re feeling tired and sleepy

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my name is david and im type 1 diabetic and for 2 months i been feeling sick and i having pain in my arms/ legs and i feel like all i want to do is sleep
anyone can help or gave some advise
medication im on
Clenil Modulite 200micrograms/dose inhaler
Paracetamol 500mg tablets Issued
Ventolin 100micrograms/dose Evohaler
Loperamide 2mg capsules
Citalopram 20mg tablets
NovoRapid FlexPen 100units/ml solution for injection 3ml pre-filled pen (Novo Nordisk Ltd)
Lantus 100units/ml solution for injection 3ml pre-filled SoloStar pen (Sanofi)
Lansoprazole 30mg gastro-resistant capsules

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no i been on them for over 5 months and i been feeling really sick latey and ii dont know why

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've been feeling sick & sleepy for 5 months and you were diagnosed with type 1 2 months ago? I'm going to suggest the two might be related. High blood sugar can make you feel exhausted and rough. What has your blood been looking like since diagnosis?

Reactions: 2 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are your glucose levels stable now? I ask because it can feel very strange when you have had a period of high sugars going back to normal sugar levels. Your body takes some time to adjust again to the 'norm' and can make you feel tired and even a little shaky! Or as @catapillar has said if they are still high that can also make you feel pretty rough and sick. Are you testing regularly? It is fairly early days and I hope you are getting adequate support with your treatment.

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i been diabetic since last year the insulin i was on was gave to me under 9 months and i always have high sugar levels

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always having high blood sugar could well be making you feel ill. It's worth having a chat with your doctor about. Are they giving you any advice on getting the blood sugar under control? If you've been running high for the last 9 months since diagnosis, that might be something you want to ask them for some help with. How high is is high? How are you using your novorapid and lantus - what sort of doses are you on? Are you carb counting?

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nurse put my doses up to 16 units and 18 unit at tea time and lantus is up 28 units at bedtime
and nope to carb counting and will try to soon

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So youre on fixed doses, but on a basal bolus regime?

Thats not really using basal bolus to the best of its ability. How it is supposed to work is you adjust your fast acting insulin to match the carbs you are eating - so your 18 units at tea time might work if you are having something with a decent amount of carbs in, but might actually drop you a bit low if you are just having salad. Have the doses been decided on with any guidance on what you should be eating?

Have you been given any guidance on correcting high blood sugars? Do you know the targets for type ones? We are supposed to be 4-7 pre meal and under 9 90mins after eating. If you're spending a lot of time above these targets, that could explain why you might be feeling ill and sleepy. Not to mention the risk of long term complications...

Of course, I'm just assuming when you say high you're meaning that your blood sugar is sitting in double figures? Are you testing before and after eating? What do you blood sugar levels actually look like?

There is a free course on carb counting course that's worth a look - http://www.bdec-e-learning.com

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So youre on fixed doses, but on a basal bolus regime?

Thats not really using basal bolus to the best of its ability. How it is supposed to work is you adjust your fast acting insulin to match the carbs you are eating - so your 18 units at tea time might work if you are having something with a decent amount of carbs in, but might actually drop you a bit low if you are just having salad. Have the doses been decided on with any guidance on what you should be eating?

Have you been given any guidance on correcting high blood sugars? Do you know the targets for type ones? We are supposed to be 4-7 pre meal and under 9 90mins after eating. If you're spending a lot of time above these targets, that could explain why you might be feeling ill and sleepy. Not to mention the risk of long term complications...

Of course, I'm just assuming when you say high you're meaning that your blood sugar is sitting in double figures? Are you testing before and after eating? What do you blood sugar levels actually look like?

There is a free course on carb counting course that's worth a look - http://www.bdec-e-learning.com
yes they still stay at double figures

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes they still stay at double figures

Ok. Well, blood sugar levels in double figures all the time is pretty much double normal blood sugar levels. If I were you, when I saw the doctor today I would be asking for advice on and help with how to get my blood sugar more towards normal. I would also be asking what my hba1c is. Hopefully if you get your blood sugar more towards normal you won't feel so rough and you will reduce your risk of diabetic complications.