Carbs

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
85% or 90% chocolate is fine. I am not in the UK so I don't know your brands but lindt is good

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my dear, no need to kick chocolate yet. Save that as a last option!!! ;)

I switched from milk chocolate to dark, then gradually to 70% cocoa solids. Now I prefer it, and think the milk stuff is sickly and tasteless. I can easily cope with 2 squares after lunch, and 2 squares after dinner, and consider them the highlight of the day. Not that I have them every day, but I could if I wanted to - the feeling of choice and anticipation are what makes things work for me.

How about thinking about the things you LOVE and finding ways to make them work, rather than kicking stuff out from the start... this way of eating has to be enjoyable and sustainable, or you will fail. We would ALL fail if our diets were deprivation and denial for ever.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would kick the crackers and breads way before dark chocolate. I had to kick chocolate because it caused cravings for more. But that was the only reason. As OCD as I am, if I'd eat choco, anyone could lol

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nosher8355 I can't eat dark chocolate because I have an inflammatory response to it (and coffee...[sigh]), but it was a useful addition to my low carb diet. I value your opinions. Can you elaborate on why dark chocolate 70% or 85% cocoa is bad? Thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355 I can't eat dark chocolate because I have an inflammatory response to it (and coffee...[sigh]), but it was a useful addition to my low carb diet. I value your opinions. Can you elaborate on why dark chocolate 70% or 85% cocoa is bad? Thanks!

I replied to the wrong post! Doh!
I eat 85% chocolate myself.

I should have been replying to the poster that said she didn't reside in the UK!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Chalup, you mentioned Lindt, thats Swiss and i live here in Switzerland. Ok lets try dark choco and see. I seem to be ok at 80g of carbs as long as that is made up of veggies and fruit. Cant eat whole wheat bread so went for "pain de fleurs" crackers, no salt, no gluten, no eggs, no sugar. They have them on Amazon (5g carbs per cracker)https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Fleurs-Crispbread-Buckwheat-Ounce/dp/B00B07YKDK

Right, got carbs, fat and protein sorted. (Thanks à million!).. Now what about Tofu???? Any takes on that.

Alicki (really happy about learning to manage all this!)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chalup are you confused by the posts regarding dark chocolate?

Dark chocolate with 70% or more cacao content is a low carb food. It's okay to eat. If it spikes your blood glucose, try eating one square instead of two, try a different brand, or try a dark chocolate bar with 80% or more cacao content.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorrry to Bug nosher. But what about tofu?? Thanks god for dark chocolat - my gallbladder seems to tolerate chocolate!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorrry to Bug nosher. But what about tofu?? Thanks god for dark chocolat - my gallbladder seems to tolerate chocolate!
Never ate it, never tried it!
Never heard of it till about ten years ago!
Sorry can't help!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The tofu available in many supermarkets here is by Cauldron Foods and is only 1% carbs so shouldn't trouble your blood glucose levels, but you know the rules - test, test , test! :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some tofu is made with grains, read ingredients. Also soy is very heavily sprayed and I think for some it can cause intestinal issues but give it a try.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@chalup are you confused by the posts regarding dark chocolate?

Dark chocolate with 70% or more cacao content is a low carb food. It's okay to eat. If it spikes your blood glucose, try eating one square instead of two, try a different brand, or try a dark chocolate bar with 80% or more cacao content.
No I was telling the OP that dark chocolate is ok to have. I am confused by Nosher actually. I am the person who is not in the UK but I have no idea what he was trying to say to me. :confused: Everyone thought it was funny.o_O I'm lost lol