Dexcom G4 Transmitter Battery Replacement DIY

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey forum,

As soon as I bought my Dexcom I started looking for a tutorial to replace the transmitter battery, I searched high and low and I found a couple but they seemed fairly messy and could easily go wrong. Seeing as my first transmitter just died on me after lasting 13months of continuous use i started looking once again and found a fantastic tutorial on DIY battery replacement!

I have nothing to do with this tutorial, i take no ownership and played no part in its creation I am simply sharing it with this forum in hopes that it saves us all money!

Tutorial found here -https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dexcom+G4+batteries+Replacement/55536

As I now have my first dead transmitter i plan on giving this one a shot in the near future and will keep everyone posted on how it works out! I suggest anyone with dead transmitters lying around give it a try as well - they are already dead, and you may end up saving lots of money - so keep us posted as well!

Hope this helps some people out, and hope its not a repost lol

Cheers

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does it matter if the transmitter has gone past its "sell by date" when you try to replace the battery? I've got one that is date expired - does anyone know if that would still be useable if I replaced the battery?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it matter if the transmitter has gone past its "sell by date" when you try to replace the battery? I've got one that is date expired - does anyone know if that would still be useable if I replaced the battery?

Thats what I am doing.

I don't think the dates on the transmitter apply to anything besides the batteries as the wiring and boards and what not should all work for many years as long as they have good batteries in them. I don't a reason to think the rest of the transmitter would ever expire.

On that note - I have ground down the plastic shell to expose the batteries and still working to get the contacts off. Its proving to be a PITA, but for the money, and the fact that I only have to it once a year it seems worth it still haha.

I'll probably post pics or vids once its all complete and successful. Otherwise I'll have to wait a year until my next one dies lol

Best of luck @crashinduction ! Keep us posted!

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As an update here -

I have successfully shaved down the transmitter and followed all the steps in the guide posted above and everything checks out!

I now I have a working transmitter! ... now i just have to wait a year until my latest one dies to use this one lol

I know this post is more exciting for me then those reading this, but this thread is to show you that the Dexcom G4 transmitters can be re-used as many times as you'd like, and that the work required is fairly straight forward and easy.

The only tools i used was a cheap Dremel kit i picked up at the hardware store and 2 small drill bits that came with it as well as a smaller flat head screw driver to pry out the batteries and contacts.

Hopefully everyone can save some money! If you have any questions please send me a PM and I will try to help out.

Reactions: Bobbin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I now I have a working transmitter! ... now i just have to wait a year until my latest one dies to use this one lol
Wont the battery be flat by then? Congratulation on making it work though you have more patience than me.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wont the battery be flat by then? Congratulation on making it work though you have more patience than me.

It will be flat, yes. I haven't filled it in with the resin yet for that reason. I did tape the batteries in and complete the tests as the DIY stated. Come time i will fill it in for use and just sand it down. I don't see a problem, as long as the contacts stay in touch with the battery I can't imagine any issues.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies for posting on multiple threads, but just thought that I should share this info with the self funding CGM community. Ps I've no financial interest in this, just think it's a massive money saver. I'll be sending mine to him when the battery dies.
On eBay atm is a guy offering to replace batteries on the slim Dexcom G4 transmitters for £61 plus £13 delivery. He offers to replace your own G4's batteries, guarantees them for 6 months and epoxy glues them back up.
I've no experience of his work personally but it looks like a winner to me!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191969031178