Help please - freaked out - is GAD indicitive of Type 1?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Just worth mentioning that GAD antibodies are not only related to diabetes but can be related to other health issues.

Doug

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for the duplicate post, but realised this might be a better place to ask: I've just been to the GP and he advised me that my GAD result is extremely elevated.

I was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago, but because I'm not very overweight (my BMI is normal, though I have too much belly fat) and relatively young, they were running Islet and GAD antibody tests... the Islet came back as normal, but the GAD - which has only just come back - is 1682. The normal range is 0 - 5.

My GP was pretty useless as he says he doesn't know anything about what GAD test results do and don't mean - and then started reading from the screen which said 'further tests may be required for epilepsy...' - and then he said a few other illnesses that I've never heard of. He then said I would need to speak to my diabetes consultant, who of course I won't be able to get hold of now till monday morning at the earliest.

Do any of you know what GAD test results mean? Does is mean I'm definitely type 1, even though my Islets were normal?
I am very prone to getting very wound up and anxious with things relating to my health, so if you do know it means something awful, can I ask you be sensitive in how you reply as I'm really, really worried... thank you x

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sunshine_Kisses...I have just received my GAD test result and was told mine is very high...I fact one of the highest the consultant has seen for a long time! It was 4257 he said I undoubtedly have type 1 diabetes but I stupidly didn't think to ask what else it might mean! He also told me that the normal range is 0-5. So I am very interested in your post! I must admit I am very well...so not too worried about the result. :rolleyes: