to some antibody test and a fructomasine (i think ive badly misspelled that) as i cant hace a hba1c im really confused as at the hospital they were 100% certain im diabetic? Xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't a clue. Did you point out the difference between your tests and theirs?
Yeh i did they lady on the phone was very rude and told me i clearly wasnt diabetic and for me to book a gp appoitment xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to some antibody test and a fructomasine (i think ive badly misspelled that) as i cant hace a hba1c im really confused as at the hospital they were 100% certain im diabetic? Xx
I didnt see the last bit sorry i las diagnosed july 17th i think xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

So is this your surgery who are questioning your results? if it is, ask to be referred back to the consultant at the hospital. I find it hard to understand how someone can have DKA and not be diabetic.

Surely that wasn't misdiagnosed?

Reactions: 4 people

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So is this your surgery who are questioning your results? if it is, ask to be referred back to the consultant at the hospital. I find it hard to understand how someone can have DKA and not be diabetic.

Surely that wasn't misdiagnosed?
Im certain im diabétic its not a thing that can just change right? Its rally confusing my blood sugar was in the high 30s when i was diagnosed. If i wasnt diabétic surely taking the insulin would literally kill me im so confused. I liked my consulant he las really good he wanted to test for some genetic thing xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im certain im diabétic its not a thing that can just change right? Its rally confusing my blood sugar was in the high 30s when i was diagnosed. If i wasnt diabétic surely taking the insulin would literally kill me im so confused. I liked my consulant he las really good he wanted to test for some genetic thing xx

I'm not a medical person in any way, but it does sound strange to me. I'd definitely be pushing to see a consultant and get an explanation.

Was the genetic thing MODY that he wanted to test for?

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a medical person in any way, but it does sound strange to me. I'd definitely be pushing to see a consultant and get an explanation.

Im not sure i think bits becuase running through it almost every member of my family has a form of diabetes like my grandad is type 1 but doesnt need insulin anymore (He's 93 but thats not normal aperently) and thats really common for hu family

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

In just a bit worried tbh coz i just tested my glucose now its 15.6 which is by far diabetic? Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im not sure i think bits becuase running through it almost every member of my family has a form of diabetes like my grandad is type 1 but doesnt need insulin anymore (He's 93 but thats not normal aperently) and thats really common for hu family

I stress again that I'm not a medical person in any way, but you might want to read up on MODY just in case thats what they're thinking about.

Yes, 15.6 is high but you've mentioned a blood issue. Is it actually sickle cell or is it something similar? You don't have to,say what it is if you don't want to :) My only concern is whether that may affect your blood sugar testing in some way. It's important that you're certain your meter is giving you accurate results.

Did your surgery give you any information about what to do?

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stress again that I'm not a medical person in any way, but you might want to read up on MODY just in case thats what they're thinking about.

Yes, 15.6 is high but you've mentioned a blood issue. Is it actually sickle cell or is it something similar? You don't have to,say what it is if you don't want to :) My only concern is whether that may affect your blood sugar testing in some way. It's important that you're certain your meter is giving you accurate results.

Did your surgery give you any information about what to do?
Its heamoglobin sickle C which is sickle celll trait and heamoglobin C trait mixed which creates a form of sickle cell disease but less sevre than SS (very confusing) and it can affect some blood tests such as hba1c as that tests heamoglobin xx i hav two metres and they both give the same reading xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its heamoglobin sickle C which is sickle celll trait and heamoglobin C trait mixed which creates a form of sickle cell disease but less sevre than SS (very confusing) and it can affect some blood tests such as hba1c as that tests heamoglobin xx i hav two metres and they both give the same reading xxx

Ok - I did a little,reading and it sound like it wouldn't affect a blood glucose meter, just the HbA1C (but obviously I don't know for sure). If you've washed your hands and are sure your test is correct, then it does sound like you might be high.

My only worry is that above you've said the results your surgery got during the OGTT and they were very different to yours. That worries me. Did they give any explanation for the different figures?

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok - I did a little,reading and it sound like it wouldn't affect a blood glucose meter, just the HbA1C (but obviously I don't know for sure). If you've washed your hands and are sure your test is correct, then it does sound like you might be high.

My only worry is that above you've said the results your surgery got during the OGTT and they were very different to yours. That worries me. Did they give any explanation for the different figures?
Nope the lady das extremly rude on the phone, it worries me as it wouldnt be the first time ive had blood resulta that r wrong come from blood testing place.... Im going to book a gps appoitment for monday and ask if they can re test or something xxx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they have mixed your results up with someone else.

- in which case, someone else is facing a shocking diagnosis!

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope the lady das extremly rude on the phone, it worries me as it wouldnt be the first time ive had blood resulta that r wrong come from blood testing place.... Im going to book a gps appoitment for monday and ask if they can re test or something xxx

Whatever your results you shouldn't have been spoken to,rudely and you should have been given more information. If that happens to,you again, ask to speak to a doctor or a senior member of staff (I'm presuming you spoke to a receptionist). It's your health and you are entitled to be given the information you need and to know what's going on.

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if they have mixed your results up with someone else.

- in which case, someone else is facing a shocking diagnosis!
I hadnt even thought of that but they might hav alot of pregnant women were doing the same test at the same time as me, its worrying to think they may have but it is very posible xx

Tulip01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whatever your results you shouldn't have been spoken to,rudely and you should have been given more information. If that happens to,you again, ask to speak to a doctor or a senior member of staff (I'm presuming you spoke to a receptionist). It's your health and you are entitled to be given the information you need and to know what's going on.
I was really shocked by it tbh normally they're a bit rude but not that rude xx